What's new

Bewitched Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
It would stand to reason that the colorized episodes have an inferior image. The B&W film elements were retransferred to HD for this set, whereas the colorized versions were made years ago, with who-knows-what kind of transfer standards.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I ordered the Colorized set. I'm not quite the expect on TV that you all are...I just enjoy watching TV. So when I get it in and watch a few episodes I'll let you know what I think about it. Since I'm just your average TV viewer.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Trying to find the Black and White version of this set in stores is like trying to find someone that would say that they were a witch in Old Salem!!!!!

Damn I hate this mainstream world where B & W doesn't appeal!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Try Blockbuster- I was trying to get a color set there, but they only have the B/W version! (I tried several branches)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm buying it in B&W come hell or high water. I am pissed off about the absence of the logos, but if the episodes are uncut then it is not a deal breaker. But considering TV Land's tapes have them it is a little annoying. If "227" can keep the Embassy logo, and then put the current Sony Pictures Television one after it, why can't Bewitched keep its respective logos?

The Partridge Family S1 did not have Screen Gems on it, either.

The Screen Gems logo has appeared on "Brian's Song" and "QB VII," in color. The "S" was first used in 1965, BTW, and was retired after the 1973-1974. A history of Columbia's TV logos can be found here (they're sorted by corporate owner, and the availability section is out of date on many):

http://members.fortunecity.com/teamfx2000/

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I wasn't able to find the b&w sets either...though I only checked at Best Buy and Circuit City. I really hope to find it because I want both.

Today I've watched the first episode, "Be It Ever So Mortgaged", "Help, Help, Don't Save Me", "The Girl Reporter", "And Something Makes Three", "Love is Blind", and "A is for Aardvark". So far it's just seriously awesome to see these episodes crystal clear! I've also noticed that they are not speeded up like they are on TV. I don't know if any of you have noticed that but you can tell they play a little different, BETTER!

The color really pops! It makes the episodes seem to have more depth visually though they aren't as 'classic' feeling as the original b&w.

I love the menus! I had hoped they would incorporate the cartoon witch.

I'm also liking the chapter stops. Makes it so much easier to skip the generic and, in my opinion, annoying not-first-season theme song. Not only is it the third season but there is an extra line for the newer copyright. I just honestly do not understand why they couldn't use the first season generic opening that N@N used if they insist on not using the sponsor openings.

I liked the interviews with Herbie J, William Asher, Erin Murphy, and Kasey Rogers.

I found the "Magic and Mishaps" featurette unnecessary and a little ridiculous. That space really should've been used for the few first season promos that exist.

I also really think that the cover designer should've done more research into which seasons those pictures come from! It makes me wonder what it going to be used for the future seasons.

But back to the greatness of unedited episodes! I'M LOVING IT!

I would give the overall grade of a B+/A-.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Are there any PD videos that contain those great animated Chevrolet openings to be found anywhere? It's a shame they weren't included in this set. Another golden opportunity missed by the studios!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Sort of. I saw the colorized episodes on the Hallmark Channel. It was the best colorization I'd ever seen, but it was still awful. The reason is fairly simple: It's artificial. It has nothing to do with reality.

When I was a kid I stupidly took my copies of "monster magazines" and colored in all the black and white pictures. Today these magazines go for $100+ on eBay. My "colorized" versions are worth zero.

I suggest you just pretend that colorization was never invented -- forget about it -- stick with things the way they were intended to be -- don't watch color movies in black and white -- don't watch black and white movies in color -- keep things simple -- you'll be happier in the long run. :)

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Ok...I got my colorized set in the mail yesterday and I watched the first 3 episodes. I was VERY happy with everything. I was happy to watch this classic show, that I loved watching as a kid...in syndication, again and enjoying it just as much this time around as I did back then. I was happy with the menu and the look of the discs and case. And I really enjoyed seeing the episodes in color. For me color makes all the difference. Now before you all flog me for saying that you should know that I am just an average viewer...I'm not a collector, just a person who enjoys watching TV.

To summarize, I am very happy I got the colorized set. I think I would of been disappointed with the B&W version since I was never a big fan of B&W to begin with.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Costco in Henderson NV had 3 B&W sets and over 20 of the colorized sets. I find it interesting that no where on the colorized packaging does it say this is a colorized version of something that was originally in Black and White. It just says in color. False advertising if you ask me.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I have a strange question that doesn't have to do with the first season. Does anyone remember a color episode where Uncle Arthur dresses up as Superman, and I think he says "It's a Bird, It's a plane, it's Superman!" as he starts to fly? I would like to know since the show was made by Screen Gems/Columbia Pictures, did they have to get the rights from Warner/DC Comics? Also, does anyone think there will be a problem with that scene making it to the DVD release?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Wendy_L:

First, welcome to HTF TV/DVD section from a member in Dallas :D

"For me color makes all the difference. Now before you all flog me for saying that you should know that I am just an average viewer...I'm not a collector, just a person who enjoys watching TV."

Second, "Naw...we wouldn't do that" ;) Although I'm one of the B&W crowd, we'll let the #'s do the talking...sales #.s, that is. It'll be interesting to see which set sells more, the color or B&W.

BTW, I've been a member here since the 1st of the year, and there's a lot of very knowlegeable members here regarding TV series info. I tend to fit into the "halfway" section between yourself and the "aces" on this forum :D

I'm also one of the "non-marathon" TV/DVD viewers. I usually have between 10-15 series that I'm watching on a rotating basis. I've never "marathon'ed" watched a TV/DVD set (yet, that is...if they release my "fanatic" series...that'll be the exception to the rule :D )

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Carlos, that is a 6th Season episode entitled "Super Arthur." I doubt it would be a problem for DVD release, as it has a special credit to DC on the closing credits of the episode. And it still plays in the various syndication packages. (But then again, I'm never surprised at legal wrangling in the biz.)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I'm still enjoying the hell out of having BW on DVD but I came across a little teensy tiny problem in one episode.

It comes from Episode #16: "It's Magic" on disc 2 about 10 minutes into the episode. It's during the scene when Samantha has made the parrot appear on the back of the chair. The problem is right after she says, "Noone's ever called me 'Buster' before." Zeno says, "Not you..." and he goes to point to the parrot. Samantha nods her head to signify that the parrot needs to leave. The scene switches back to showing Zeno and the parrot and it disappears.

On the DVDs (b&w and colorized) when it switches to showing Zeno and the parrot the sound effect plays right at the scene switch and the picture pauses a little bit (like one second) with the parrot all ready being gone!

Now the reason I noticed this is because on the Columbia House tape this was always one of my favorite "pop outs" because it was executed so well by virtue of the actor standing perfectly still...I wonder why it's messed up on the DVDs.

It doesn't really distract from watching the episode because there are many times when a pop out was executed they would just do a cut away and have the sound effect play at the scene switch...but in the original on this episode you actually see the parrot disappear.

Aside from that minor infraction (and no 1st season cartoon graphics) I'm LOVING THE DVDS!

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone else caught the flub on the back cover of Discs 1 & 2?
On Disc 2 Episode 10: Just One Happy Family
Darrin finally meets Victor
, Samantha's warlock father, who, disapproving of his daughter's marriage to a mortal, simply makes his son-in-law disappear. Maurice Evans guest stars.

Samantha's fathers name was always Maurice - where did they come up with Victor on the episode blurb?

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Have only watched Episodes 1-4 so far...been busy. Wanted to watch more last night but had things I needed to get done.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Yes, "Victor" was to be Maurice's name in the original script......but how the Sony people found *that* out, i'm not sure.

I am a Bewitched fan-and-a-half, so of course i was longing for these for a good long while, and i"m probably 90 percent happy about them.

The look of the episodes themselves is pretty great.
Some episodes look better than others, but considering the age of the materials......

I am very disappointed in the credits sequence.
Has it been mentioned that on many of the episodes,
the music is not even syncronized with the picture?
Sam twitches, but the music hasn't caught up yet...
Sam flies through the BEWITCHED logo but the musical
effect is late.
UGH.
really poorly done.

And the sound quality of the theme (not the episodes themselves, thankfully) is atrocious.
It sounds like an old tinny radio.
They have a stereo version of that exact first "generic"
theme....why was it not used????????!!!!!

And yes, i'm annoyed that there is no Screen Gems logo.

Finally,
i wish that the original air dates appeared
on the set, if only on the packaging.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I've only watched the Pilot Episode But I am impressed with the Original B&W prints. I've never Been A B&W Snob, I used to love the B&W eps of a series as much as the Color. One thing I remember about the 1st season of Bewitched and am having a fond remembrence when watching is how much Smoking , Drinking and Womanizing there was in this first season. Darren is much more of a Swinging Dude here. Always at the Bar or with Drink and Cig in Hand. It also looks like he was a bit of a babe magnet as well.

Now where is I Dream of Jeannie ? Samantha was a cutie but Jeannie was the 1st TV babe I had the hots for.. ok nuff said

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I agree Jefferson...the original airdates should've been included.

I wish that Sony would do a chat here so that we could get answers as to why the original generic opening at least wasn't used and why the sponsor openings couldn't have been included at least as extras instead of that stupid "Magic and Mayhem" clip.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I watched the first two episodes last night. They look good except for a scratch that appears for about 5 minutes over the screen.
This show still holds up. Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks