What's new

Bewitched Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Great thread.
I'm a long time poster at the HarpiesBizarre Bewitched site,
though i dont use my own name there.....

I cant wait for this release, although I am holding no hopes for them including the longed for sponsor openings.

I love the first season, especially the "A is for Aardvark" episode.

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
I have Bewitched Season 1(the original b&w version of course) on pre-order as I have been waiting for years to have the episodes uncut.Hopefully none of these will be syndicated versions.My real concern on this release will be the quality of the transfer.36 episodes at a 1/2 hour each + bonus features crammed onto 4 single sided discs seems like a lot of compression to me and my fingers are crossed that the video will look very, very good.I can hardly wait until June 21st!:)

Pavan_P

Second Unit
David*P, I thought we'd have the sets by early this week, but it probably will arrive tomorrow. So, if that is the case, expect the review this weekend.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Thanks for responding Pavan...I can't wait to read your review!

Jefferson, I suppose don't need to say this, but I'm also a long time frequent poster/contributor over at Harpies ...though I don't use my "mortal" name either...

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I believe I read on one of the Bewitched fan sites that the syndicated version of the black and white years use the 1966 credits (3rd Season)with the color turned off. The way you can tell is that the copywrite date under the title "Bewitched" says 1966 instead of 1964 or 1965 .
It would be interesting to learn if that is what was used on the new DVD set. Can any reviewers comment?

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Too bad, you're missing out on great shows like I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show and others. Of course, they can always colorize those shows too, which in time they probably will. :)

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
I wish more TV shows on DVD could be colorized like this one for seasons filmed in black and white.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Personally, I hope this horrible Sony "Frankenstein" experiment with coloring great Black & White television fails miserably and we never have to see such a grotesque monster again. :D

Gary "I honestly do hate this scenario Sony has presented, but as long as they always offer these shows in their original formats (i.e. in glorious b&w), I won't raise too much of a ruckus" O.

Pavan_P

Second Unit
Garysb: The black & white set has Copyright MCMLXVI by Screen Gems Inc, which is 1966. So, I guess they are using the S3 theme.
The color set says: Copyright MCMLXVI by Screen Gems Inc
Copyright 2000 CPT Holdings Inc. So S3 theme for that, too.

This probably is the only complaint I think the set will have. It looks to be a great set! Nice slimcases, too! Look for our reviews soon.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

Well, that gets a big DAMMIT from me! But I shouldn't be at all surprised....it would've been so cool to have the original sponsor openings, even as an extra...maybe they'll do a super spectacular 50th Anniversary release...but as long as these episodes are uncut I suppose I can forgive.

Thanks for keeping us posted, Pavan.

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
Great review,Pavan! I'm so glad that these are re-mastered eps and that the video quality is good! This also bodes well for the "Bewitched" release.I watched the first pilot for "Tabatha"(spelled correctly)back in the 70's(first run) but did not care for it.Maybe it was because it came so close on the heels of the original Bewitched series end.The original concept you mentioned would have worked better if it had starred Lisa Hartman instead of Liberty Williams.Lisa Hartman looked like she could have been Liz Montgomery's daughter as she had similar looks and mannerisms.Just couldn't get used to a brunette Tabitha.Thanks again for sharing the info and in-depth review!

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Oh, I should've checked here first! LOL I just read at Harpies that you had posted your review of Tabitha so I commented about it in the Tabitha thread..oh well! It's got me all excited to hear about BW which is arriving in just ONE WEEK! Almost too good to be true!

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Ok, I'm just about to pre-order this series and I can't decide if I want to go with the B&W version or the colorized version. I've seen so many of these episodes countless numbers of times that I think it would be neat to watch it in color.

You know, I remember I liked the colorized verison of "It's a Wonderful Life" better than B&W, so I just answered my own question. I'm getting the colorized version.

I'm also pre-ordering Tabitha. I don't remember a single episode of that show but I do remember I loved in when it was originally on the air.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I've noticed, once again, that women are overwhelmingly more likely than men to opt for colorized versions of B&W films. I'm not sure why this is, but I have some theories which I better keep to myself.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Hahaha, Joe, let's not go there. Maybe some people just like color better. Me, I'll stick to the original as it looked when it first came out. I'm old enough to have seen them that way originally, so that's the memory I have of these shows. Bewitched, Jeannie, Gilligan, My Favorite Martian...I remember them all having the first season in color...Then there's a show like the Andy Griffith Show, that in my opinion should've never gone to color...Those color episodes I try never to watch...but that's another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks