What's new

Bewitched S.3 episode fixes with Mill Creek? (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
jcroy said:
The question is whether Sony actually gives a damn about their tv on dvd reputation being tarnished in this manner.
The average consumer is not a connoisseur of DVD/Blu-ray quality that those of us on here are. They remember watching it "back in the day" on their 25" console TV with a rooftop antenna that probably brought in a snowy picture. To them, this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. :lol:

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters
25" TV? Seriously. Only if you were rich. Back then, most families had a 15-20" CRT TV. I remember that time because TV's were a luxury, expsnvie item back then, color TVs even moreso.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
25" TV? Seriously. Only if you were rich. Back then, most families had a 15-20" CRT TV. I remember that time because TV's were a luxury, expsnvie item back then, color TVs even moreso.
We were hardly rich, but we did have a 25" color console.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
JohnMor said:
We were hardly rich, but we did have a 25" color console.
Same here. 25" Magnavox in the living room that my parents had traded in another TV towards and I had a 19" in my bedroom.

Joseph_G

Grip
Real Name
Joe
UniversalPhan said:
Mill Creek will not remaster or correct these episodes. If they did, the prices for these sets would be much higher. They are doing a simple video transfer with the current versions. Additionally, the picture quality problems are a result of Mill Creek jamming too many episodes on these DVDs, which is resulting in video degradation.
On the season one set, Mill Creek did digitally change the copyright date to 1964 in the opening credits, so I think they may be doing a little more than using Sony's edited masters. A few years ago, when Bewitched was on crackle.com I checked the Ben Franklin episodes and they were uncut. I just bought "Samantha for the Defense" on Amazon Instant Video and it was uncut there too, with the opening recap intact. I'm guessing/hoping that the weird edits on season three were only for the DVDs, but weren't in their transfer masters.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Well, I'm pleased to announce that MillCreek came through in a pinch and has restored the "Part 2 Next Week" words over Samantha's worried face at the end of S.3's "My Friend Ben". They have also restored the episode recap at the beginning of "Samantha for the Defense." Unfortunately the ball of light when the tankard pops in is still missing but that's not too bothersome.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
David*P said:
Well, I'm pleased to announce that MillCreek came through in a pinch and has restored the "Part 2 Next Week" words over Samantha's worried face at the end of S.3's "My Friend Ben". They have also restored the episode recap at the beginning of "Samantha for the Defense." Unfortunately the ball of light when the tankard pops in is still missing but that's not too bothersome.
Well, that's fairly impressive. Although I have a feeling it's probably more like Sony furnished them proper transfers than anything they did themselves. But whoever is responsible, it's a good thing. Thanks for sharing this, David!

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
David*P said:
Is the original Screen Gems closing logo restored at the end of each episode?

Thanks.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
So I was watching some Season Four yesterday and the Screen Gems logo is there!!

Dave Farley

Second Unit
David*P said:
So I was watching some Season Four yesterday and the Screen Gems logo is there!!
David, can you check the Season 3 Mill Creek set for the running time of two episodes?

Most TV episodes of this era, including Bewitched, average roughly 25:30. On the Season 3 set, most episodes average 25:20-25:30, which indicates they're complete. The Ben Franklin episode was edited and I suspect two more may be as well.

On the Sony set, Episode 6: Endora Moves in for a Spell runs only 24:19, which seems over a minute short. Episode 9: The Short, Happy Circuit of Aunt Clara clocks in at 24:55.

Can you check the running time of these two episodes on your Mill Creek set? Thanks. :)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
So I clocked 24:15 for "Endora Moves in For a Spell" and 24:55 for "The Short Happy Circuit of Aunt Clara".I think the reason the first one is short is because this teaser for next week's episode is missing:However it only accounts for seven seconds.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
David*P said:
So I clocked 24:15 for "Endora Moves in For a Spell" and 24:55 for "The Short Happy Circuit of Aunt Clara".I think the reason the first one is short is because this teaser for next week's episode is missing:However it only accounts for seven seconds.

Thanks for the information, David. I appreciate it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks