What's new

Bewitched Complete Series Box set? (1 Viewer)

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Well, here we are in the midst of 2011 and still no word on the Bewitched Box Set like other countries. Most are reporting of special discs. Do any of you know if and when the USA will release one? Also, there are rumors of a blu ray disc of all the seasons. Is this just another ploy for fans to get anxious? I apologize about about all the season 9 hoopla as mentioned before, as I now know that www.wikipedia.org isn't reliable. If anyone has any information please let me know!! Thank you, and thanks to all the hope over the years!! Much appreciation!! Thanks!

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Hi David,

It's Mike

I wanted to apologize about asking so much about Season 9, as I now know that everything I read on these sites tend to be false. But, as a fan, one can only hope they are true. Have you hard anything about the box set release? It's been almost 2 years since the release of season 8. If you have any infor please pass it along. I just posted a topic on the box set forum. Thanks so Much!!

Mike

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Where have you heard these rumours about blu-ray? I don't think there is any substance behind them and I haven't heard anything about a Complete Series set...it's such a shame that Image or Shout didn't have the rights to the show to begin with because it would've had the release it deserves.

But if/when I do hear something, I'll definitely post it here.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I haven't seen any rumors of a Blu-Ray release.

Are you sure you even saw some rumors? You were wishing for Blu-Ray releases a few months back. Perhaps you're now misremembering some of your past postings expressing a desire for Blu-Ray releases as actual rumors now? If there were any real concrete rumors about such a thing, it seems like they would've found it's way to places like this forum. And so far, they haven't.

As for a complete collection, who really cares? Additional content isn't typically added to such things and the packaging is often less than desirable. Plus you have the B&W/Color problem to deal with. I can assure you that they wouldn't be putting in twice the amount of disc to cover season 1 & 2. And since these complete collections often appeal to the less diehard fans out there (The most passionate ones typically are eagerly buying each season as they're released individually), I'd place money on just the colorized versions being included.

I guess I'm just puzzled by your repeated wishes for a complete season release. Did you not buy the standalone releases or something? You can get some pretty nice deals on the standalone releases these days, decide on your own if you want the original or colorized versions (Or both), and get what would likely be superior packaging without missing on any additional bonus content. Plus you're not stuck with the later poor seasons of the show if you don't want them.

Seems like the way to go instead of holding off hoping for a complete collection.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
So I don't have any news about a Complete Series set unfortunately, however, I do have some great news for all you Bewitched fans who weren't aware yet...
I just became a first time published author with a very detailed book about the episodic history of Bewitched! It has a long crazy name based on one of Dr. Bombay's inventions with a long crazy name:) It is called:
The Omni-Directional Three-Dimensional Vectoring Paper Printed Omnibus for Bewitched Analysis a.k.a. The Bewitched History Book
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/163559/width/350/height/700
It was released on April 30, 2012 by BearManor Media and is available on their website (www.bearmanormedia.com) or on Amazon.com where it currently has 12/12 FIVE star reviews!! One of the 12 is for the Kindle edition. I've been truly blown away by the reception of the book as I wrote it purely for my own entertainment as weekly "blog" posts on www.harpiesbizarre.com over the past eight years. My readers wanted me to publish them. The book includes my own recaps of each of the 254 episodes, my reviews, and any trivia about the episodes including trivia from what was happening in the world at that time.
Currently you can get the best price for it as part of a promotion BearManor is doing on their site until the end of July where you can vote for your favorite book of theirs and you will receive a coupon code via email for 50% off any of their books, including mine. Again, their website is www.bearmanormedia.com and you can vote there.
You can also keep up with all the news about signings and such on the Facebook page.
Hope you all enjoy reading it!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/163560/width/500/height/1000

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Dave Lambert posted about an entire-series release at TSoD here

Release date 10/15/13 at $55.99 SRP.

One part of Dave's post would probably be a split decision on whether it's a pro or con point for anyone interested in picking up the series at a great price:

The first 2 seasons in the box set will be the colorized versions and not the original B/W versions.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Why didn't Shout Factory release Bewitched and I Dream Of Jeannie, I didn't think Sony wanted to release any of their older series.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
darkrock17 said:
Why didn't Shout Factory release Bewitched and I Dream Of Jeannie, I didn't think Sony wanted to release any of their older series.
I'm guessing here but since it's a re-packaging of Sony's previously-released sets, they're probably looking to obtain some sales from the collectors that didn't buy the earlier single-season releases or the bargain-hunter groups.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Jeff Willis said:
I'm guessing here but since it's a re-packaging of Sony's previously-released sets, they're probably looking to obtain some sales from the collectors that didn't buy the earlier single-season releases or the bargain-hunter groups.
I think I'll just wait until both of these series get the proper complete series releases that they both deserve.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Chances are this will be the same as the other cheap Sony "Complete" sets, like Soap: all the discs together set on a spindle. Terrible packaging.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
JohnMor said:
Chances are this will be the same as the other cheap Sony "Complete" sets, like Soap: all the discs together set on a spindle. Terrible packaging.
Crap like this is really annoying.

The Charlie's Angels complete series set was also like this too. I ended up putting all the dvds from this set, into separate dvd cases.

More generally, quite a few Sony movie 3-packs and 4-packs have this atrocious "discs stacked on a spidle" style of packaging.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
This really irks me that Sony cannot give Bewitched the respect it deserves! I had had the hope that there would be a special 50th anniversary Complete Series box set released for the anniversary next year...and instead we're served the same thing in some type of possibly new packaging.

However, on a positive note, the price Amazon has it for is phenomenal for those that hadn't bought the individual seasons before and it's going to be released the day before my birthday:)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Yep, the "hard to believe" price makes me think it's one of the el cheapo 'spindle' packaging jobs Sony has released in the past with their complete sets of "Soap", "Charlie's Angels", etc.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David*P said:
This really irks me that Sony cannot give Bewitched the respect it deserves! I had had the hope that there would be a special 50th anniversary Complete Series box set released for the anniversary next year...and instead we're served the same thing in some type of possibly new packaging.

However, on a positive note, the price Amazon has it for is phenomenal for those that hadn't bought the individual seasons before and it's going to be released the day before my birthday:)
Oh, yes, the "Same thing"... unedited episodes for a fraction of the price you would have paid when the sets originally came out.

How horrible.

Although I do agree that Sony's complete series spindle packaging is terrible. Why they don't go with the style of packaging Shout has used on their complete series sets for shows they licensed from Sony is anyone's guess. It's almost as thin, and much better for the discs than stacking them on top of each other.

But as for the content and price? What more could you ask for, except for pie in the sky bonus features that almost no company provides anymore?

If anyone is waiting for a "proper" complete series release, they'll probably be waiting forever. This is how Sony does it, this is what you'll be getting, and except for the packaging, it's as good as we'll probably ever see. And this isn't that bad, especially for the price being charged.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
The Obsolete Man said:
Oh, yes, the "Same thing"... unedited episodes for a fraction of the price you would have paid when the sets originally came out.

How horrible.

Although I do agree that Sony's complete series spindle packaging is terrible. Why they don't go with the style of packaging Shout has used on their complete series sets for shows they licensed from Sony is anyone's guess. It's almost as thin, and much better for the discs than stacking them on top of each other.

But as for the content and price? What more could you ask for, except for pie in the sky bonus features that almost no company provides anymore?

If anyone is waiting for a "proper" complete series release, they'll probably be waiting forever. This is how Sony does it, this is what you'll be getting, and except for the packaging, it's as good as we'll probably ever see. And this isn't that bad, especially for the price being charged.
Well, it's nitpicking, I know, but not all the eps are unedited. I'm sure "My Friend Ben, Part 2" will still be missing the teaser. And the botched mastering job on "Cousin Serena Strikes Again, Part 1" won't be fixed. Sadly.
But, yes, it is just a budget repackaging. Although, I doubt any fans of the series don't already own it all. And I don't think Sony would have done / ever will do a good box set with extras, etc. I think if the horrible I Dream of Jeannie box had sold better, we'd have seen an equivalent for Bewitched. Same content as the season sets, but in some terrible gimmick packaging. Sony is never going to give it the treatment it gave Seinfeld. Although, I would buy that set in a second if they did.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
At times I wonder how much of this is Sony attempting to unload old inventory which has been collecting dust in their warehouses. Just repackage the same (unsold) old discs from the warehouse, in new "bundles" with newer/crappier packaging.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
jcroy said:
At times I wonder how much of this is Sony attempting to unload old inventory which has been collecting dust in their warehouses. Just repackage the same (unsold) old discs from the warehouse, in new "bundles" with newer/crappier packaging.
Most studios these days let other compaines, like Shout Factory handle "old inventory" its a shame that they do that but, at least Shout treats and gives the titles the rescept that they deserve. When Shout took over All In The Family, Sony should of just gave them all their classic shows.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
The complete "Bewitched" available in the UK has far superior packaging... but for the price, the 'spindle' set will probably sell very well, especially during the Christmas season when those big sets make a good stocking stuffer.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
BewitchedAllSeasons.jpg

Amazon.ca has some specs for this new release. It actually says it's containing French dub this time, which wasn't the case when it was first released seperately season by season. So, I'm not sure it's only a repacking release. Someone here also mentioned that there won't be any extras. So they must have remade all discs also to remove trailers of the upcoming (at the time) of the movie with Nicole Kidman.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks