1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie rewatch

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dave Scarpa, May 29, 2019.

1. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Stunt Coordinator

Erich P. Wise
    Like Lucy Ricardo, both of Samantha's pregnancies were necessitated by the actress' real-life pregnancies. They probably would have waited until the ratings started to drop before they introduced a baby but real life made the decision for them.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  2. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Luckily, Barbara Eden's pregnancy post pilot didn't require a little genie to be added to the cast...

JohnMor, MartinP. and Jeff Flugel like this.
  3. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yes WTNH ran the shows in the 80’s and did indeed show the b&w seasons. And yes on Star Trek they ran it early on the weekends and was one of the few stations that ran the previews, although when the series went over to WTXX ch 20 in the 90’s they ran the previews as commercials for the next episode. Good times

4. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    The show still looks great on my 65” tv

Attached Files:

Tony Bensley likes this.
  5. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Yes, I remember WTXX running it. My main memory was that they actually cut the very start of Mirror Mirror. They had it begin with Spock entering the transporter room just before the Enterprise graphic switch. So much about WTXX though...it was the first time I saw an Empire commercial ("588-6300...EMPIRE!!!").

On WTNH, the most memorable commercial was for Milford Jai Alai ("Milforrrrrd Jai Alai! Super sport, super sport!").

I miss the damned 80's.

EDIT: here it is!!!!

bmasters9 likes this.
  6. Kasey

Kasey Second Unit

Kasey
    I grew up watching both BW and IDOJ in the '70s but never saw the B&W "Jeannie"s until they aired on [email protected] The B&W eps of Bewitched did air up until 1978 here on a local channel and Buffalo's Channel 29. The latter would run them separately on weekends 7 and 7:30 pm while the color eps ran twice daily weekdays. Around Christmas time 1976, our local channel actually ran episodes with the correct Season 2 intro (the big-band sounding one) which is the only time I saw that intro on TV. My memory may be faulty, but I believe they used that intro for ALL the S3 eps they ran. I was very young but I do recall thinking it strange how the closing theme was the S3 bells-and-chimes version yet the opening was the S2 version.

7. sjbradford

sjbradford Stunt Coordinator

sjbradford
    The first few episodes of season 3 continued to use the “big band” version of the closing theme. They also used the same music as season 2 for the writing/directing credits. Then, after a few episodes, they both had been replaced with music that matched the regular season 3 intro.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  8. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Hey guys, wanted to chime in. I just completed several months of watching the entire Bewitched series from the Sony box set. I’d grown up watching reruns. I was never a huge fan, but certainly know the show from my youth. So not sure what compelled me to chase this set down other then I just wanted to revisit this series.

I remember vividly as a very small child the series airing on daytime reruns while I was at a day care place.

Other then a couple of episodes that aired on Decades TV a year or two ago, I’d never seen the black and white episodes, at least not something I can recall. The first three seasons were for sure the best. The characters are engaging and sweet. It was nice that Samantha and Endora were closer during the early seasons then later when Samantha would be as annoyed as Darren when Endora would play her games. I don’t have much more to add then what’s been said.

I also grew up on I Dream of Jeannie but I liked Bewitched a little more. This thread did compell me to find the bottle on eBay and I got a good one that’s complete. Though the cork is pretty worn. I have the Jeannie set that I bought at the same time that I bought Bewitched. I’ll take a short break and check out that series.

It’s interesting that the 1960’s had so many fantasy based sitcom series we grew up on. Bewitched, Jeannie, The Munsters, Adams’s Family. Fun times.

By the way, as I got into Bewitched, I learned that the series is based on two films, Bell Book and Candle and I Married a Witch. I was really curious to see what the series was based on. I just saw Bell Book and Candle. I Married a Witch is next.

9. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Yeah, I always thought that the series "jumped the shark" once Tabatha was introduced. There's nothing more tiring in a sitcom that a too-cute precocious kid that sucks most of the humor out of any story.
    I skewer a few of these episodes in the "What Did You Watch on Classic TV" thread in this forum.

Jeff Flugel and BobO'Link like this.
  10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I was thinking they filmed around one of her pregnancies using larger tops and hiding her behind things. I know 2 of them were incorporated into the show to make things easier - Tabitha and later Adam.
    Even as a kid I disliked such stuff. It absolutely ruined that series for me. They even did it to The Flintstones and there was no physical reason for that one!

Jeff Flugel, bmasters9 and Rustifer like this.
  11. Message #51 of 53 Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    You must be new to how human's work and live. That's fine, I have no problem helping explaining this to you. A bit of caution however before I tell you how human's operate. Some of what I'm about to tell you may completely and utterly shake you to your very core, so to avoid injuries to yourself, I would highly advise that you be seated as you read on.

Human's over these last couple millennia's tend to have these urges of wanting to get groups of themselves together and create what are known as families. When Human's create families, they tend to usually want to increase their group size and this, well this is where I told you about sitting down, because this is how, well,..................................................................children are born.

AHHHHHHHHH! Shocking isn't it.

I hope that didn't frighten you too much, but this is what human's do. Why they do it? well scientists are still unsure of this, the closets they have come to any conclusion of yet is that they saw and copied what animals were doing around all those many, many millennia's ago.

12. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    No, her first pregnancy was betwen the filming of the pilot and the start of the series, so there was no need to shoot around her. Although she did start production later than the other actors who shot all their scenes in the first several episodes without her while she recovered after giving birth.

Her second and third pregnancies were written in as Tabitha and Adam.

13. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Stunt Coordinator

Erich P. Wise
    You must be new to how English grammar works. That's fine, I have no problem helping explaining this to you. A bit of caution however before I tell you how English grammar operates. Some of what I'm about to tell you may completely and utterly shake you to your very core, so to avoid injuries to yourself, I would highly advise that you be seated as you read on.

There are words that are singular and words that are plural. To make a plural, you generally add an 's' or 'es' to the singular. This is taught in grammar school. Also known as elementary school. To make a possessive, usually an apostrophe-s is added to the singular and just an apostrophe to the plural. Apostrophies are rarely if ever added to plurals. When in doubt, don't use it.

To sum up:

Singular: human
    Plural: humans
    Possessive: human's or humans'

AHHHHHHHHH! Shocking isn't it.

Jeff Flugel likes this.