What's new

Beware the Ides of March: News regarding the Outlaw 950 (& the 755) (1 Viewer)

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
nothing yet as i'm sure everyone knows but today could be the day. I hope so. This would mean i would get my unit before the end of March. I hate being so optimistic considering what we are dealing with here but i'm trying to think positive.

Sam Sugob

Auditioning
Beware the "Ides of March"!

Sorry, but no metal items will be allowed into the venue on the date of the performance.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Russell_T said:
Remember, I'm basing my prediction on what I was told (they even read me the letter that was to go out!) I don't control their actions. Don't shoot (or stab) the messenger. I may be a rascal, but I'm not an outlaw.
;)

W

Will

Did they ever clean up the strand? Last time I tried to skate there you couldn't go under the SM pier because of erosion and flooding. I headed up toward Malibu instead of my usual skate down toward Venice Beach. Looks like the next time I'm going to be in town is sometime in Sept. around Dave's Video Day if all goes well. I'll let you know.
The strand's clean. Baring the wrath of El Nino or La Nina or ??? by September, we're cool to check out the natural scenary if you know what I mean, even under the pier. :)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Thanks for the kind words. It is appreciated. My wife had some major surgery (a glioblastoma removal) a few months ago
RAF.... I hope everything works out. I can certainly relate. Last month, my wife had surgery for the removal of a Pilocytic Astrocytoma from the base of her spinal chord. She too came through the surgery very well but she has a way to go yet with radiation starting in the next few weeks. It has been a very difficult time. Take care!!

Regards,

Herb.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Members,
If you have a problem with any member, Administrator, or Owner of the Home Theater Forum, take it to private email.

Sankar

Second Unit
I agree with LarryB. The inclusion of the words, "perhaps and "unwittingly" suggests to me that Will was neither directing this towards RAF nor implying any kind of collusion whatsoever.
In fact, the following statement that he makes further down in his message solidifies this stance:
But don't get discouraged. The Ides of March is not over yet. It's possible the Outlaws may publish the final manual and the final specs for the 950 on their website, in the next few hours.
He probably does not share the same high opinion of Outlaw that some of us do, and that would reflect the nature of his comments. Having followed his posts over the past few months, I must admit that while he definitely is the "voice from the other side", he has never (at least to my memory) lost his composure nor has he resorted to "cheap shots" at any individuals. (which is admirable, for I can see myself as having reacted on more than one occasion)
As we all know, there are always multiple ways to interpret a written statement (which lacks the inflections of the spoken voice unfortunately) .. we should give him the benefit of doubt .. especially since the odds of us being over-sensitive may not be zero.
Just my opinion :)

Luis M

Second Unit
I don't understand the phrase "The voice from the other side" Haven't these people from "the other side" have any other thing to do than to bash a product they don't want to buy? I can understand people's frustration because of all the delays and not being able to have a product that they have been waiting for so long, but Please get a life and let other people decide for themselves. What a waste of time and energy. Take a vacation, go to the theater, interact with other human beings, get a girl-friend or a boy-friend which-ever makes you dance but please don't let the "bad people from outlaw" ruin your life like this or is it that you already spent your money on something else and the possitive reviews are making you feel......, how could I put it?... "A little bit mad-dy"?..mmmmmm. Don't drink and drive.. and if you do.... Don't visit me.

W

Will

or is it that you already spent your money on something else

Actually, the money for a pre/pro is burning a hole in my pocket! I want to spend it. I have wanted to spend it on an inexpensive DPL II pre/pro, for a long time. If I appear frustrated, it's because I am, by all the delays and delays and delays, not because I have already purchased something else.

RAF,

If I was inappropriately harsh to you in my previous post, I apologize. It was not my intention to cross forum guidelines and I hope I didn't. But if I did, it was certainly unintentional.

Will

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
An Outlaw's Prayer:

Please, God, don't let the Ides of March become the Idle of March. Have Outlaw send me an email today. I promise not to play it above reference levels. Honest.

John Cain

Second Unit
RAF,
I'm guessing this is all a simple misunderstanding..
They must have mentioned the "Ides of Mark" which as everyone knows is June 15th..
:D
--
-- John

James D S

Screenwriter
The ides of March are quickly coming to a close. sigh.
Maybe I'm not so thick-headed afterall, I'm starting to see a trend! :)

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Please, God, don't let the Ides of March become the Idle of March. Have Outlaw send me an email today. I promise not to play it above reference levels. Honest.
It seems God was listening to your prayers Bob.:) Now i want to get my E-mail:frowning:

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Yeah. Now I've got to figure out a cosmically effective way to weasel out of that "reference level" promise....
:D

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If I was inappropriately harsh to you in my previous post, I apologize. It was not my intention to cross forum guidelines and I hope I didn't. But if I did, it was certainly unintentional.
Actually, Will, a lot of other people here took your comments much more seriously than I did. On the surface (and out of context) "unwitting pawn" could, of course be taken as extremely derogatory since I pride myself on my acumen and my knowledge of people.
However, I fully understand what you were trying to say and in context and with terms like "perhaps" included in the sentence I really took no personal offense at your remarks. Ironically, I received a bunch of e-mails from people here openly wondering if you should get the boot for your comments but (and this might surprise you, although I feel it probably won't) I actually asked that no action be taken at this time. You choose to do your thing here, and I think the majority of readers here realize what that is.
I don't feel that any forum guidelines have been violated and I have to take these remarks with a grain of salt. There have been discussions in some of the threads regarding some recently banned members and their comments here and, later on, elsewhere. I don't think that "perhaps an unwitting pawn" falls into the same category of stating that anyone with a brain should not take the beta testers seriously because they are obviously shills for Outlaw (or whatever the "R" man said in that regard quite openly - and, I might add - incorrectly in other venues.)
Well, at this point I think that this thread has run its course. It's almost March 16th, and what I said in the first message of this thread has come to pass just as predicted. Take a moment and go back and re-read what I said in that introductrory post. I think most of you will agree that I was pretty close to the mark on this. Actions speak louder than words.
And at this point I see that there is at least one other thread here where members are sharing whether or not they received their letters so I assume that the action will move, more appropriately, over there. Remember, the production of this unit will be limited at first as they ramp up. It is expected that there will be some people who will opt not to try out a 950 and, if they follow the instructions, this will open up more slots for those further down the list. I'm not going to predict any exact numbers at this point, but I would make an educated guess that there probably will be another wave of letters next week - the extent of which may be dependent on the response from the first letters.
And, in closing, I would expect that certain people (anyone you know?) will point out that an e-mail is not a shipment of product so the 950 is still technically "vaporware" in the marketplace, but most rational people here realize that this is beginning to get a little tiresome and they see through that argument. The number of people who are commenting on the constant negativism shown by some posters is growing daily. There's something to be said for playing the Devil's Advocate and a certain amount of value in this.
But there comes a point where advocacy turns into fanaticism and this is usually counter productive. The membership of the HTF is quite astute when it comes to judging the true motives of posters who keep coming back to the same message.
Just an observation from this end.
And to all those who have, and will receive their e-mails from Outlaw, I'm really looking forward to being able to ask you how you like your 950's in the not too distant future. Time to turn the tables.
;)

W

Will

I would expect that certain people (anyone you know?) will point out that an e-mail is not a shipment of product so the 950 is still technically "vaporware" in the marketplace
I must admit I was wrong and you were right about the Outlaws sending e-mails on the Ides of March. But there is a "vaporware" concern to these e-mails, as you know since the e-mails didn't say when after March 25-27 the 950 will ship or when final 950 specs and a final 950 user manual will be posted on their website. Also they didn't indicate how many 950's will be in the first batch. Could be a very low number, for all we know. We'll have to wait and see. But I am hopeful, that before long, the long long long wait for an inexpensive pre/pro with DPL II to hit the market, will at last, be over.
There could be a real horserace to see which will come to market first in quantity, the Outlaw 950, or the "fixed" version of the Rotel 1066. I hope that in April both pre/pro's will be available, and in May both will be available in quantity.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"Will, a lot of other people here took your comments much more seriously than I did."
I didn't, and I stated as such in my post. Unfortunately, it has been deleted, so I cannot defend it.
I am waiting to see what kind of ripple effect there will be with processor features/cost ratios in the coming months after the Outlaw 950s are in the hands of the users. If it performs for everyone else like it did for the beta testers, we might finally see the prices of other processors go down, much like with PCs.
Well, one can dream! :)
Michael

Sankar

Second Unit
If it performs for everyone else like it did for the beta testers, we might finally see the prices of other processors go down, much like with PCs.
.. and maybe we could then buy a new Lexicon MC-12 for $1200 .. now wouldn't that be nice!! ;) ;) :D :laugh:

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
As you all know, the pre/pro market is similar to the PC market because, essentially, these are a form of PC! Moore's Law lives in the HT world as well.
I have absolutely no doubt that if someone offered me a brand new, fully warranteed MC-12 for $1200 I'd buy it in a minute. Lexicon makes a very, very fine product but it's a little too costly for me to consider at this point.
However, let me throw something out here for you to think about. Let's just say that I'm not convinced that we won't ever see Logic7 or the equivalent in products other than those from Lexicon and H-K. This is just a gut feeling and one of those things that I might point back to in a few years as a "See, I told you" item. Yes, I know there are a lot of issues involved (and please, let's not go off on that tangent too far) but if I've learned one thing it's never to say "never."
Time will tell. If you told me a little over two years ago that I would be able to spend about the same money that I plunked down for my Denon 5700 to get the quality of new separates by the end of the first quarter of 2002 I would have thought you were smoking those funny little cigarettes again. But that apparently is on the immediate horizon (the separates, not the cigarettes).
;)
And this is just the beginning.
As others suggested, everyone should be rooting hard for the 950/770/755 and similar to be wild successes whether you are an Outlaw fan or a detractor. The real winner is the consumer. Just watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks