What's new

Beware the Giant Squid! (1 Viewer)

KyleS

Screenwriter
Very cool thanks for the link Julie. Its so amazing to me when I think about all of the life we still have not discovered on this planet and most of it is in the Vast oceans of our planet. It makes you wonder what else is out there in the depths?

KyleS

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
One of the most interesting things quoted in Julie's second article is this:

Last year scientists reported that there had been a upsurge in the collective mass of giant squids, and that they now outweighed the world's human population.
I had no idea giant squids were that commonplace!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
On an unrelated note, artists all over the world reported very disturbing nighmares over the week end.

--
Holadem

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
mmmmmmm Calamari!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Peace Out~:D

Julie K

Screenwriter
Unrelated? Hah! Cthulhu's just sending the kids up to take a look around in the last few remaining days before the stars are right...

Seriously though, it's just amazing how much we don't know about the ocean depths. Deep sea dives discover new species on almost every trip and those black smokers are just about the most incredible find in recent history. A whole ecosystem that does not rely on the sun! Talk about a major paradigm shift.

And of course the giant squids are great. I think it would be fantastic to find even bigger ones, but I'd settle for more live ones being seen and observed. But it might be a big disappointment for the calamari lovers. Giant squid reportedly have high levels of ammonia in their bodies making their flesh rather nasty...

Julie K

Screenwriter
There is an Icelandic delicacy where shark meat is buried in a hole in the ground for several months until it putrifies.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I'm not aware of how gefilte fish is prepared, but between rotten shark and lye-drenched fish, I'll have a nice juicy steak everytime.
Actually, that's my answer for all seafood-related queries :)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps he was just coming up to complain about the latest Red Lobster special.

Great link. Imagine what just might be down there is the deep places of the world.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Mmmmm seafood.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Octopus is very nasty when eaten raw. Maybe giant squid and octopus have similar chemistry? Naturally, the Japanese and other asian countries know how to prepare octopus...cook it, never eat them raw!
Given the size of giant squid, they are probably full of parasites (although not as badly infected as cows and pigs).
Dammit, why haven't the biologists looked for parasites in the giant squid they've found? You can learn a hell of a lot about an organism by examining the (simpler) parasites. The human desire for cats, for example, could be explained partly by the mutual parasite they share...
Anyways, with all that giant squid biomass, I'm sure someone will find a way to fry it up and serve it with your next fast-food meal!
Maybe Cthulu finally settled down and had lots of kids? White-picket fence, sport-utility submarine, and a two submarine underwater garage!
The kids must be hitting puberty now...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks