What's new

Beware of Blockbuster's previously viewed games section! (1 Viewer)

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
I caught ICO there for the low of $23.95 (down from the $29.99 for flirting ;)).
Take it home and I'll be damned if it didn't work. Looked at the disk and it was all scratched to hell and back. It had tons of lines that went against the grain of the disc. When I took it back I found out that they were caused from one of those manual disk cleaners!
Like this:Link Removed
I'm not sure it that's the results from all of those disk cleaners, but I won't be using that on any of my discs.
Anyway, they didn't have ICO in (go figure) so I went with Devil May Cry. I checked it this time before I left the store and wouldn't you know...scratched to hell and back (not from the cleaner this time). I went through 3 other discs before I got a 'decent' one.
To top it off, the employee was going to try to clean it with a rough ass paper towel going with the grain right in front of my eyes! :eek: I stopped her and said that she needed to use a 'soft, lint free cloth' for cleaning discs.
She didn't seem to care. :rolleyes
Beware!
Troy

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the Blockbuster here only has 2 preplayed PS2 games, Resident Evil Code Veronica X, and some other game I'd never heard of, both for $25... is Veronica worth getting that that price?

Brian

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I've had the opposite experience. I have bought 3 used games from blockbuster and all have worked flawlessly. I got Tony Hawk 3 (PS2) for 29.99, ICO for 29.99 (I'm engaged..no flirting:frowning:), and Twisted Metal Black for 19.99. Haven't had an issue with any of them...Go figure.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
What do you expect from rented games?

BTW, that disc scratch remover thing is the stupidest gimmik I've ever seen. I can't believe that thing is on store shelves.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Oscar, there was a huge pile of the above 'disc cleaners' at Fry's in Sunnyvale... So a good reminder of how to tell a useless product... if it's stacked near the cash registers at Fry's, next to the astronaut food, then it's probably useless. :)
The dry, lint free cloth (like the kind you'd use on a GBA screen), from the inner area to the outer area in clean, quick strokes (uh.... :rolleyes) The best way to clean a CD or DVD. Those cheap products are overkill.
Joseph

Pat Underwood

Auditioning
The product that is shown is actually used for removing suface scratches not for regular disk cleaning. I've used them on scratched CD's and it works quite well. It works on the same principle as buffing your car, it uses very fine sandpaper to remove the defect from the polycarbonate suface and then you buff it out using a cloth.

ryan_x

Stunt Coordinator
you could take it to one of those cd stores that sells used cd's...up here in Toronto there is a chain of stores called deja vu dics...they have professional cd cleaner machines...works amazing for removing scratches

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks