Beware of Amazon "Share the Love"

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Terry H, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

STL and other discounts are being dropped from many Amazon orders. If you ever use this discount program you may want to check recently shipped orders.

2. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

It's coincidental that you posted this, as I just got done sending a nasty-gram through Amazon's customer service page about it. I had an order for Futurama Season 4 with a $3.50 STL discount, which clearly showed on the order and confirmation pages, as well as the email confirmation that I received. Sometime between then and when it shipped the STL discount magically disappeared. They never explicitly notified me of it, let alone asked for my consent to be charged a higher amount. It's one thing to decide they don't want to honor a discount (which is bad enough from a customer service point of view) but to do so without asking first is a serious offense.

If I don't receive an adequate reply from Amazon I will seriously consider disputing the charge with my credit card company. It's not alot of money, but I very much don't appreciate a retailer pulling this type of thing. I'm actually quite surprised this happened, as I've considered Amazon to be a very reliable e-tailer in the past.

[​IMG]
    -- Dave

3. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

You should call Amazon Customer Service at 1-800-201-7575. From DVD Talk Forum, amazon is well aware of this and it is very easy to get the amounts adjusted.

4. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm, this is odd, though I have had similar problems with gift certificates (they've shown up when I order, but mysteriously disappeared when the final ship order was received). Fortunately they were pretty good about crediting my card, but that's a bit different than a discount. Even provided that they do the right thing, that's still more hassle than anyone should have to go through for a few bucks...

5. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

I'll make sure to do that first thing tomorrow. They just sent me a shipping confirmation for Rounders SE and Clerks X with the STL discount conveniently missing. And the Hitchcock box set which is on the verge of being shipped has also lost the STL discount.

Since I have the order confirmation e-mails with the discounts listed, Amazon better honor those prices.

6. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I just checked my 4 open Amazon orders, all with STL. They all still appear to be intact for now. I'll keep an eye on them for any funny business. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Well, as soon as my order for Alias Season 3 shipped they lost the STL discount from the order summary. So I e-mailed them about restoring my $4.90 discount. The other pre-orders still show the STL, but I'll keep watching.

7. jian

jian Agent

Thanks for the heads up on this! I check my orders, and sure enough my STL had been dropped from my order. [​IMG] I emailed them, and they issued credit back.

8. Chris Harrison

Chris Harrison Stunt Coordinator

This has happened on my past 3 orders. As a matter of fact the STL discount has disappeared from my Dawn of the Dead SE that was shipped on Saturday. Each time I have called amazon and they have refunded the difference to my credit card. They are aware of the problem but apparently are in no rush to fix it. If this continues I may just cancel my remaining amazon orders because I dont feel like calling them every time an order ships.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

It's not in their financial interest to do so. The number of people who actually notice is probably very small, and the number of those people who actually contact them and complain is probably miniscule.

So if they end up getting $2-$3 extra dollars from 9 of 10 orders trying to use STL, they're making quite a bit of extra money.

Now from a moral standpoint, they should either fix it immediately or cancel the program altogether if they're losing money. But when's the last time any corporate entity acted in a moral manner?

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

You do not need to call them. My last three orders were missing the STL discount. I simply emailed customer service by following the link in the shipping confirmation email, and they issued a refund for the discount to my credit card within one business day. It beats waiting on hold for customer service.

11. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I had the STL drop off my Hitchcock collection (7 bucks). I made a phone call and got it resolved in under 10 minutes. The CSR was quite friendly although he admitted that my call was the first he had heard about problems with the STL program. That probably explains why the bulk of my phone call was spent on hold while he researched how to fix my problem (the call itself was answered in under 2 minutes).

Steve

12. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Same thing happend with my Hitchcock Collection order.

I have to hand it to Amazon's customer service though. It took less than a minute to reach them and fix the problem by crediting my account the $7 diference.

Considering the overall drop in customer service across the industry it is refreshing to see Amazon taking the necessary steps to offer excellent CS.

13. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

Just a quick update on my story: I received what looks to be a form letter reply at about 10:30 this morning. While it took abit longer than I would have liked, they are going to credit my card the necessary amount.

In the DVDTalk thread a number of people said that their reply asked for the email address of whoever they got "love" from. If they're intending to use that as an excuse to not credit those customers then I think that's a very bad move. In my opinion (not being a lawyer) charging someone more than they agreed to would be fraud, and if they refuse to refund the money I'd think someone could take that to their state attorney general and make a case of it. Given that it's affected so many people they might actually consider taking it on. Of course if you have good records disputing the charge with your credit card company should bear fruit. Retailers really hate it when they lose a dispute (as Amazon rightfully would) as it costs them more than just the disputed amount. A number of people doing that should definately get their attention.

Assuming they make good on my refund I will let the issue drop and chalk it up to a simple mistake. I wish everyone else luck in getting their issues resolved as well.

-- Dave

14. GarySchrock

GarySchrock Second Unit

Mine disappeared too, but after a short time on the phone I was able to get it taken care of. The lady I talked to looked at the order and said "yup, I can see where it was supposed to be" and immediately said she'd refund the card the proper amount.

Hmm, for that matter, I had two good experiences with customer service people last night. Maybe the world's coming to an end.

15. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

My STL was missing on my latest shipping conformation this morning. A 2 minute phone call got me my money credited to my card. Lady was very nice and quick. Said she wasn't suprised because she already had 3 calls this morning with the same problem.

16. EricCr

EricCr Stunt Coordinator

I called today after I got the e-mail from them saying I had to provide names and e-mail of who sent me the STL. I told the guy I had no clue who it would have been who sent them to me because I have lots of people that regularly send it to me and had placed the order months ago. He agreed that it was crazy to think that you would remember who sent it to you that far back. He gave me the STL credit and also included a $15 credit for a future order. Overall worked out for the best.

17. Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson Stunt Coordinator

Greg R
    Well, chalk up another victim. My Angel season 4 email came in last night and my $3.98 share the love was gone. i called amazon this morning and a refund of that amount was issued with no problem.

i did ask that this issue be escalated within their Service Dept and told them that if i have to carefully examine each shipping email, and it becomes a regular problem, i would be taking my business elsewhere.

i also mentioned that i was considering writing a brief story on online DVD shopping for DVD ETC. and that until recently, amazon and their Share The Love program has been good to me. And that this trend is rather disconcerting.

"Laurie" in service, who was very nice, seemed to think it was an I.T. issue related to recent system changes on their end. Hopefully this will get resolved and soon. She said she had helped someone just yesterday with this same problem.

18. Gabriela Mendez

Gabriela Mendez Stunt Coordinator

They took the share discount out of my DOTD and Maximum Overdrive order. Sent email. [​IMG]

19. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    It happened on my Scorsese order but not my Hitchcock. I still use this though,they easily refunded me the money and I do think it important to make sure the sharer gets credit too. I've only done two recently, I have sent off a lot more though. If I ever shared with anyone, they get everything I order as I just click the box to share with friends.

20. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

I emailed after I got my shipping notice for Angel 4 and they issued a credit to my Visa for $4 right away.