What's new

Beverly Hills Cop Stunning (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I have to tell you Paramount consistantly puts out fantastic transfers. I don't think I saw it this good in the theaters almost 20 years ago. Contrast is perfect. Blacks are deep and rich. Sound isn't bad, the music stands out more than the actual Movie sound. Extras are prettydecent too. Paramount has come a long way since "Private Parts"

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Good to hear. I'm picking this up tomorrow and I have been hearing only fair reviews of the DVD. I hear it looks far too grainy. I'll find out for myself tomorrow. :)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I Find films from the 80's especially lower budger filmsalways grainy, there are a few spots of Grain, but you'll never get anythibg better

Ned Vogler

Stunt Coordinator
Dave -
I'll bet that wonderful picture is partly due to the "Loewen-calibrated" Mits you've got down there in your theater room! ;)
I just picked up the Beverly Hills Cop 3-pack today, and cannot wait to check out the movies! I'll probably end up staying up late tonight to check out some of these DVDs because I have technical training from 4:30PM-10:30PM tonight! D'oh! :angry:

Craig Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the video was above average at best. It was a bit on the soft side. But I am pleased with the disc as a whole.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
This disc is a real treat, especially after the questionable treatment the title received on laserdisc. The soundtrack remix is particularly good. They didn't mess with the original mix or try to pump up the effects, but they brought the music back into its proper balance.

Sound isn't bad, the music stands out more than the actual Movie sound.
That's intentional. Check out the featurette about the music under Special Features.

M.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Just out of curiosity, what was "questionable" about the laserdisc?
Loved the presentation on the DVD. Not only is there a nice looking and sounding film on there ("The Heat Is...WHOOMPH WHOOMPH WHOOMPH WHOOMPH...ON!"), there's a nice assortment of extras and HELLA-Fun 80's menus. It's not a great film, but I saw it so many times in my teenage years I couldn't live without having it. :)
Jason

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just watched this last night and think the film looks and sounds good; some of the outdoor shots looked very good. The grain was more apparent in the indoor scenes, but I didn't find this bothersome.

I'm not a huge fan of extras, but these were pretty good.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I also think the new release of Beverly Hill Cop looks and sounds great. However, the transfer on Beverly Hills Cop II is even better. The video transfer is absolutely beautiful.

FYI, I am using an ISF-calibrated Toshiba 56H80 monitor and Panasonic RP-91 DVD player.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Just out of curiosity, what was "questionable" about the laserdisc?
The soundtrack was very weak: low volume level, limited dynamics, and the music had no impact at all. As I recall, the video was OK, but the film just wasn't as much to watch without a properly mastered soundtrack. On the DVD, it's fun again.
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks