What's new

Beverly Hillbillies S2 (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Personally, I'm not using any logic involving TV on DVD anymore. I did get a kick out of the new adjective involved in naming the seasons, and figured it had something to do with all the copies of these episodes floating around on the market already.
But, Carab needed a quick, sarcastic explanation at 2AM, so there you have it.
Either way, I would still like to say that I would like to see that "official" season one some day by itself, and not just part of a complete series set, assuming the Hillbillies can make it that far.
Oh, and I would also guess that Petticoat Junction will be similarly titled because of the MPI and PD releases?

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
I'm guessing that they will go back and release the official season one later on down the line, like how they released the complete S1 of ILL later on after they learned from the volume debacle they started off w/.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The Obsolete Man said:
Oh, and I would also guess that Petticoat Junction will be similarly titled because of the MPI and PD releases?
Yes. I expect to have more PJ news to post in the next day or two, by the way, so look for it.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
chadHobbick said:
I'm guessing that they will go back and release the official season one later on down the line, like how they released the complete S1 of ILL later on after they learned from the volume debacle they started off w/.
I hope so. Another problem that CBS/P may have with this is that the general tv-dvd buying public will not buy a S2 set without first buying a S1 set. People like to buy them in order. And since a "season 1" set does not yet exist and since joe shmoe dvd buyer (the impulse buyers who don't frequent these forums) does not know or care that all of the s1 episodes are available through the various pd releases, most will look a the S2 set, scratch their head and say "where's season 1?" Then they will put it back and not pay $35-$40 for a S2 until they can find a seaons 1 set.
I can't think of any other series that released sets out of order other than Make Room For Daddy, and show like Frasier and Law & Order that released their then current seasons. I don't think it will fly with the general public.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
...and that may be what kills the Hillbillies on DVD for all of us.
In checking out Amazon (which I know isn't necessarily the be-all end-all of sales), the Hillbillies are somewhere in the 2000s as far as sales rank, and the related searches include "Beverly Hillbillies season 1".
Successful DVD sets are usually a lot higher than the 2000s, and the fact that people are searching for season 1 and not finding it might, as was said above, kill sales for season 2.
Hopefully, this all turns out to be baseless, defeatist speculation on my part, and season 3 comes along in a short time. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
Someone needs to post on the Amazon page for S2 of the Bevely Hillbillies what is going on and that you can purchase the the S1 episodes through the other release by listing that title for them to search for. It will help everybody out in the end.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I have to say, after watching some of the episodes from this set today, I'm happier than a gopher in soft dirt. Great quality and nice little extras. And I didn't notice any music replacement. I believe this show has escaped the subbed music fate.
Gary "the only issue I have with this set is a minor one - the front cover art. It looks even worse in person than it did online, LOL" O.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if season 2 does tank maybe CBS/P will realize it is because of the absense of a season 1 set, and then go ahead and release it.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Tony S said:
Well, if season 2 does tank maybe CBS/P will realize it is because of the absense of a season 1 set, and then go ahead and release it.
If they release Season one the series will obviously tank since most of the hardcore fans already have season one on the MPI release and are not willing to double dip so that would leave mainly impulse buys which would not be enough to make them continue the series. So the right move was to start with Season two and move on to Season three and beyond. When they finish Season nine they will probably re-do season one just for the complete box set.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Oh, what a tangled web. Remember when everyone was certain that the show would be all straightened out once it began getting legitimate releases ? The reality is that the non-public domain sets are almost as confusing as the PD sets were. Especially for people who are casual fans and can't figure out why there are so many sets of the same episodes from so many different companies. It's very confusing and irritating when you can't just get them a season at a time like most series.

It's more confusing than trying to figure out why Jed calls Jethro his nephew when they're actually cousins via Jed's Cousin Pearl. Or why Jethro & Pearl call Granny "Granny" even though they're technically not related.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
Randy Korstick said:
If they release Season one the series will obviously tank since most of the hardcore fans already have season one on the MPI release and are not willing to double dip so that would leave mainly impulse buys which would not be enough to make them continue the series. So the right move was to start with Season two and move on to Season three and beyond. When they finish Season nine they will probably re-do season one just for the complete box set.
I dunno. For one thing the vast majority of tv-dvd sets are bought by casual fans. As for the HC fans, most probably wont double dip, but a lot will for the better pq.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
I own both the MPI Beverly Hillbillies releases, but I would double dip if they released S1.

I loved that MPI included the cigarette commercials, w/a proper psa warning before hand I think they should be included, even on the Flintstones releases.

Of course w/this being CBS/Paramount all the good extras, the tv movies/movie would be included w/the complete series they will release

David Levine

Supporting Actor
chadHobbick said:
I loved that MPI included the cigarette commercials, w/a proper psa warning before hand I think they should be included, even on the Flintstones releases.
You won't see many studios leave the commercials in shows like this. Legally every single one of them has to be cleared - even if the company no longer exists but somebody still owns the brand.
It's too bad, because there are a lot of masters out there with amazing commercials from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
David Rain said:
It's more confusing than trying to figure out why Jed calls Jethro his nephew when they're actually cousins via Jed's Cousin Pearl. Or why Jethro & Pearl call Granny "Granny" even though they're technically not related.
They really were confused themselves about that. There are several instances where it's clear the writers think that Granny is Jethro's grandmother -- when, in reality, she's not related to him at all.
Unless -- in the hills, intermarriage might be common, and maybe Jed's wife was his cousin. They might have been implying that without coming right out and saying so.
Another mystery is: Did Jed's late wife -- a woman whose widower husband and bereaved mother and daughter barely ever discuss -- look more like her mother or her daughter? There's quite a difference there!

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Joe Lugoff said:
Another mystery is: Did Jed's late wife -- a woman whose widower husband and bereaved mother and daughter barely ever discuss -- look more like her mother or her daughter? There's quite a difference there!
I can actually answer this!
I just started watching the MPI sets, and in the second episode, Jed mentions that Elly Mae is looking more like her mother every day. He also mentioned that she died when Elly Mae was very young, and he regretted raising her as a boy. Since Elly looks like she's entering her 20s, the death happened a long time ago.
You know, I like those genuine heartfelt moments in the show. Helps balance out the silliness.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Then we're left with the mystery of how scrawny Granny had a daughter and granddaughter who looked like that!

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Personally, I never had a problem with that. My own grandmother looked a lot like Granny. She was born in 1912 and worked on a farm for most of her life. Her daughters were more attractive than her, and her granddaughters even more so. That's the wonder of genetics.
Even so, Jed's side of the family must have some mighty powerful genes. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks