What's new

Beverly Garland's Series Decoy Coming to DVD This Month (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Correction made...mistakenly, I had long thought that Anthony George and Christopher George were brothers...they certainly shared some facial and complexion similarities.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I just noticed the DECOY DVD set is closed captioned! I have to start checking other un-subtitled DVD sets for closed captions.

While my TV caption function was still on I caught an episode of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, over the air, and noticed that the captions had unspoken additional dialog, as if they made the captions from original scripts, not what actually made it to air. (I don't have the DVD SHOW DVDS, was that discussed in the extras?)

I always thought captions were done on the fly, by people who hilariously misinterpret what they hear, usually period references and catch phrases.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
While my TV caption function was still on I caught an episode of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, over the air, and noticed that the captions had unspoken additional dialog, as if they made the captions from original scripts, not what actually made it to air. (I don't have the DVD SHOW DVDS, was that discussed in the extras?)

Same thing happened to me. I was watching an old TV show rerun on television with the captions on, and they cut a scene out, but the dialogue for the missing scene was still displayed briefly in the captions.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I love this stuff...Stump The Stars regulars Beverly Garland, Ross Martin and Sebastian Cabot being interviewed by Garry Owens at the groundbreaking ceremony for the LA County Museum of Art on Wilshire Blvd in 1962...so glad we have the complete Decoy in such a nice set...hopefully Film Chest brings out Wire Service/Deadline (Dane Clark, George Brent, syndicated 1957-58) the same way...
23519071_1354289348014015_428028867755427029_n.jpg

Last edited:

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I live in Connecticut, where Film Chest is located as well, so I emailed them back in May when they released Decoy and thanked them for doing such a great release on a relatively obscure 1950’s tv series. They indicated they had hopes of possibly releasing other things from that era, so Wire Service would definitely be one I’d be in for if they are able to do that.

NoirGal82

Auditioning
Real Name
Tammy Cocchini
Here's some nice original promotional photos for Decoy...

These promo stills of Garland from Official Films, Inc. are incredible! She was such a classic!
decoy13362.jpg

6d045878ed4a691482c9376ae8430454.jpg

Decoy-Casey-b.JPG

Glamour photo of the lovely lady...

201d76250d258f2e4f80983a225d632f.jpg

Rock climbing (Bronson Canyon?) in her high heels and in high style...

LittleBeverlyGarland.jpg

A collage of photos from the great season 8 Gunsmoke episode "The Odyssey of Jubal Tanner" (May 18, 1963)...one of my favorite Beverly Garland guest starring performances...Peter Breck (Big Valley), Denver Pyle and Kevin Hagen were also in this powerful and touching episode...

BeverlyGarlandGunsmoke.jpg

With her co-star in Roger Corman's 1956 schlockfest It Conquered the World...who can blame this monster for leering? I'd want to invade this planet also...

bev4.jpg

An interesting curio...Beverly Garland on the set of the game show Stump the Stars in the 1962 to 1963 relaunch of the show...Barbara Hale of Perry Mason doing the pantomine for Hans Conried (Uncle Tonoose of Danny Thomas/Make Room for Daddy) and Sebastian Cabot (Checkmate)...might be Pat Harrington with his backed turned opposite them as host of the primetime CBS Game Show...

television-game-show-stump-the-stars-features-from-left-hans-conried-picture-id653999646

Another episode of Stump the Stars in 1962 to '63...Beverly Garland now performing a pantomine for Hans Conried, Sebastian Cabot and Mary Tyler Moore of the the Dick Van Dyke Show...

television-game-show-stump-the-stars-features-from-left-beverly-hans-picture-id654001230

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    551.1 KB · Views: 34

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Same thing happened to me. I was watching an old TV show rerun on television with the captions on, and they cut a scene out, but the dialogue for the missing scene was still displayed briefly in the captions.

I've had quite a few instances in the captioning/subtitles where a line is shown on screen, but no one ever says it (like on the fifth-season episode of Star Trek: Voyager, "Thirty Days," where, in the scene where Tom is released from the brig [IINM], Tuvok says, "Rise and shine, Ensign; your thirty days have been served"; there is then a line shown, "Report for duty," which is unsaid, then Tuvok says to Tom, "You may want to shave first"; this is just how I remember it going, though I may be incorrect).

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I’m kind of a late 50’s roll lately. I’ve picked up “Deadline” & the complete “Naked City” recently. I’ve been watching those along with “87th Precinct” quite a bit. All of these shows were blind buys for me. Now I’m intrigued by “Decoy”. Going to have to pick it up.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I’m kind of a late 50’s roll lately. I’ve picked up “Deadline” & the complete “Naked City” recently. I’ve been watching those along with “87th Precinct” quite a bit. All of these shows were blind buys for me. Now I’m intrigued by “Decoy”. Going to have to pick it up.

Marc - go for it. If you like all the shows you mention, then Decoy will fit in there quite nicely. Can't beat the price. And you'll be supporting a small indie who might be encouraged to drop another 1950's black and white gem on us sometime down the road.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I’m 2/3 of the way through this set. Really great show, and Beverly Garland was not only gorgeous, she was perfect for this role. You can see as the episodes go by that she gets more and more comfortable in her role. And seeing the sites of NYC circa 1957 is just an added bonus for me

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I’m 2/3 of the way through this set. Really great show, and Beverly Garland was not only gorgeous, she was perfect for this role. You can see as the episodes go by that she gets more and more comfortable in her role. And seeing the sites of NYC circa 1957 is just an added bonus for me
The Decoy set from Film Chest has been out a couple of years. The picture quality is not great. It's also available on Prime free.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
The Decoy set from Film Chest has been out a couple of years. The picture quality is not great. It's also available on Prime free.
For anyone who has not bought this, I highly recommend it for the content (includes a fine great booklet too), however the audio is far worse than the video which is quite good though inconsistent. Sound quality is muddled and the dialogue is difficult to make out without pumping up the volume. See playlist.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Just finished up all 39 episodes. As much as I enjoyed this, I can also see why it wasn’t picked up for a second season. The shows on the third and final DVD were starting to run out of steam, story-wise. I guess there were only so many unusual situations you could place Casey Jones in. Still, the DVD was a great purchase that I’m very happy to have made

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
They really should have come up with a better name than "Casey Jones" for her character.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Funny, there was an adventure series titled Casey Jones starring Alan Hale, Jr., And a children's show in my neck of the woods titled Lunch With Casey, with Roger Awsumb as Casey Jones on WTCN-11 for nearly 20 years in Minneapolis-St.Paul. Go check him out on YT!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I actually have dim memories of the Minneapolis Casey Jones program even though we moved from MN to NJ when I was four years old in the summer of 73. So that's why the name is never going to conjure images of Beverly Garland for me no matter how much I watch the show!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks