beverley hillbillies question

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by andrew markworthy, Sep 10, 2004.

1. andrew markworthy

I've sometimes caught re-runs of this venerable old programme on Brit satellite TV, and something puzzles me. Namely, the title music is different from that which I remember. I could swear that when I first saw the show back in the 60s, there was a song that went with the opening credits ('The next thing you know old Jed's a millionaire, His kinsfolk said, Jed, move away from there' etc). However, there now seems to be a piece of instrumental bluegrass music.

Am I imagining the song, or what?

2. GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul Second Unit

Nope, you're not imagining it, andrew. That song was Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs' "Ballad of Jed Clampett," and it has ALWAYS run during the opening sequences of the show in American syndication.

Whether it has been cut for time in the U.K. or not is a mystery. Maybe someone over there found a really chintzy way to cram in another commercial.[​IMG]

3. Steve Meil

Steve Meil Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    Just to let you know on the public domain DVD (with 16 episodes from the first season) for the Beverly Hillbillies they also use some instrunental blue grass tune for the opening. Guess they couldn't get the rights to the song Ballad of Jed Clampett

4. andrew markworthy

Thanks for the info, guys.

I think the episodes I've seen recently are from the first series (e.g. Jethro is still at school). I wonder - was the theme song only introduced later on? I seem to recall Messrs Flatt and Scruggs appearing on a show. Maybe that's when the song was introduced? Just a wild guess.

5. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

According to the IMDB, the theme charted (#44) in 1962, the year the show premiered.

I'm kind of surprised they actually show this in the UK.

6. andrew markworthy

Ike - first, thanks for the info (I'd checked IMDB but missed that nugget of info - d'oh!).

I'm sort of surprised that you're surprised.[​IMG] Nearly all the classic American TV comedies have had reasonably large audiences over here (I think only that Archie Bunker [sp?] character failed over here, but bear in mind we had the original in Alf Garnett). TBH wasn't the greatest of hits in the UK, but it used to get good early evening audiences. I remember loving it when I was a kid, and I would guess that a fair number of my generation could recite the words to the theme song (this is why I was wondering if I was having a serious psychotic episode when the song was missing from the repeats - sorry, I mean re-runs - I've seen recently). Bear in mind that TBH is closer to a social class-based comedy than most American series and so it bore more similarity to many Brit comedies than many programmes from across the Herring Pond.

Oh yes, and Married With Children was a very minority taste over here. It arrived over here at a time when we were getting very politically correct about comedy (and very very boring as a result), and it only got aired in some parts of the country, and then at some dead hour of the night. I sort of liked it, but I used to watch it primarily for the pleasure of hearing the continuity announcer (who was obviously a big fan) in fits of giggles after the programme ended.