Between these receivers, which would you choose, and why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jordan.P, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Jordan.P

Jordan.P Auditioning

I'm basically a Home Theater newbie, but I'm not so naive as to think you would all recommend receivers within my price range. :) So I narrowed it down to 5. Now there's no need to badmouth the 5, I realize they're not even top of the mid-line range of receivers.
    If these were the only 5 receivers on the face of the earth (and you're not able to import from other planets due to high tariffs), which would you choose? For extra gold stars, reasons for decision would be most appreciated!
    1. Yamaha HTR-5560
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...1&cat=3&scat=4
    2. Sony STR-DE985
    3. Pioneer VSX-D811S
    4. Kenwood VR-6060
    5. Kenwood VR-6070
    Thanks for your input!
    -Jordan

2. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

The Yamaha. Same thing as their RX-V line of receivers
    and it can drive any speakers you throw at it.
    The rest probably can't handle below 6 ohms.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would open my own store, and import the good stuff. Best Buy is not the place to shop for receivers.

Out of those, those, I would choose the 811S or the 5560, and neither if I had other choices. All of the Yamahas that BB carries sound bright to me, but they have good amps. The 811 (41TX I listened to) was not spectacular with music (no processing), but not bad overall.

I've owned Sony DE, and likely never will again. Most of Kenwood's stuff below the Sovereign line does not impress me either, and would actually say they are very similar in terms of performance to the Sony DEs in the same price range.

If $500 is your budget, you have some better choices.

4. Gustavo Meira

Gustavo Meira Auditioning

Can't do!

Do yourself a favour and buy a denon. there's certainly one within your budget!

5. John Garcia

John
    Marantz SR5200 msrp $549
    Marantz SR4200 msrp $399
    Denon 1802 msrp $499
    Harmon Kardon AVR225 msrp $499

6. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

From those I will get the Pioneer 811

But for me you should look DENON 1802 or wait for the 1803. This could be better options for you

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jordan, I picked the 811S (pretty much identical to the VSX-41 low end Elite model) for no reason other than to test it out and I ended up keeping it. Since you didn't give a breakdown of movies vs. music, I'll say the 811S is a good buy for movies. For music, it is behind the curve a little unless you don't mind turning on the Loudness or Midnight button/processing. This makes music sound very good - at least to me with the speakers I am using. Others have said, it doesn't help while others have said they like the 811S as is for music. Best to judge for yourself by listening to it preferably in your own room.

Also, you didn't say if you want to buy locally or don't mind Internet shopping. What you can and can't afford may differ depending on this.

I also agree with John that there are other choices in the $400-500 price range. Circuit City carries the Onkyo SR600 model and Cambridge Soundworks carries Marantz - the 5200 should be $500. Tweeter stores carry Denon and the new 1803 should be out next month I believe.

If you do a search for "budget receiver" in this forum over the past 4 months, you'll also get a wealth of info.

good luck,

--tom

8. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

John Garcia

If one had separate amps how would you rank the receivers Jordan asked about?

Thanks

Artie

9. Jordan.P

Jordan.P Auditioning

Thanks for the responses guys. I should have been more detailed in what I would use it for. I'll be using it mostly for movies, but also some music listening. The speakes I have now I am considering "give aways" once I get new ones. They do the job now, and I would really like a receiver with a decoder. Right now I'm using the Nakamichi (sp?) that's "dolby digital ready" so I have 6 RCA cables going from my DVD player to the receiver. I have Cerwin Vega speakers all around. 10s for front, 8s for reat, 6.5 dual center, and a 15" powered sub that can't reproduce accurate bass to save itself. I'm looking at getting the SVS 20 hz tuned sub, and Polks (haven't picked exact model yet) for front, center, and rear.

I have no aversion to shopping online, maybe I should have linked to crutchfield instead to avoid the comments.. heheh.

My budget is $400 max total (including shipping and/or tax).

I did go look up the Denon 1802, which seems very popular here... you guys would rate it above the HTR-5560? (no flames please, just trying to understand) The prices I can get on the HTR-5560 an the 1802 are very close (5560 a little cheaper, but not by much).

Thanks!
    -Jordan

10. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I knew someone would post about Denon recievers [​IMG] I've tried to talk Jordan into something other then BB stuff, but keep in mind the uber discount you get if you work there.
    So unless you can get a Denon 1803 for < $350 I don't think Jordan will be interested [​IMG]
    My current vote of those 5 would be the Pioneer, for the $ it's a great reciever, though it doesn't hold a candle to the "good" stuff. [​IMG]
    Brian

11. John Garcia

John

12. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

If those Cerwins are still 4 ohm, get the Yamaha or
    be ready for lots of "shutdowns" due to insufficient
    current delivery from those other choices.

13. Harry Callaghan

I'd go with the Yamaha - its equivalent RX-V630 has just won the latest What Hi-Fi supertest, narrowly beating the 811 and unfortunately for the poor 1802 it was sadly lacking.

14. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Any chance that BB can get Sony ES receivers? If 6.1 is not necessary, then I'd give the STR-DA1ES a good look.

15. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Jordan:

You're pretty limited at the $400 price point. I'd do whatever I could, wait as long as I had to, to move to the $500 range. The extra money couldn't be better spent.

At that price, I'd demo the Denon 1802, the Onkyo TX-SR600, the Marantz 5200, the H/K 225 and a Sony ES (DA1ES or 2ES, depending on price/availability). All of these are a step up from the Pioneer. Yamaha's are well-built and well-liked in this forum, they just don't appeal to me (aesthetically, if nothing else).

Bottom line: It's much easier to go wrong at $400. At $500, it's easier to go right.

--AM

16. Brian Kleinke

Best Buy won't be carrying Sony ES products anytime soon. They're priced higher then Best Buy wants, and aren't produced in as great of numbers.

17. Brian Kleinke

Btw is calling the Yamaha RX-V630 equivalent to the Yamaha HTR-5560 the same as calling the Pioneer 811s the same as the Pioneer Elite model?
    That is are there steps involved in the production of the RX-V that get skipped in the HTR?
    Unforunitly one of the BAD things about best buy is they've gotten companies to produce lower end models just for sale in their store. My local B&M store no longer carries Yamaha for this very reason, they customers didn't see why thy should pay more for a Yamaha from them then one at Best Buy.
    I'll agree with AM here, $500 is the key price point, but think of it this way... if you spend $300 now you can upgrade later [​IMG] And the extra $200 can be spent on speakers.
    Brian

18. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Jordan,
    I agree with Angelo. The units he mentioned are all steps up, especially in terms of music. I just picked up the HK 225 from J&R, an authorized dealer, for 360.00 shipped. The sound is clean and warm- great unit, great price.

19. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Are sure you can't get them anyway? One of the things I learned at CC is that I have access to about anything Velodyne (1/2) and Monster (2/5) carry. I'm still fishing w/ everything Harman International carries... dreaming. I have also heard from others there are times when you can pick up Pioneer Elites and other random High-end for cost prices. Fish around and I haven't heard the Ken vr6050 yet, but a guy bought a Panasonic Sahe200k and returned it to get teh Kenwood and raved about it. (salt salt) Good Luck.