Between Denon and Marantz

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Firat Cingi, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Firat Cingi

Firat Cingi Auditioning

Hi, still need help on deciding my AV Receiver [​IMG]

I was thinking on low-end Sonys and Yamahas but now my wishlist has changed. I have Marantz SR4600 and Denon AVR1906 now. I'm mostly using it for music, does it effect the choice between these two?

Does RS-232C connection really important for the future oparetion? My engineer-disciplined mind says so, but how many important upgrades seen in the HT world? (Marantz SR5600 has this feature)

I need Zone 2 setting but Marantzs don't have seperate speaker inputs for that. They changes to 5.1. Although Denon's support 7.1 in main room and stereo in the Zone 2; you can not play them at the same time unless 12 ohms speakers are used. I'll be either in the main room or in the Zone 2, so this situation doesn't really hurt me.

I'm leaning toward Marantz but just because of the Zone 2 abilities Denon seems a better choice. How efficient is Zone 2 application in this level of receivers? Does it really satisfy you?

Regards,

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    RS232 is useful if you are going to be doing whole house programmable control. Otherwise, it is all but useless. Firmware updates that can be done via the RS232 only have been rare for Marantz. Personally, on the lower models, I prefer Marantz to Denon. I'd say step up to the 5600 though. If you go with Denon, I'd also look at least at the 2106, especially if you intend to do multi-room off the one unit (I'd recommend using an external amp).

3. Jasen Chandler

Jasen Chandler Stunt Coordinator

John is right about all house control...In a street fight a marantz reciever would kick a Denon reciever to the curb, the same holds true in a sound quality comparison. I personally love the warm sound my Marantz has.

4. Firat Cingi

Firat Cingi Auditioning

Thank you folks (especially John), I ended my search with a Denon AVR2106 [​IMG]

Regards,