What's new

Betty Boop Classic Boxed Set Collection... What's Holding This Up??? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Is there even any hope at this point for a complete boxed set collection from Republic? I would pay top dollar for a completely remastered quality collection of original Betty Boop films, what are the chances that we'll ever see this in the near future?

Given that there's no legal matters involved to tie things up and complicate issues like another popular Fleischer icon, I don't understand why we haven't seen or heard anything from this yet. If so many cheap public domain companies could bank off these films with a plethora of thoughtless less-than-quality compilation releases, how could anyone go so far as to even doubt the success that such a set would pull?

I just don't understand it!!

Somebody please explain to me why Paramount or Republic or whoever currently holds license to distribute these films, has been neglecting these treasured classics for so long?

When will we see a proper box collection on DVD?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
When/if these come, hopefully we don't get a 'restoration' like the previous digital one.

Digital Video Noise Reduction was used to excess and really ruined the picture.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I would hope so. There was a really good VHS set tht eemed pretty definative. I would love to see a DVD set of these, and Popeye. (I'm guessing that's the one you were refering to, I didn't know it had a rights issue.)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I think he meant the LD box collections, Vols. 1 and 2.

Some thought it was all her cartoons, but they left some off. :D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Do NOT hope for a Boop set from Republic or Artisan. You'll get the Ultra-DVNR-o-vision transfers without original titles.

UCLA has restored nearly all of the Boop cartoons (most even have the original titles), so we should hope that Paramount will use them for their set(s) when the Republic library reverts back to their DVD department.

Paramount should also get Jerry Beck to do commentaries for the most significant cartoons (Minnie the Moocher, Snow White, and Poor Cinderella). He has contributed greatly to the Looney Tunes and the soon-to-be-released Tom & Jerry sets.

Of course, just using brand new HD transfers from UCLA's restorations would be a worthy buy.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

Four were thought to be lost at the time, although dupey 16mm versions of two of them have since surfaced in private collections. I don't believe they've been copied for archival purposes by Republic or Paramount, though.

I think there may have been one other omission that was simply an oversight, but I don't recall the details.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Paramount takes full control of the Republic library in mid-2005. In all likelihood, Republic will cease to exist even as an imprint, label, or a logo when that occors.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think he meant the LD box collections, Vols. 1 and 2.

Nope, it was VHS. I rented it from a local video store. It was probably a VHS version of the Laser disc though. It was 8 volumes. I never saw it as a set, but presumed that it would of been released as such. Each tape was about an hour long, and was arranged by theme. Tape one had an intro by one of Fleischers kin, if I remember right. It was about 8 hours in total length (the whole set, not the intro .;) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks