BetterCables vs. Monster 2.4s?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinYee, Nov 6, 2001.

1. KevinYee

KevinYee Stunt Coordinator

I have a question on cables. I need a pair of 23' biwire cables to connect my Aerial LR5's to a Theta Dreadnaught amp. I have the opportunity to purchase a set of Monster Cables 2.4s biwire cable for about 60% off list, for a total of around $550. The Bettercables in a similar length is around 1/2 this cost. Is the Monster 2.4s a much better cable? I know the Bettercables offers a money back offer, but the Monster doesn't, so if I purchase it, I'm stuck with it. I am currently using the Monster 2.4s on my center channel (Aerial CC5), and it sounds better than the previous cable, but I went from zip cord to that cable.

2. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

I think you could do much better than both of your choices.
    bettercables are fine for video but not for speaker cables.
    Buy one of the better retail brands. Nordost, Kimber etc..

3. KevinYee

In the same price range?

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I own the Monster 2.2 15 foot speaker cables & center speaker cable and can honestly say they are the most impressive speaker cable I have ever owned but I didnt realize they made anything longer then the 15' lengths. Now that I have said that I still think that for the price you could save yourself money and go with something else like Kimber and get something of like quality for less money. I know when I replace my speakers I will be going bi-wire and I will probably not be going back to Monster even though, I can get it also, at 60% off retail.
    (60% off sounds like someone is ordering them via accomodations directly through Monster) [​IMG] Great deal, if you are going to get them make sure that you get the monster master lock set so you can choose the connection (banana, spades, etc.)
    KyleS

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I know doug over at catcables just made some annoucement of getting in some speaker cable. I'm not sure of the details but knowing doug they'd be worth a listen.
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

6. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Is there really a difference between a $550 set of Monster bi-wire cables and a set of DIY cables made from 12AWG Monster cable and banana plugs for around $45 and about a half-hour of your time?
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

7. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

How about I make you a set for $150.00 for the pair
    and we can put whatever name on them you want..
    (And if we use a high end name they will even sound
    better!)
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Brett DiMichele
    My Home Theater Site!
    [email protected]

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I can't comment on the Monster 2.4s biwire speaker cables, but just the other day, I biwired a pair of Totem Arro floorstanders connected to an NAD C 370 stereo integrated amp with Monster MCX-IS biwire cables (10-foot). I had been using standard Monster XP speaker wire off a roll and had not biwired the speakers prior to getting the MCX-IS cables. The soundstage and imaging improved greatly with the MCX-IS cables. Of course, I changed the type of speaker cable and went to biwiring at the same time, so I can't say for sure if the improved sound quality should be attributed to the better quality of the new speaker wire, the art of biwiring, or a combination of both. In any event, the MCX-IS biwire cables made a significant difference. A 10-foot pair of the MCX-IS cables was only $85 and Monster Lock banana plugs for them were only $37.50, so I can't complain about the cost incurred to achieve a significant improvement in sound.
    I just picked up another 10-foot pair of MCX-IS biwire cable tonight to biwire a pair of Energy e:XL 25 floorstanders connected to an NAD C 350. I will connect them tonight and report on the results.
    Before I bought the MCX-IS cables tonight, I briefly considered buying a 10-foot pair of Monster 1.4s biwire cables for $225 and using them for the Totem Arro/NAD C 370 system. I would have then moved the MCX-IS cables I already have to the Energy e:XL 25/NAD C 350 system. I decided not to buy the 1.4s biwire cables because I didn't really want to spend the $225, and I also felt that if I were ready to spend that much, I should look into other brands. There are many quality speaker cables in the price range of Monsters better cables. The MCX-IS cables are quite good for the modest investment, however.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

9. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I use Monster for all my cabling, but something always bothered me about their cable. A lot of it sold in rolls does not have the gauge on it. Unless a person can tell gauges by looking at them, they usually don't know what size they're getting.
    I bought more cable tonight and it looks as though the price has gone up significantly in the past 2 years. The last time I bought cable, I bought a 100' roll of 16AWG Monster for less than $40. Tonight it cost me $65. I was going to buy 14AWG, but the 50' rolls sold for $75 each!!! For what I'm doing, the 2 gauge size increase isn't worth $35.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

10. John Morris

John Morris Guest

My personal opinion... if you don't go Silver, just go BIG. As in 10 gauge.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

11. Josh LeClair

Josh LeClair Agent

Not to sound like a complete moron here but could someone possibly point me to a site detailing what bi-wiring is or possibly explain it to me?
    I'm slowly getting into all of this and heard the term often but don't know what it is.

12. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

13. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Hi there,
    Check out Kimber Kable,
    The 4tc or the 8tc would sound great
    4tc $7.00/foot + terminations
    8tc $14.00/foot + terminations
    Check out www.audioadvisor.com , they are running specials on audioquest's higher end cables and their MIT selection is very well priced.
    www.catcables.com would also be a very good place to start.
    Just my .02
    Good luck
    By the way, those Aerials are to die for, you are a lucky guy!!
    Josh

14. Ken Stokes

Ken Stokes Agent

Hi Kevin,
    How is it going? I don't think that I can add much to this discussion other than to say that I am currently running Better Cables from my Dreadnaught to the LR5s. I had some Kimber Cables (don't know which) once and like the BC cables better. Brad at BC is a great guy and you have six months to return them if you find better. I did try some very expensive cables (not sure what) that a friend of mine had and really didn't hear a difference. Let me know how things are working out.
    Ken

15. KevinYee

Ken, are you biwiring your LR5's? The dealer that I'm getting my LR5's thru is willing to also cut me a deep discount on Cardas cables. Even with the big discount, however, I'm not sure I want to spend that much on speaker cables. The problem is that I need a LONG run, about 23', to get to my front right speaker. The run to the left speaker is only about 5', but 'll most likely buy the pair in equal lengths. Good to hear that you've had good results with the Bettercables. Another factor in my decision will also be the resale value of the cable. This HT bug makes me want to upgrade every single aspect of my system at some point or another. And that will eventually include the cables that I decide upon now. I always see name brand cables up for resale at decent prices (ie, Monster, Cardas, Nordost, etc), but I don't see much resale on brands like BetterCables, Rhinocables, etc. Just something else that is affecting my decision.

16. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Kevin,
    For speaker cables I would still stick with retail cable brands.
    If my memory serves me Bettercables uses Canare (4S8)or Belden (1810A) multi conductor wire. Nothing wrong with them. Good quality cable in fact and bettercables return policy is great. If you can, try a speaker cable using Teflon insulation rather than PVC. You could always buy the Bettercable design as well as a retail brand to compare on your speakers. Then simply return the one you don't like.
    Or why not try your hand at making your own and saving a lot of money? Both the above (Belden/Canare) cables can be purchased in bulk for about .41-.44 cents/ft. Just crimp on some banana plugs or spades and you are in business.
    Have you checked out the kit cable offerings from Diycables.com ?

17. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Mark: Don't you mean diycable.com (no s on the end)? Here is a link to their site http://www.diycable.com
    God Bless America!!!

18. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Oops sorry. Yes you are correct.

19. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

20. Ken Stokes

Ken Stokes Agent

Kevin, I'm running spades on the Dreadnaught to biwire bananas on the speakers. I don't remember the math on the speed of sound but I don't think matched lengths are a requirement, maybe that would save a little. I looked at the DIY site and unless I'm missing something I don't think that it would save enough to make me want to try it. I just read a review on some 8' speaker cables for 2k, the reviewer said they were a "value" and that he purchased them for his own system. I don't want to step on anyones toes but this seems just a little on the illogical side of things. I don't claim to be an expert but why should the speaker cables be of better quality than the wire inside the speakers? High gauge, well shielded, and correctly terminated makes sense, much more than that just doesn't. I should add that this is my simple logic and not based on any double blind anything. As for resale I just checked audiogon and ebay and didn't find any BC cables anywhere. Check out the return policies and buy a few at a time and have a shootout, if nothing else you can justify some extra hours enjoying your system [​IMG]
    How many hours do you have on your speakers? I'm sure that it took at least 300 hours to get mine singing. Now they are pure joy!
    Ken