Bettercables Composite cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by greg_t, Dec 10, 2002.

1. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Hello all,

I am getting a new Elite 530 RPTV in a couple of weeks, and will be hooking my Elite 79 LD player to it via composite. I went to Bettercables site and found that a 3 foot composite cable is $79.99, which is pretty steep for a composite cable I would think. Does anyone here ever used their composite cables before? I originally hooked my LD player to my 27" TV via an RCA Home Theater brand composite, then later switched to a $20 Monster Cable composite, and the difference that the monster cable made in video quality was easy to see. I want my LD to look the best they can on the new set, but would like to know if anyone has used the bettercables composite and what the results were before I spend $80 on one cable. Any information or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Considering that you have a pretty good LD player and TV setup, I would go with pretty good cables, but I don't know if composite really needs all the stuff Bettercables puts on it. Unless all of your equipment is professionally calibrated and you have eagle eyes, my guess is that the difference between a $40 AR Master cable and a $80 BetterCable would be minimal at best.

That being said, I don't actually have any BetterCables and so I can't really say what difference, if any, they would make over cheaper cables. Based on what I've seen in this forum, most of the difference is with the viewer and not the equipment.

Maybe somebody who's seen BC compared with other decent cables can chime in here. Like LeVar Burton says, "You don't have to take my word for it." I'm just trying to save you some money.

3. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

ygpm

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Remember that the cost of a cable is mainly labor, not materials. Since their Component cable set is only $99 - why not buy the Component cable (you are going to need one for any PS DVD Player or HD Decoder) and use one of the wires for your LD player until you need the Component cable for other sources?

5. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

I originally read great reviews on all of their cables and ended up purchasing six cables from them. I returned all the sets (except for the component video cables which are fantastic) because, like you said, I couldn't heard the difference.

6. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Thanks for all the replies.