1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bettercables.com? any experience?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Blaydes, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Jason Blaydes

Jason Blaydes Stunt Coordinator

anyone on here use these cables or no someone that does? i was looking at a 2meter component video cable and it cost like $120 bucks. i'm just wondering if these cables will perform any better than the pheonix gold cables i currently have. if anyone has had any expereince with these cables at all, please post a comment... it will be much appreciated. thanks and peace [​IMG]

2. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Welcome.....
    If you use the search feature for "bettercables" under hardware, you will find an hours worth of posts. Also try www.audioreview.com and search under bettercables.
    Good Luck
    Ron
    IMO, terrific cables, even better service at a fair price.

3. Ed_A

Ed_A Stunt Coordinator

Jason,
    if you're considering getting 2m of bettercables I'd suggest that you check out CatCables.com and KustomKables.com as well.
    All three are highly regarded. You can't go wrong with any of the three. You may want to consider your application also...do you have a progressive scan DVD player and a HDTV/or RPTV? If so, you'll want to go with a high quality cable...If not then you won't notice AS MUCH of a difference, IMO. Don't get me wrong, component cables are the way to go, but spending the $120 plus on a cable for use with a 32" non-HDTV may be better spent on other hardware. You won't notice as big of a difference between cables on a 32" TV as you would with a 50" RPTV...and even more so with a progressive scan DVD player and HDTV. If you're planning on eventually buying these two items then the cable is worth the investment.
    I have the cable that KustomKables.com uses (Canare) and really enjoy the picture I get. In my application I didn't think the extra $50 would be worth it to get a CatCable or BetterCable; considering I don't have a HDTV or progressive scan DVD player. YMMV.
    HTH,
    Ed

4. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I'm using the Bettercables $120 Component Cable with a Non-progressive Scan DVD player on a 32" Panasonic HDTV. I upgraded from a Monster one. There was a difference in favor of the Bettercables one, not much, but it was there.

5. HankM

HankM Second Unit

I use Silver Serpent component cable from my Panny R-91, the Bettercables was a definite improvment over my Monster Cable 3 component cable. They offer a full 6 months money back guarentee from your original purchase date and also offer a life-time warranty if something happens to the cable.
    ------------------

6. Jason Blaydes

thanks for the input everyone, and please keep it coming. i currently do not have a progressive scan dvd player, but i'm going to upgrade in the next couple of months for sure... i'd say by december i will have one. i just bought a toshiba 55h70 (55in hdtv ready) set. i'm under the impression that this is a progressive scan unit... anyone know for sure? when i purchased it i wasn't really considering progessive scan... i just wanted something that was hdtv ready. so with what i currently have, should i get some better cables?... especailly if i'm gonna purchase a progressive scan dvd player in a few months? thanks and peace [​IMG]
    PS - i just went to catcables.com and looked up their component video cables. a 5meter cable was only $80 bucks as compared to bettercables.com 2meter cable being $120 bucks. has anyone seen the difference between these two cables? is one better than the ohter? cause there's a $30 dollar savings with catcables. later
    [Edited last by Jason Blaydes on September 20, 2001 at 05:25 PM]

7. Ed_A

Ed_A Stunt Coordinator

Jason,
    Actually you misread (sp?) that...
    That's $80 for 1/2 meter (0.5 meter) of CatCables.
    Actually the bettercables is a less expensive than the Catcables.
    Ed

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I think someone recently did a test between the two and said that the catcable was slightly better. Also there's a coupon available for catcables that lowers the price gap significantly (there's a copy on my website if you don't find it else where) For what its worth I think the locking RCA's on the catcables are worth the additional cost.
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi
    [Edited last by Andrew Pratt on September 20, 2001 at 05:49 PM]

9. Jason Blaydes

sweet, thanks for the coupon.
    anyone else seen the difference between the two?

10. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Andrew,
    I recently tried to use the coupon you provide on your site but it came up as invalid when I tried to order. I think it has expired.

11. Ed_A

Ed_A Stunt Coordinator

JasonRH,
    the coupon works...just make sure that there isn't a space in front of the coupon code when you enter it. The space in front of the coupon # causes the error to come up...
    Ed

12. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Thanks, Ed, I'll try it again. Is the coupon still worth the full discount?

13. James D

James D Second Unit

The coupon is now only worth $10 instead of $30. You have to hit the backspace button on your keyboard and then enter the coupon. Also, the coupon deducts $10 off of every item that you order, not just the first item.

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

or you may consider a 12 foot length of GE from Target for 20...before you consider dropping considerable amounts of your hard earned money, ask for some documentation from the manufacturer instead of individual testimonials...after all, this is not the Carlton Sheets show!

15. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

James, regarding your comment of being 10 off, instead of 30. I should clarify. Initially, CAT had a "suggested retail", and "your price". How this worked was, if you didn't have the coupon, you got 20 off suggested retail of each product. With the coupon, you got 30 off.
    But to simplify this process, which some thought confusing, and to clarify that the first price really wasn't our real price, I decided to just eliminate the suggested retail and inflated discount. Now, it's 10 off the "real price", that we had all along, just no suggested retail above that figure. Make sense? It seems a little easier to understand, and makes our real price that much more competitive. I felt the clarification was in order.
    Thanks,
    Doug
    CATCables

16. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

No they won't. I know nothing about you existing cables, but I'm confident that Better Cables are no better.
    ------------------
    Norm Strong ([email protected])

17. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Jason:
    I have some of the Silver Serpents and I was able to discern a considerable difference in the video picture that I was getting from my system. I was using Monster video cables before and switched to the Bettercables just to see if I would notice a difference. (He does give you a money back guaranteee if you don't notice a difference with no questions asked). I am using the composite outs from my non progressive DVD player as my TV doesn't have component inputs.
    At any rate, let me first clarify that I am not the kind of person that thinks one cable over another really makes that much of a difference. I am also the kind of guy that doesn't rely on numbers from a scope to tell me what I am seeing is not what I am seeing. I use my own eyes and ears to test stuff. I am funny that way. So I went into this not really expecting to see any difference over all.
    So, I switched out the cables and I was floored by the difference that it made in the overall clarity of the picture. It was kind of like a filter was removed from the circuitry of my TV. So I tried other sources besides DVD and the same thing applied.
    Then I went out on a limb and recommended them to other people that I know and they ARE cable people. That is they believe that a good cable improves your system all the way around and they are very hard to impress. Well to the last of them they all are still using the Bettercables. Many of them unplugged them and plugged back in the old cables to see if they really were seeing that much of an improvement or not.
    So, the bottom line for me was that they improved the picture on my set. That is all that mattered to me. If they didn't improve it I knew I could always send it back.
    Oh, and for those of you that think otherwise I asked Brad if he wanted to advertise on our site not the other way around. I guarantee even if they weren't an advertiser that helps support this forum I would still recommend them to anyone I know.
    Parker

18. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Parker,
    Have you had any experience with the catcables products?