What's new

BetterCables 'better' than Monster that I have? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Robert G ,
I received your E-mail. I sent you one back. I hope it will help ease some of your concerns about my post. :)
I apologize to Robert and the rest of the forum members. I didn't mean for it to come off as a personal attack. I guess it did.
I have nothing against Robert. But I do disagree with him that if you don't notice a difference when trying new cables then it is your equipment or your eyesight. It could be simply that your current cables are doing a fine job. Now it sounds like to me that monster obviously has a QC problem with their component cables if they can't make a pair for 200 dollars that aren't defective.
Kevin C.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Kevin:
I appreciate your apology, but more importantly, your clarification. To my end, I think you are reading something into my statement that was not intended, namely, a negative connotation with regard to one's equipment or one's eyesight.
First off, we have to agree that not all TVs are created equal. A high-end, properly setup monitor will be more revealing of the subtle attributes of a video image than will a monitor of lesser quality. The observer must also be taken into account. I see things in my video image that my wife simply doesn't, even when I try to point them out.
Each individual has to assess their own ability to decern minor variations in a video image (or in audio for that matter), and perhaps more importantly, how important a small diference is. Some people simply don't notice the small things that others do.
I accept these as givens. On that I base my reply to the question "will I notice a difference" with these qualifications. The answer could also be phrased, "you might, and you might not". My intent is to not promise someone something that they may or may not be able to see. It is not disrespecting their system or eyesight.
In this specific instance, Tom Boucher indictaed he was using a mixed set of composite video cables for his component video and wondered if he would see a difference if he switched to a high-end cable like the Better Cables. Since I have done a comparison of an even better Monster interconnect than he was using and found the Better Cables superior, I offered my personal experience for him to consider. I can't tell Tom if he will see the same improvement I saw. Only he can decide that.

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
The terminations on bettercables component cables look like cheap plastic junk too me. Anyone agree?
They look like little plastic party hats. :)
Very cheezey,,However it is the performance that counts, which I can't comment on since I do not own any cables form BC...
I am a CAT. :)
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated new pictures
due to recent upgrades!
**Equipment list current

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I know this has probably been resolved already, but I wanted to make a slightly unrelated comment to a previous post:
Sounds like to me you are saying that either you will agree with me (that it looks better) or your equipment is obviously inferior or you are blind.
I believe Obi said "more revealing". That does not necessarily translate to "better". Transparency is one of the attributes that a system (audio or video) can aspire to, but it is not the only one. There are other objectives that one can build their system around, and one system can be compared to another to find out which one is "better" only if they set out to meet the same goals in the first place. Taking audio as an example, some people build systems that are revealing to the point where the listener can hear every breath of the singer, can hear the singer's lips being parted. However, such a system often has the side effect of making poorly recorded material sound horrible. A different system might obscure these minute details, but convey the emotional impact of the music more convincingly. Is one of these systems "better" than the other, in any absolute sense? I don't thinkso - they're different systems, built around different goals, and that's how they ought to be compared.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Not to get way off topic, but I use a few sets of Monster's flagship M1000cv component video cables. They are ISF certified and by no means are the most expensive video cables, but are priced at $200-$300, which is still high. Have to admit that I obtained these cables cheaply, but frankly, I'm happy to have "ISF" certified cables. Here's why:
Like many people, I don't have the luxury or time to try to get a bunch of cables together and do a/b comparisons. As others on this forum, we try to post a topic like this to get a "gist" of some of the cables that are less disputed to be head and shoulders above the rest. (makes us feel better about plunking $$$ down on a product we haven't tested ourselves) I like the fact that a fairly REPUTABLE institution like the ISF has TESTED some of these products to some degree and gave their stamp of approval at least at some level of performance.
Of coure, like THX, there's always a debate over the merits of ISF certification, especially when there are theories over which type of cable design/material is better. However, like THX is for audio, ISF is pretty much the only institution of its kind for video and is the closest thing to a third party endorsement of a cable product out there. CONCLUSION: If you're going to purchase something on user testimonials, I can only see upside when it's also bolstered by ISF's endorsement.
I'm very sure that Better Cables makes an excellent component video cable. I'd love to give them a try, but since I'm running the M1000cv's, I just don't feel the need to spend the $$$ to get them. MY $.02
Elbert

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Well, from what I have heard, the Bettercables cables are hand soldered and just built with care using good components. That will result in cables that perform as they should.
My personal belief though is that you can create cables that are as good yourself with the proper tools and cable/connectors.
Why the $200 Monster are perceived as inferior is however difficult to explain... I guess it has to come down to poor QC as was said earlier?
------------------
/Kimmo

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
There is not one thing wrong with the better cables connectors. Nada! I like the low profile and I really like the fact that the heat shrink goes almost to the tip of the connector. This reduces stress at the connector.
The cables have a snug fit on all my gear and they fit in places that I have had difficulty with when using cables with larger terminators.
Cheap plastic hats they most certainly are NOT!
Mike

Stefan A

Second Unit
I have to say that while I had the SS cable, I loved the terminators. They fit real snug and were a breeze to plug it. When going back and forth between my monster 3 (which I decided to keep) and the SS cable, the monster was always a PITA to plug in because of the stiffness . Also, the color on the monster terminations are not the same as the color on the actual components. The color of the SS cables are the same so plugging them in was a snap.
With that said, you only plug them in once and forget about them - so I could live with that difference. After reading all these positive testimonials, I am considering buying it again after my set is isf'ed. I REALLY want to see the difference.
------------------
Stefan Antwarg
My DVD Collection
The Regal Brass Quintet Not HT related

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I've got the hook in my mouth. On the subject of Audio, which "should" perform better?
A) optical
B) silver serpent digital coax
I reallize that it may also make a difference as to how the receiver outputs the information (48/96). My receiver only outputs 48 on Optical.
Sony DVP-650D DVD/CD player (dual optics)
Sony STR-DB930 receiver
Infinity RS-5 fronts and rears
Infinity CC-3 center
Infinity HPS-1000 sub
Thanks!!
John

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Nevermind the reply. If they're good enough for Obi and Mike K, it's certainly worth it for me to give them a try!!
Thanks guys!!
------------------

Stefan A

Second Unit
I noticed you have mentioned in other places that you do not have a Prog Scan Player yet you do have an HDTV...
So I was wondering if maybe that might be part of why you did not notice much of an improvement
Max,
You could be right, and perhaps once I get a calibration and a p scan player I will try again. The thing is, I was under the impression that a different set of component cables affects mainly things like sharpness and color detail. I was also under the impression that a p scan player improves things like motion artifacts. When I was evaluating the ss cables, I wasn't looking for issues that I thought were only corrected by a P scan player. If I am correct in the purpose of these 2 things, than why would a p scan player make a difference in the performance of cables?
Of course, all this is new to me so I may be way off. Either way, once I get a new player and calibration, I think I will give it a try again.
------------------
Stefan Antwarg
My DVD Collection
The Regal Brass Quintet Not HT related

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks