BetterCables 'better' than Monster that I have?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Boucher, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

I've been debating upgrading my cables on my system. I'm finally in my own house and I want to make things 'right'.
    My component interconnect cables are a mix of cables purchased over, oh, probably the last 10 years. All of them are Monster cables that were purchased at the local Best Buy when I needed new interconnects.
    I got annoyed when we moved at one of them, because it was so tight when I pulled it off it ripped the connector input off the back of my amplifier, I managed to get it back on due to the design was a simple plug in, but I panicked for a bit.
    What I'm wondering is if I buy these cables from Better Cables.com, are they worth the $$? The silver serpent interconnects for .5M are $79!
    Will I notice a difference? Or should I just go buy all new Monster Cables from my local dealer?
    Thanks
    Tom
    ------------------

2. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

It depends on your system and how critical your eye is. In my personal experience, the Better Cables Silver Serpent component vidoe cable made an immediately visible improvement over a similarly priced Monster Video 3 component cable (which would be better than using mixed composite cables in a component video application).

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Its that very reason (tight RCA's) that I really like the new cables I got from http://www.catcables.com

4. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Check out the reviews at www.audioreview.com My personal experience is "yes" they are better. I've replaced all my cables from Monster to BC. Before I sold the Monster cables, I had a chance to do an A/B comparison and found in both video and audio they made a difference.
    IMHO
    Ron

5. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Tom,
    I had two Monster HD comp cables. One hooked to my DVD Player and one hooked to my HD box.
    A few weeks back a friend gave me a fancy home made cable and I skeptically replaced the monster cable from my DVD player to my TV.
    I really did not expect much as I thought the monster was a good cable. It made a difference in the colors that was noticable right away and created a need to adjust them. I can't say if that was an imporvement or not but I think it was. It also seemed to sharpen up what I thought was allready a great picture coming out of my Sony 9000 DVD player. I had never thought it blurry before but it just looked so much sharper that I started to think so.
    So after that got me to thinking I ordered a BetterCables Silver Serpent 2 meter component cable and a Siver serpent Digital interconnect. They Arrived today. I decided to put the Better Cables cable on the DVD Player and move the home made number to the HD box. I did not notice any huge improvment over the home made cable. Maybe a little and I have not run any test paterns or adjusted anything yet. There may have been some minor things that show up when I see some test patterns.
    So what does this mean. It means that both of these cables looked better then the monster cable did.
    Oh My friend is not going to build you a cable so I suggest you try Better Cable Silver Serpent. [​IMG]
    BTW They are an advertiser here so it does help support the board by buying from them, I also believe they offer a money back deal if you are not satisfied.
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
    Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!
    [Edited last by MaxY on August 24, 2001 at 09:32 PM]

6. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I have Monster 3 component cables. Because of several reviews I had read comparing the 2, I decided to give the Silver Serpents a try. I spent several hours going back and forth comparing the 2 and I just couldn't see a difference. My wife said she thought the SS were a little better but couldn't really point to something specific. I ended up sending them back - which was a breeze. They are certainly great cables, and I like the ergonomics a little better than the monster, but I just didn't think it was worth the extra money.
    Stefan Antwarg

7. Ronald Aguilar

I also was a little skeptical about the differences of the cables. My twin brother hounded me about getting Monster cables. I only had them for about 2 months until I gave in and tried the Silver Serpent Component cables. The change was very apparent for me. My wife noticed immediately, saying how much sharper the picture was. She wanted to know how I improved the picture so much. Now my TV is large (80 inch) and I hear that the larger the picture the more you notice.
    Ron Aguilar

8. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike
    You must tell us what you are going to be using it on and (most importantly) what will you be doing with it (music or film sound). Good cables are no where near as important for a film soundtrack as they are for critical music listening. Im not saying they arent important but in a two channel music situation they are more critical.
    I think I must have gotten the very first Silver Serpent Component cable off the assembly line. You couldnt pry it from my hands now. Superior quality and construction and even though you can use test patterns to actually "verify" the improvements, once it is in and you begin your normal watching the subtle details will seem to jump out at you.
    TIP: For the best image quality from your display NEVER run any video signal through your audio processor. No way, no how.
    I also use the Silver Serpent analog interconnects (the ones you asked about) in my stereo audio path....same results as above. They are the finest interconnect cables I have ever had in my rig, and I have had some extremely well built cables in there. But they werent the silver/copper hybrid. I think THAT is the difference.
    Qualifier: This the equipment used for this assesment.
    Sony 9000es DVD transport
    Marantz AV9000 pre-pro
    5 Marantz MA500 mono amps
    Adire Rava sub (music only)
    Adire kit 281 speakers
    Perpetual Technologies P3A DAC and P1A Corrrection engine
    Mitsubushi 65" 857 model HDTV
    Audio Control Rialto Equalizer
    Mike
    [Edited last by Mike Knapp on August 25, 2001 at 06:39 AM]

9. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

It is worth noting that the Monster M1000v component cable is the only cable endorsed by the ISF. I would submit that just as all cables are not the same, neither are all across the monster line.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org

10. PeterG

PeterG Agent

I feel quite confident that quite a few other cable companies would be able to obtain "ISF certification" if they chose to pay the ISF the requisite fee for certification. I am a great supporter of the goals of the ISF but in my opinion the prime, but definitely not sole purpose, of this certification is revenue generation for the ISF. This type of endorsement is meaningless to me but YMMV.
    Peter
    ------------------

11. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

CatCables are the GIG boys & girls... just got a digital cable from them and boy, is it pretty... check'em out.. www.catcables.com
    - Chip
    ------------------

12. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

This is perhaps a bit different application than you are talking about, but I replaced a Monster Series 3 I was using for the coax audio feed from my DVD player to the reciever with a Better Cables Ultra. I wasn't expecting much change. Boy, was I fooled. There was a significant improvement. Both were about the same price, so it's not an issue of "expensive cables", but rather that the Better Cables just plain performed better than Monster.
    I also replaced my component video feed cable with a Better Cables with a significant jump in picture quality, but it wasn't an upgrade from a Monster Cable.
    Deane

13. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

The terminations on bettercables component cables look like cheap plastic junk too me. Anyone agree?
    - Chip
    ------------------

14. Robert_James

Robert_James Extra

Yes....they look like cheap plastic junk. Never having owned any I disclaim any direct knowledge, however. [​IMG]

15. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Robert G.
    So what exactly are you trying to say with this statement:

16. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Yeah, my main dislike for bettercables comes from the fact they don't use locking RCAs on any of their cables. It's really hard to tell how good the quality of their plugs are since they cover them in heatshrink.
    Get a better cable for your $ and get a pair of .5m Silvercats. For the same price you get a PURE silver cable w/ very high quality locking connectors. You can see them here . Plus, if you plug in this coupon code:
    XRPAP150-30
    on the order page you get $30 off (cuts the price down to $49 /pair). Damn nice deal on a great cable.
    ------------------
    "But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy
    [Edited last by JerryW on August 25, 2001 at 06:53 PM]

17. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Kevin Coleman:
    Sounds to me like you are trying to pick a fight. What's the deal with that? I think my reply to the question "will I notice a difference" was simple enough. What is your purpose in trying to make it into something else?
    Not everyone has a video system that is revealing enough to show subtle changes. Not everyone has a critical eye when it comes to subtle variations in things like color depth and saturation and very fine detail. Pointing this out as a way of qualifying one's answer to what is, for the most part, a subjective question merely brings these factors into the equation. These things should be considered before making a blanket statement regarding something as subjective as high-end cables, which I tried not to do.
    What's with the hostility?
    [Edited last by Robert George on August 25, 2001 at 07:28 PM]

18. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

I replaced a $200. Monster M1000SV, 2 mtr., component with a $99. Better Cables Ultra Component and the difference was not subtle. The BC simply performed at a higher level than the Monster. In more than a few categories.
    And I don't have any issue with the fine Canare RCA's which BC provides with the Ultra. Makes for a nice tight connection (no useless Monster death grip here). I don't know what brand of RCA BC uses with the SSerpent component so I can't comment.
    And what is with the sudden woody over locking RCA from Catcables? I'm sure Lex(Doug) would agree that locking RCA's are fairly common with more than a few manufacturers. And I'm sure Lex makes a fine array of cables too. But geesh.
    There is a long list of fine cable makers that utilize locking RCA's. Harm Tech and Acoustic Zen come to mind. And their cables sound pretty darn good too.
    Don't knock BC over this use of non-locking RCA's, please. You may as well include Kimber, et al... as well.
    If you really want a eye popper .... put your display on a dedicated circuit, and your audio on another dedicated circuit (both with a Pass & Seymour 5262A duplex outlet). Who friggin cares if your wire screws down or not. That's an upgrade in real terms.
    Also, if you do use locking RCA's, play around with the tension of the locking cylinder. Too tight gives your sound a wedgie, which may sound as you could imagine.
    Anyway, I really like my BC Ultra cables. Great bang-for-the- buck Canare setup.
    BOK
    [Edited last by Brian OK on August 25, 2001 at 09:11 PM]

19. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Members,
    This thread is not going to be another battleground of "The Wire Wars". Stop taking opinions stated here as a personal swipe against you. I can't believe the hostility over something like cables. Let's keep our perspective and stop reading more meaning into posts that was never intended in the first place. If you can't then I, along with the rest of the moderators will do whatever it takes to keep the peace and ensure good discussion without hostility. We will not allow this forum to go in a direction that will reflect badly on the membership, management, and ownership of this forum and thus threaten our comfortable environment in which people can discuss home theater related topics without the prospect of being flamed. This is not a threat but a guaranteed course of action!
    Crawdaddy
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Robert Crawford on August 25, 2001 at 07:53 PM]

20. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Stunt Coordinator

I won a BetterCables componet video cable over at Home Theater Talk. It is not the silver ( new model) but just one step down and it makes my 65907/RP91 combo look wonderful.
    ------------------
    There can be only one!
    My DVDs