What's new

Better version of Tampopo available? (1 Viewer)

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Well, what's the actual bitrate on the disc?

This is a rhetorical question, so don't go out of your way to answer it. I'm basically saying right now that the vast majority of the image quality problems on the Tampopo disc (and a lot of other FL titles) are inherent in the master (which is quite obviously the same one used for the old VHS edition) and not the result of poor compression or excessively low bitrate or anything like that. If they had done it on a 1000 GB disc and used every available byte I doubt it would've look noticeably better.
Good point, but somehow I don't think they've done their best. Just the synch problem would suggest this.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Thanks Donald! I have ordered it. Their shipping rates to Canada are excellent too ($1). I just hope I don't get dinged too much for brokerage fees.
Now if I could only get Link Removed on DVD.
(The Story of Qiu Ju would also be nice if I could replace my crap ChinaStar DVD version which has no English subtitles and which has forced Chinese subtitles. I think I'm gonna rip this disk to my hard drive and delete the Chinese subtitles, and then burn a backup copy to DVD-R. The subtitles are damn irritating and they don't help me any. :angry:)

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
OK, I got the new Yi Yi. The video quality is WAY better than the Fox Lorber one. I'd say the quality is OK but not great, but the Fox Lorber one is way below average.

OTOH, it looks like I'm gonna keep the Fox Lorber one too, because of the commentary track.

The Korean version still has a few slight shifts in the video, as well as focally visible artifacting, and pronounced edge enhancement. The Fox Lorber one's video quality is like a cheap bootleg. I wonder what the quality of the original print was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks