Better version of Tampopo available?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eugene Hsieh, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

I have the Fox Lorber one, which ain't that great. Is there another better one available anywhere?

Strangely enough, this entire DVD is only 3.5 GB. I thought that in the very least the people would try to make use of the space available on disc but on this one 1/5th of the disc is still empty. But then again I wonder if it would have made a huge difference, since it seems the original print isn't the greatest.

2. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Also have the Fox Lorber release. Not aware of any other version. If they made another, with special features, I'd snap it up.
    Without fail, this movie makes me incredibly hungry. And, oddly, a little excited about raw oysters and egg yolk. [​IMG]

3. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

Me too[​IMG]
    I love the movie, but the DVD looks pretty crappy.

4. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

5. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

AFAIK, all of Juzo Itami's movies in the states are through Fox Lorber (hiss!). I've been looking for better R2 releases, but with no luck. Unfortunately, Tampopo is the best of the bunch, quality-wise. The other movies (The Funeral, A Taxing Woman, A Taxing Woman Returns, Minbo) are all P&S (hiss!).

John.

6. Jean-Michel

7. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

8. Jean-Michel

9. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Jean-Michel:

Sorry, I guess I had a case of VHS brain damage. You are correct that Minbo and A Taxing Woman Returns are only available on VHS in the states.

John.

10. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

In defense of Fox Lorber, some movies may never make it on DVD if it were not for them (one that comes to mind is The Draughtman's Contract), as long as what they make is not worse than VHS, I will take DVD anytime. And yes, I do have Tampopo, again, if it's not Lorber, the only other option would be VHS.

11. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

To be honest, though, aside from the instant chapter access ability with the Tampopo DVD, I don't think Fox Lorber did us any favors with this release. In fact, the really poor job they did with subtitle/dialogue synchronization on this disc makes it even worse than the VHS release in that regard.
    Don't get me started on Fox Lorber....[​IMG]

12. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

I would love to see a better version of Tampopo. Great movie but not so great DVD. The subtitle synchronization problems really bother me too.

Gregory

13. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

14. Jean-Michel

I should point out that the first VHS release of The Draughtsman's Contract (done by MGM) makes the FL DVD (hell, even the FL VHS) look reference quality. The DVD could've been better, yes (although it's pretty impressive when you consider that it's one of FL's earlier releases) but it's hardly down there with Tampopo or Diva. Actually, I'm going to go a bit further and say that the FL DVD of The Draughtsman's Contract actually is of "decent quality." (Same with A Zed and Two Noughts.)
    As for revival theaters, don't get me started, the only one within driving distance of me closed years ago....... [​IMG]

15. Steve_Ch

Ted, I have to disagree, I saw "My Dinner with Andre" on FL a year or two ago, now that's definitely NOT an obscure movie, but even if I want to see it on VHS, the local BB don't even carry it anymore, does anybody even remember the last time My Dinner with Andre was even shown on ANY revival theaters ??? Another movie that comes to mind is Dream Child, which is only available in P&S VHS (as far as I know), I would love to have somebody FL or otherwise to get it on to DVD. With Diva, I actually saw it on FL before I eventual brought the Anchor Bay version from Mike deHaven here. Granted, the sound is bad, but there's noway I can watch it on a P&S VHS, as the visual is so vital, with FL, as least is WS. Another wonderful film in the 60s, "The Wrong Box", which I posted on the movie section and asked if anybody even remembers it, and gotten no reply, I would not mind at all to have FL put it out on DVD.

16. Ted Todorov

Steve,
    I've bought ~30 Fox-Lorber DVDs, and let me tell you, I feel pretty stupid for having done it.
    Let's start with the 12 or so François Truffaut DVDs which I have now replaced with the VASTLY superior MK2 boxed sets (R2 - France) (they contain ALL F-L Truffaut films). They are all wonderful anamorphic transfers with commentary tracks and all sorts of incredible supplements (and yes English subtitles, if you were wondering). Diva I mentioned. Several F-L Eric Rohmer titles will be reissued by Criterion. Beau Pere & Emmanuelle are coming from Anchor Bay. Yi Yi with its awful PAL to NTSC converted transfer came out in way better shape from StarMax (R0 NTSC).
    I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but even so, as of right now well more than half (18+ of the F-L stuff I bought) has been a COMPLETE waste of money. I'm sure that within the next couple of years I will have replaced the rest of my F-L mistakes.
    I can name only three decent F-L DVDs in my collection: Rohmer's Marquise of O & Perceval & Breillat's Perfect Love. They don't have a single extra between them, but at least the transfers are good.
    Maybe I'm just more patient than most people here, but with a 540+ DVD collection, more than half of which is unwatched I can't afford not to be patient. My last mistake was buying Criterion's non-anamorphic Mona Lisa -- mere weeks later Anchor Bay releases it in the UK with an anamorphic transfer and the director/star commentary track (at a much lower price, to boot).
    I will buy no more inferior releases: that is my solemn pledge. If I wait, something better WILL come along.
    I can't comment on the Draughtman's Contract transfer, other than to say that it is not anamorphic. Sorry, I can and will wait. The other films you mentioned haven't been released by F-L, so I fail to see your point.
    Lastly, when I see My Dinner With Andre playing at a local theater, I'll post here -- and trust me I will... There are about 10 full or part time revival screens around me.
    Ted

17. Jean-Michel

18. Steve_Ch

Ted,
    We have to agree to disagree here. Besides DVD, I also have recordings of Glenn Gould, Horowitz.., etc that are real subpar, I can listen to the great performances and tolerate the technical imperfection or I can put all of them away and put my faith in someday, somebody will do a better job. My choice is to take the best available now, excluding ones that chopped off 1/3 of the performances (such as P&S of a widescreen film).
    BTW, I am an old guy with deterioting eyesight and hearing, wait a few more years, I may not be able to tell the difference anymore [​IMG] .

19. Ted Todorov

20. Ted Todorov