Better Version Of Ronin!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Sturge, Feb 2, 2002.

1. John Sturge

John Sturge Stunt Coordinator

I was watching Ronin last night, and I was let down by the lack of extras and no DTS track. Is there any other version maybe a regional one that has such things?

2. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Well, the R2 DVD has a really great 30 min documentary (a little EPK style though). However, the image quality on the movie itself IS the worst I've ever seen.
    This is a screengrap I took:
    http://home.chello.no/~jtellefs/Ronin.jpg

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

A good place to search for the different releases throughout the world is http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/soegalle.php3
    The R4 release also has an EPK type documentary. Other than that, the Frankenheimer commentary & the alternate ending seem to be the only meaty extras.

4. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

5. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Well, fear not, it's not THAT bad throughout the entire movie. But it is pretty bad.

6. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Actually there are a couple of short featurettes hidden on the R1 DVD as well. You were only supposed to be able to access them via a DVD-ROM enabled web chat with Frankenheimer shortly after the film came out (there were supposed to be "replays" of the chat, but I don't know if they're still going on). You can access the clips by fooling around with the titles setting on the DVD (I think that they start at around title 52, but I can't remember exactly). There was a page on Steve Tanenhill's now-defunt DVD Resource site devoted to accessing these goodies. He's a moderator around here so maybe he could post the directions again?

- Guy

7. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

8. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

I dug out my copy of Ronin and fooled around with all the title options. Most of the hidden stuff are really brief (5-30 second) behind -the-scenes clips with no narration (presumably Frankenheimer explained them during the chat). Here's exactly what I found:

Title 1 - the movie

Titles 2-21 - clips from the film (presumably referenced during the chat)

Title 22 - A 30 second clip of the crew rigging a camera to the front of a Porche for the chase through Nice.

Title 23 - Quick Clip of the special stearing wheel rig mounted in the trunk of the Audio S8 from the Nice chase.

Title 24 - A reflector mounted on the side of the Audi (this one's only 3 seconds long)

Title 25 - A clip of the camera mounts on the Audi

Title 26 - A behind the-scenes clip of the end of the Nice car chase (where the Audi rams the other car into the restaurant)

Title 27 - A still of some toy cars laid out on a street map (presumably used for planning the car chases)

Title 28 - A BTS clip of the meet with the arms dealers, where Sean Bean checks the guns.

Title 29 - A BTS clip of the shootout under the bridge between Jean Reno, Bean and the arms dealers

Title 30 - A BTS clip of Jean Reno jumping into the Peugeut for the final car chase. The Peugeut is towed by a Mercedes.

Title 31 - BTS clip of the BMW going of the end of the freeway

Title 32 - Same as 31, but from a different angle

Title 33 - A third angle on the BMW going off the bridge

Title 34 - Frankenheimer's welcome to the chat message

Title 35 - The Alternate Ending (more easily accessed from the main menu)

Title 36 - Copyright notice

Title 37 - MGM DVD Logo

Title 38 - Also the MGM DVD Logo

Title 39 - MGM.com ad

I hope this gets you a little more enjoyment out of your Ronin DVD!

- Guy

9. John Sturge

John Sturge Stunt Coordinator

Yes! Thanks a lot Guy.

10. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

holy god that was bad picture! Up until seeing that, the worst DVD I had seen was "The Big Kahuna." I ain't seen nothing yet.

Mike