Better Upgrade: CD Player vs DAC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeromeS, Aug 4, 2002.

1. JeromeS

JeromeS Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinking of changing the way I listen to my CDs. I currently use a Panasonic RP-91 and I'm thinking of getting a CD player or a DAC with the RP-91 as a transport.

The CD players I'm thinking of getting are the Music Hall
    CD-25 or the AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000.

As for DACs I'm thinking of MSB Link III w/upsampling and a P1000 Power base or the Perpetual Technology P-3A with a Monolith Sound P3 power supply. There are some good prices for these over at Audiogon. If I go with the P-3A I might get the P-1A DSP in the future.

Which one would give me a better sound? I'm thinking around $500-600 to spend.

My current equipment is PSB Image 5T speakers, Outlaw 750 amp and a Yamaha HTR-5250 receiver as a preamp.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jerome, I can't answer which approach would be best, but I do have the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player, which is a very solid player in its price range. Upscale Audio will be offering a 24/192 upsampling board for it for $300 soon. I have read a few good comments about the Music Hall player over on Audio Asylum, but that's it. There are other players in your price range to consider such as the NAD C 541i, Rotel RCD-02, and Sony SCD-C555ES. I suggest you look at the 'C555ES. It's an excellent CD player and offers SACD playback to boot.

Regarding DACs, I have read a lot of good things about the Perpetual Technologies unit. However, if you are considering the addition of the P-1A, you might also consider the Musical Fidelity A324 upsampling DAC, which goes for $1200. It has gotten excellent reviews both in print and online. Lin Park has a thread running here about the A324, which might provide you some useful information. Lin has used the A324 with the 'RP91 with good results.

3. FredS

FredS Extra

I'd recommend the P3A, especially if you enjoy upgrading your system. As you mentioned, the P1A is one upgrade. MODWRIGHT has two additional upgrades they can do for it. Do searches at www.audioasylum.com in the Digital forum, and you'll find lots of comments on this DAC as well as the MSB.