What's new

Better to burn at slower rates? (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Hi all,

I'm in one of my college's choirs, and we just had a concert last Friday. I've gotten ahold of a recording, which was burned onto a CD-R. There are many noticible skips, so I ripped them all onto my computer. Would I be able to get less, if any, skips if I were to burn at 4x than at 16x or 24x, or does it just depend on the quality of the CD-R?

Thanks,
Thomas

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
depends on the burner. If the burner has burnproof or some other limiter on it it shoulnd't matter what speed you burn at as it'll try to maintain the buffer or slow down burning until the buffer's full again. Generally speaking though the slower you go the more likely you'll have success.

C. Stewart Weaver

Auditioning
Thomas,

It is better to burn an audio CD at the lowest speed that your burner supports. Usually, burning at slower speeds help reduce the "read error rate" later on, during play back. All CD's play back with a certain amount of C1 and/or C2 errors (correctable errors), but the lower burn speeds help reduce the instance of CU errors (uncorrectable errors). CU errors could produce skips, pops, & tics, in the sound if not properly corrected by the CD player.

Also, an audio CD has no built-in data redundancy, unlike a CD-Rom disc. So, in audio, if a digital bit is misburned, there is no repeated bit in an adjacent sector on the CD, to reread the corrupted bit from. So, the lower burn speeds help in the correct burning of each digital bit.

Hope this helps,

Stimpy

PhilBoy

Second Unit
I burn wav at 8X...

If you have Nero there are tests you can run on various cd's to see just how many errors they have.

The slower the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks