What's new

Better than RP91 (1 Viewer)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Ya I've read the review so when I saw Stereophile reviewing an Elite DVD player I quickly leafed through it. I flipped to the end where I read their ringing endorsement and forgot all about remembering exactly which DVD player they're talking about. Is there a DV39 coming out? That's what I think it is if not it's probably the DV38A.
The review from the link you posted is definately one that makes me say ouch. I always thought Elite DVD players were one of the best. So far it seems that magazines seem to regard the Elites highly while online it has received a lesser review.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Frank_C. If you have been following my DVD posts you would have noticed that I am not at all adversed to buying the RP91. I do NOT want to buy a DVD player over $1500. It is just that everyone has been talking up the RP91. I am convinced by people here that it is the DVD player to buy at that price. Since I'm not one to upgrade my DVD player I am willing to pay extra for perhaps something a bit more future proof and better quality. I just want to know if there's something a step up from the RP91 that isn't too much more that is worth shelling the extra for that is all.
What I want from this post is either a recommendation of DVD player that is $2000CDN or less (Marantz? Elite? Integra?) or a sort of endorsement that there isn't a player $1000 more than the RP91 that is worth getting. I am not rich that is why I am annoying you guys with endless posts trying to get a majority decision on a particular player.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I would say that the best way to get significant improvement over the rp91 is to wait for the next generation of players. A year from now there might very well be a player for what the rp91 costs that kicks it's butt. Of course, it'll also kick the butt of anything you can get now for $1500. So, if I were you and I could afford to spend $1500, I'd spend $500 of it now on an rp91, and the other $1000 a year from now and end up with a better player than a $1500 one today.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
There's the new DV-6200 (1 disc) and the VC-5200 (5-disc changer) players by Marantz out there. There are very few reviews on them, but the ones I found were very good. There's the Mediamatics de-interlacing thing, but if you see few video-based material or if your TV has a good de-interlacer, then I guess this is a good pick.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Since I don't have an HDTV and don't plan to buy one do you think I should just save my money and get the RP91. Does the RP91 perform well in non-progressive mode or would the other players I have mentioned the Integras, the Marantz, and the Elites perform better. I'm thinking I should just save my money and spend on a kickass receiver right?

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Toshiba has just put on sale in Japan the SD-9500 which appears to be successor to the 9200 but at higher price. It just hit the stores and I could not find brochure so do not have the specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks