What's new

Better than RP91 (1 Viewer)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Okay I know many of you love the RP91. But how 'bout a DVD player for those who are looking for something better than the RP91. How 'bout throwing out some DVD players that are
1) top of the line high-end stuff
2) $3000-5000 player
3) A step up in price and quality over the RP91
The RP91 can't possibly be the best on the market even though it is a great unit and great value for sure.
Just something that is worth getting and paying the extra for if you want something better than the RP91.

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Howard,
Check the other thread on the Toshiba 9200. Some feel it is better than the Pan 91 and it's available for less than $600. List was $1500-2000. You don't state your requirements though: prog? DVD-A? etc.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Why limit yourself to $3000-$5000? Go for the Krell--I think you could get it on sale for around $7300. :)
Secrets has a review of the Meridian player. It retails a little over $4000.
Link Removed
The Camelot Roundtable would be another one to look at as well.
DJ

Andrew P

Second Unit
The Toshiba 9200 is not in the same league (video-wise) as the RP-91. I would say in the $500-$1,500 range the RP-91 is the best player. I have not tested any player in the $1,500+ range.
Im still looking at the Sony NS900V, but im not sure if this player will best the RP-91 either especially at a cost of $1,000.
Andy

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Howard:
The simple reality is that most high-end DVD players just don't have it where it counts: good video quality.
The Pioneer Elites are ridden with a horrendous chroma bug and poor deinterlacing. The Toshiba 9200 also has the chroma bug.
The only players I can think of are the Camelot Roundtable (based on a Panasonic chassis) and the Pansonic H2000 DVD player, which is essentially the RP-91 in high-end guise.
I was also looking for a high-end player, having lived first with the excellent excess of the Pioneer Elite DV-09 and then the DV-37. I decided that until these high-end players started worrying more about their image quality than how much they weigh or how shiny they are, I would pass.
----
Jeff
------------------
"They're coming to get you Barbara..."

Jaehoon Heo

Stunt Coordinator
My short knowledge FYI:
1. Somebody I know on line tested both RP91 and H2000, and he concluded that audio quality of 2 players are similar to each other, while H2000 seems to have chroma delay problem.... He concluded that RP91 is better both in video quality and cost/performance ratio.
2. Enlightened Audio Design has a new DVD player called Ultra DVD, based on some Panasonic DVD-Audio player, but enhanced with their high-end audio expertise, and with even FL/FR balanced XLR output. It also can be optionally equipped whith Faroudja/Sage DCDi deinterlacer.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the responses.
I have heard only good things about the RP91 here. Sound is pretty important to me and I was wondering how the RP91 stacks up in terms of sound to the Elite players for example and others with a "higher end" brand.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Have you looked at the Denon 4800 yet? It has the same scaling abilities that the RP91 has, it's supposedly chroma bug free, and it's a carousel.
If it's sound you're interested in, you'll be glad to know it has Burr-Brown DACs all the way around, bass management is included for DVD-A, and it uses the Genesis chip that so many love in the RP-91. Someone may want to correct me if I'm wrong, but it is a newer Genesis chip.
One of the fellas here did a review a while back, he had two of the 4800s and found there to be a problem with non-anamorphic video when zoomed. I'm not sure if that's been addressed, but it would be worth the look.
If you are serious about a high end machine, the Meridian is a fine piece of gear. Remember, you will have to buy a seperate video processor in order to use progressive scan. But hey! what's money for? :)
Jeremy

James D S

Screenwriter
quote: while H2000 seems to have chroma delay problem....[/quote]
No way.
quote: and it [Denon 4800] uses the Genesis chip that so many love in the RP-91.[/quote]
That's the only thing I DON'T like about the RP-91! :)
[Edited last by James D S on November 15, 2001 at 05:10 PM]

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
have you checked out the Marantz line? i know they recently put out their first DVD-A/V player...it should retail about in your price range.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I haven't really "checked" out any line. But I have been looking at the Integras, the Marantz and the Elites. I know Integras and Marantz make good speakers but do they make good DVD players? I really need some direction.
Do you think the Integra DVD players and Marantz DVD players that are a bit higher in price than the RP91 are better? I'm looking for a DVD player in the $1000-1500 range preferably. But I don't mind paying more if it's really the one to get and I obviously don't mind paying less and buying the RP91. But I do have a little headroom in terms of money to spend on a DVD player and I'm looking to maximize my budget and returns.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"That's the only thing I DON'T like about the RP-91!"
Good point....suppose there's no need to take a look at the Denon.
Jer

Jaehoon Heo

Stunt Coordinator
I really meant it to be "chroma delay", not chroma bug. I know a video expert, and he tested H2000 with his VE DVD, and found that it has some chroma delay problem, though the player doesn't offer the control over chroma delay.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Howard, take a look at the Integra DPS-9.1, which is a higher-end version of the Onkyo DV-S939. Both are great players, but for the extra $200 or so, I'd go with the Integra unit. It's a sweet machine. I don't own one, but I have used one at a local store several times. The '9.1 sells for about $1600. For $3000 or so, take a look at the Integra RDV-1, which is a higher-end version of the '9.1. The '1 is a player to drool over. It is very elegant, and is an incredible performer. I've used it a few times at the same store that sells the '9.1. Both are truly excellent players.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on November 15, 2001 at 11:32 PM]

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Ansering the Marantz question, there's the SA-12S1 which is DVD/SACD multichannel for $3075 at Absolute Audio Video and the DV-12S1 which is DVD/DVD-A THX but I don't know how much it is.
Their the new reference line, but sadly I haven't seen them and action yet and have been unable to find any reviews/comments.
:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Deleted. Nevermind.
redface.gif

------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on November 16, 2001 at 05:57 AM]

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I've been calling about the Integra 9.1 and I'm convinced that it's a premium machine. However, since I'm looking at a receiver as well and not having an HDTV, I'm not sure if I want to spend that much on the DVD player. What I want to know is how the 9.1 compares with the 7.2 and the Marantz units as well as the RP91. The RP91 price is very affordable. I like that very much. I'm not someone to constantly upgrade my player so I want to get a good one that will still be great in the future.
I'm anxious to buy and have narrowed it down to the Integras, the Marantz and the RP91. (I've thrown out the Elites since I've heard questionable reviews lately). Is the 9.1 all that better than the 7.2 and the RP91. If it is then I'll definately consider it but I'm thinking it's too much to pay for a DVD player in terms of value. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I quickly leafed through a review of the Pioneer Elite DV39? (or was it 38A?) and it gave it a big endorsement. I think the magazine was Stereophile. I just quickly leafed through the review so I don't know. Anyhow that got me thinking about the Elites again. There seems to be two entirely different views. They either think there's significant problems with it or it's one of the best out there.
[Edited last by Howard_S on November 17, 2001 at 09:47 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks