What's new

Better than DVP-S9000es (1 Viewer)

Mark_Buss

Grip
Hello, perhaps this question has been asked hundreds of times before here - but for those who have seen the Sony DVP-s9000es DVD player, is there a new player that trumps it and doesn't cost a forture? That is better AUDIO and VIDEO, not just one or the other. And nothing in the $1000 range, they drop in price like stones. The reason I'm asking is that I am thinking of moving it into my office and using it for SACD. And given the price of new DVD players these days I figure something should be better than my 2 year old 9000es. Thank you!
mark

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Your 9000 is still a fine machine worthy of a leading role in your home-theater system. The model was replaced by the 999, which, according to magazine test reports, bests the 9000 in some areas, but not enough to merit replacing the more elegantly designed and ruggedly built 9000.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Define Audio? If you're asking for a DVD player that can do better SACD then the answer's likely yes since the 9000ES was only 2 channel SACD and there's now a slew of players that can do multi channel SACD. There's also players that can do DVD-A that the 9000ES can't so depending on which you want to listen to that could be a required feature. Of course we're starting to see players that can do both DVD-A and SACD with the Yamaha being the most talked about. If you're talking only about redbook performace I believe the Sony's still going to hold its own against just about any sub $1K DVD player (though not necessarily against sub $1K CD only players)

As for video that's more clear cut since the Sony's got a chroma issue and doesn't perform nearly as well as some of the more recent Panasonic based DVD players (the aforementioned Yamaha is a panasonic baseded model).

So I'd say as good as the 9000ES is (and it is good) you can do better now with some of the current models like the Yamaha SACD/DVD-A player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks