Better speakers really needed?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by James Sarno, Sep 24, 2003.

1. James Sarno

James Sarno Stunt Coordinator

Hello all...
    I would like to start by saying that I am new to HTF and I'm looking forward to joining in on all the fun.I have learned so much just by reading all of the threads and I'll be looking to learn so much more.
    Witch brings me to my question...
    I've been looking to upgrade my speaker system,the speakers in use now are the Infinity Entra One(2 floorstanding,center,2 rear and Entra sub)
    My problem is this,since my living room is not big(13'x17')they provide more than enough sound...crisp and clean(powered by a H/K avr110)...The thing is I have heard a few people talk about how good Paradigm speakers are and from what I've read in this forum,good reviews also...am I losing something by sticking with the entry level Infinity's?....can I find a 5.1 Paradigm setup?....if so what price range?...and is my avr110 strong enough to run them?...would they be too much in a 13x17 room?....I know...a lot of questions.
    ...Anyway,good to be here and thanks for any help you guys can give me.

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well for your reciever, and HK is usually powerful enough to power a mid-sized room. As for speakers, it is really your decision. Some people like other speakers that other people don't. Just look around and if you like something better and really want it then get then. My recommendation goes to Klipsch though.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Man, i had a wonderful, eloquent response typed up and my stupid IE crashed.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh well, i'll summarize, i probably got too winded anyway [​IMG]

Go listen to paradigm, they are an insanely amazing value. You can use their dealer locator on their website, their performance series starts in at roughly $200/pr, and prices go up from there. I beleive they still have some prices for packages, to give you a little idea. If you have a sub already, that might be a big chunk of $$ that you may not need/want to spend replacing.

And then go listen to everything else you possibly can, and pick out what sounds best to YOU.

As for klipsch, it has a particularly unique sound, which some people love, and some people hate. You should go listen, if you love it, go with it. I personally do not (i own paradigm, so im biased there), but as always you should listen and pick out what YOU think is best.

You may find that you're fine with what you have, or you may find that you can get an amazing improvement for not much $$. Hard to say, but take some time, be thorough, and audition EVERYTHING under the sun carefully.

Gud loock! [​IMG]

4. James Sarno

Thanks for the info Chris...
    I'm about to go"window shopping"....
    ....See if I can listen to a few systems,let you guys know how it goes.
    Thanks again...[​IMG]

5. James Sarno

Well...went to a few small audio/video stores,was unable to listen to any Paradign speakers...went to Circut City,tested the Infinity Alpha's...they sounded good...ask the salesman about Paradign,he liked them...said it was'a step above' the Alpha's...have to find some Paradign's to listen to...any specific model I should look at?

6. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Paradigm Monitor 7s are popular and if you're willing to spend more, you should definitely look into the Studios!

7. James Sarno

Do the Monitor 7s or Studio's come in a 5.1 package and/or set up?...If so,in what price range?

...thanks for the info!

8. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

9. Steve Crowley

Steve Crowley Stunt Coordinator

Paradigm makes some great speakers but what are you going to use them for? If it were HT then I would say Klipsch but if you were going to go more the 2 channel route then Paradigm would be the better choice. You should listen to them and make your own decision. I have had Klipsch Heresy since 78 and have been satisfied with them. Of course if I would have had the insight(and money) I would have bought the Cornwalls. Still looking for a pair here in Houston. Damn them Astros.[​IMG]

10. James Sarno

Thanks for the links Paul...I'll have a look.

11. James Sarno

Steve...It would be 80/20 HT...Someone else also recomended Klipsch...maybe I should have a listen.

thanks for the info!

12. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

James,

What are you using to audition the speakers? Whatever the store has available or are you bringing some stuff of your own. You should absolutely bring your own material that you are very familiar with. Listen to as many speakers as you possibly can. What everyone here recommends are speakers they like and we can sometimes get into very heated debates so please beware that the topic of speakers is VERY opinionated. You may find you'll love Paradigms or Klipsch and you may very well hate them.

Personally, I think Paradigm makes some excellent value speakers in their Monitor line. I don't know what your budget is but based on the equipment you noted above I'll assume its on the lower side. Something like two pairs of Mini Monitors and a CC-370 ($1090 MSRP) and Hsu VTF-2 sub ($500) would be a very nice little system. Klipsch also make excellent speakers but I've never been a fan of their sound, too bright for me.

If you're willing to buy internet direct, the ELT from av123 or Ascend Acoustics speakers will provide excellent value.

As I noted above, listen to as many speakers as you possibly can with your own material. Narrow down your choices and then try to arrange for an in home audition. Your room and electronics can make a very significant difference. You may find, as I have previously, that a speaker you love at the dealer, you can't stand at home.

Good luck,

Alex

13. Steve Crowley

Steve Crowley Stunt Coordinator

Check out Klipsch,JBL S38,Ascent,Axiom,Infinty,Wharfedale,
    For Subwoofers goto SVS,HSU,Velodyne.

I have an Onkyo TX-DS797B for home theater and could not be more satisfied. Denon,Marantz,Yamaha and NAD are good RCVR's

As far as DVD and the such search the forums. As far as turntables go, I would look at Thorens,Linn. Analogue Spacedeck is good but I have not heard one. Good Luck.

14. James Sarno

Alex,
    Thanks for all of the options you have given me,I defintly will be bringing my own material as you suggested...
    I was looking at the Monitor 7s or 9s floorstanding for the fronts...
    But like you said,It's what sounds good to me...I'll start doing my homework.
    Thanks again Alex for your help.

Steve,
    Thanks for the recomendations....
    As for my receiver, I love my HK110,if I was to upgrade it would be another HK...
    let's see how the new speakers(after I do my homework) sound with the 110...
    As for analog...My Technics 1200MK2BK is still going strong!

Once again thanks...

15. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

James,

Your welcome. With speakers in the Monitor 7/9 range you'll have many more options than what I was assuming. I've always liked the 7's but never paid much attention to the 9's. For primarily HT, the 7's should be fine if you'll be getting a sub right away. A system composed of the 7's, CC-370, and Mini Monitors would be excellent. Throw in a SVS 20-30PCi or PB1-ISD and you'll be set for years. You'll probably find yourself upgrading to the HK 525 though.[​IMG]

Also in the slightly higher price range this would be a fantastic system which is on sale now. I ended up going with their Package #2 and an extra pair of 150's and absolutely love it. I was initially considering a Paradigm system with Monitor 7's as mains or B&W's with 603's for mains. I really refer the sound of the Rockets (but this is just me) and the build quality and finish is leagues beyond anything in their price range. For a slight premium, they're also available in ebony. The center channel is phenomenal! Only problem is they're an internet direct speaker. If you're interested in auditioning them you can check audioenvy.com to see if there are any owners near you or check at the av123 forum for owners. Their sound has been compared as being similar in style to Sonus Faber and Vienna Acoustics, maybe not quite to their level but close and cheaper. If there are any SF or VA dealers that may help in determining what sound you're looking for. They do have a very generous return policy but you would be out return shipping. When you consider the audition is in your home, with your gear, for 30 days the cost of shipping isn't too bad.

Ultimately, my advice and everyone else's here means squat. Listen to everything you can and let your ears decide. Any way you go will be an improvement you'll be happy with.

16. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Alex said it all as usual with a very fine worded post. I will just second him as he covered all the basics completely. Good post Alex...