Better speakers or Tube Amp?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Phil Budgell, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Phil Budgell

Phil Budgell Auditioning

I have been looking at an old Dynaco SCA-35 Tube Amp to play around with since I heard tube amps are great for music. I also have been looking at a set of Axiom M3ti's for speakers for my home theatre. The Fiance noticed that the money I would spend on the tube amp I could order the M22ti's instead and get a better speaker. I am wondering what I should do, I can only do one of it so both is not an option. I currently have a Yamaha RXV-530 reciever if it helps at all. Thx for the input.

Phil

2. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

Contrary to popular belief around here, amps are not the end all to sound. If you want a better sounding system, you need better sounding speakers and that is all there is to it. They are certainly the most important part of a system. Yes a quality amp will provide cleaner power to a pair of speakers, but it is not night and day between tube and ss. Of course this is all my opinion and I will hear a lot of flack about it.

3. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

Blasphemy! [​IMG]

Jason's advice is good. When money isn't readily availble in whatever amount you might desire, always look first to speakers and room treatment for improvements in overall sound quality. When you don't think you can go much further in those two areas, or get bored with those areas, look to sources, DAC's, processors, amplifiers, interconnects, speaker cables, tin-foil hat... in somewhat that order of importance. [​IMG]

4. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Are you handy with a soldering gun?

I think this is really something you should take into account as the amp is old and most people that I see using the old Dynaco's these days are modding and upgrading them. So if you went with the amp, keep in mind that it may need some new parts installed, unless the current owner has already done so.

With that being said, the amp could be a great learning experience as well for a very small investment (~$100).

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

What speakers do you have now?

The sound characteristics of those two Axioms are very different. If you like the M3Ti you may not like the M22Ti and vice versa.

6. Kevin_R_H

Kevin_R_H Stunt Coordinator

Phil,

Here's my two cents. What type of tube amp are you interested in? I ask this because matching speakers with tube amps can be much more problematic than with solid state amps.

For example, some low-powered tube amps (to include SET) will only come alive with ultra efficient speakers (usually horns with SETs). This is important. If you decide to buy your speakers now, and a tube amp later, you need to be careful you don't paint yourself into a corner. This could happen if you buy 4 ohm speakers that are moderately efficient (say 86dB). If you bought speakers like that, very few tube amps (that are priced within reason) would be able to drive such speakers.

What I'm trying to say that if you are really interested in buying a tube amp down the road, be careful with your speaker purchase now. Otherwise, you could be sorry.

Kevin

7. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Pick your favorite speakers first, then select an amp to best suit them (it might not be a tube amp).

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Start with the speakers.