Better Receprtion : AM Tuner

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DaveSarcevic, Jul 20, 2004.

1. DaveSarcevic

DaveSarcevic Agent

I live in the Tampa Bay area. Yesterday we got Howard Stern in our area. Unfortunately it's on AM station. In my 4Runner the reception is ok. But at home and at work, it's terrible. I was wondering was there an easy (cheap) way of getting better reception. I was going to make a run to Radio Shack but I figured I would ask here first, rather a clueless teenager at RS. The only AM antennae I have now is the plastic oval one you get with the reciever, same at work.
    Another question is there a program that can be used on the computer to listen to AM. No luck with the streaming content from the station, they didnt offer it.

Thanks

2. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I got a GE Superadio III from Etronics for $40 to receive AM signals at work. Its the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

3. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

For some reason, old fashioned analog tuners work better on AM radio than Digital units

the GE supertuner that Mark listed has always received good reviews for AM tuning

4. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

The reason being, with few exceptions such as that GE model, manufacturers stopped giving a damn about AM reception a long time ago when more people started listening to FM instead. Then came CD players, equalizers, remote controls, MP3 players, and all sorts of other things that add to the cost, so that the presence of an AM tuner has become just a token formality with proportional attention to quality.

5. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

You could try a "long wire" antenna. If you have room to stretch it out , just connect a loooong wire to one of the antenna jacks. Not very sophisticated but it might work.

6. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Home you should do okay with the Superadio III. However I bought one for work and still couldn't get AM in my building. Most modern office buildings have tons of computers, monitors, fluorecent lights and metal framework to make an AM signal impossible to receive.

7. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Have you thought about running a loop or ferrite antenna OUTSIDE? That would almost certainly improve reception.

We live in a stucco building. I couldn't get "good" reception from even the strongest local stations, and the weak ones were just static...

I had to run an antenna out through a nearby window, run it up to the roof, and VIOLA... On some nights I can pick up stations from 400+ miles away...

Also keep in mind, AM reception is GREATLY effected by:

-Seasons (I believe this is the BAD time of year... but don't quote me on that...)
    -Time of day (Day versus night)
    -Time of Day 2(Most AM stations broadcast on lower wattage at night)
    -Atmospheric conditions (fog, etc)
    -Solar activity (Flares, storms, etc)
    -Fluorescent lighting

Obviously, you have no control over most of these factors, but if you are listening near lots of fluorescent lights, turn them off and see what happens...