Better receiver for $830 than Sony DA5ES?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Kolacz, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Dan Kolacz

Dan Kolacz Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I am going to be getting a new receiver. I really do not know much about the different manufacturers equipment and how they compare to Sony quality.

I have always bought Sony equipment and have been fairly satisfied with the performance.

Local store is offereing to sell the Sony DA5ES receiver for $830 which seems like a pretty good deal for a receiver of this caliber.

If there is something else I should be considering, please let me know. I watch DVDs, listen to music, and play Xbox all about equally.

I currently own the DB-930 Sony and think that this may be a good upgrade quality wise.

Thanks

2. Aaron Holbrook

For that price look at the Denon 3802, excelent reciever. I dispise sony products now. I few months ago I would have said different but after my buddies reciever keeps blowing, and my dvd player messing up because of an engineering design flaw, I say they can go screw them selves! Oh yea back to the point, might want to check out Onkyo also. By the way you can get the Denon 1082 which is the same as the 3802 at ABC warehouse. The list is 999 but my parents went in there and talked tough and walked out with it for 751.

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I just went from STRDE-835 to the DA5ES. It is like night and day. Only had it couple hours, at that price, you will be overwhelmingly surprised[​IMG]

4. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I see you are on both forums! This is the one you will get the most help. $750 for the 5es is the going price. Fine unit and a great price. Consider the HK 520 from anywhere, and the Denon 3802 at 6th ave, and the onkyo 898 from anywhere.

If you are buying local, negotiate on this stuff. All the prices I quoted you are from outstanding dealers who take a product back and give you a new one if it doesn't work. They also pay the shipping both ways. $830 is not bad , but not great. Ask for $100 worth of free cables. Remember that you save at least $50 on tax through the mail.

5. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Ps/ I see you are from NY. You may have to buy from Oades to avoid the tax. I don't know the rules for your state. Or plan a trip to Disney, and stop by Oades on the way for a pick up.[​IMG]

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Aaron said: