better quality with new player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Hi,

I have an old Sony 530D DVD player. Its a single disc player with DD, no DTS. I think ive had it for 2 or 3 years now.

My question is, if a buy a new player, specifically the Toshiba 4700, will there be a big difference in quality over my Sony? Its a progressive scan player, but all i have is a non-HD Sony Vega. Also, I will be getting component cables if i get the new player. Right now I just have Monster S-Video cables.

So is the purchase worth it? Is there new technology in the newer players that they didnt have when I bought mine what seems to be ages ago?

I can get the Toshiba 4700 for $190 brand new.

thanks

anthony

2. Anthony Moore

anyone?

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, it's a bit of a tough call. First of all, $190 is a great price for the Toshiba SD-4700. The '4700 gives you progressive-scan, which you could use down the road if you were to upgrade your TV. However, I understand that progressive-scan output is not a priority for you now. The '4700 also offers DVD-Audio, which provides higher-resolution audio than CDs. To my mind, the '4700 would be worth picking up at $190 just for DVD-Audio. The question is, will the '4700 give you a better picture than the Sony 'S530D? I'm not sure. I haven't used the '4700, but Toshiba players, in general, are known for giving jagged artifacts upon downconversion to 4:3 sets. Maybe Toshiba has improved this with the '4700 (and '5700).

When you said that the 'S530D has no DTS, I assume you meant it has no on-board DTS decoder. The 'S530D has a Dolby Digital decoder and no DTS decoder, but it can pass a DTS bitstream to an external decoder. I don't know if the Toshiba '4700 offers on-board DTS decoding, but it might. Many DVD-Audio players are equipped with both Dolby Digital and DTS decoders. Is on-board DTS decoding in a DVD player important to you? Does your pre-amp/receiver not have a DTS decoder?

4. Craig

Craig Second Unit

My Toshiba 6200 had a noticably better interlaced picture than my older Toshiba 3109, so you'll probably notice some difference just from the improvements in technology not directly related to progressive scan. The other bells and whistles are nice to have and you're not risking much for $190. I say give it a try!

5. Anthony Moore

well, i have a Denon 3802 to do the decoding for me. I was just wondering about the picture...

thanks

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Just bought a 4700 last weekend, and the picture quality is great - no problems thus far [​IMG]

7. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I am in a similar situation. I am looking to replace a Sony S-300, that also doesn't do DTS. I can't decide if I want to go with a progressive scan player, yet. I have also been looking at the Sony 650V, the 5 disc player with SACD.

Hank, the great picure quality, is that progressive or non-progressive?

8. carl.k

carl.k Auditioning

Anthony, $190 is an incredible price for the 4700, is that online and does it include shipping? I might have to buy one. Thanks [​IMG]