What's new

Better quality connection. (1 Viewer)

Stuka1939

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
I am a new home theater enthusiast. I have a Viewsonic pj551d DLP, Mustang 16:9 92" motorized screen and a Yamaha 5.1 surround system. I would like to input all my video devices into the Yamaha receiver and then send all signals to the projector via S-video. Thing is I have no S-video out on my reviver. Is the quality good if i go out component from the receiver and to the projector S-video via a component/S-video converting cable. O shall I go directly from the 1080p unconverting dvd player via s-video to s-video on the projector. I would like to use the receiver component to s-video on the projector because it limits out going signals, but whatever hook up will get me the best quality. I am new and I do appreciate the help.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Many years ago I tried a composite to s-video adapter and the result was pretty bad. Not saying your experience would be bad, but I'd go straight from the dvd player to the projector.

So your projector doesn't have component in and your receiver doesn't have s-video out. That's odd.

Stuka1939

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
Yup. What about component(receiver) to S-video(prejector). Will the quality be good or shall I just go S-video(dvd) to S-video(projector).

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't think using a cable to convert inputs would be a good idea, but I haven't tried it either. I'm thinking s-video on both ends would be better.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Unless I misunderstand the connections anything over S-video is limited to 480i. I can't tell if you have any HD sources, but even the upconverting DVD should provide somewhat of a better image than via S-video or composite. If you are using the S-video out of the DVD player then you've bascially lost all advantages of the upconverting player or even the usually superior progressive signal of a regular DVD player .

I think what you need is a component to VGA converter if you want to run everything through the reveiver. It's been a while since I've looked into such things, but I know they exist and supposedly work pretty well and should be superior to the component/Svideo cable. I'm not sure if your receiver will output your S-video inputs out over the Component, but if it does I'd check the converter option. I'm pretty sure there are some decent units for under $100 though some really expensive units are available from Key Digital as well. There are even Component to VGA cables available for $15 off of Amazon which might work, but I'm not sure what signal resolution this gives.

Something like this? You may want to ask or search over on avsforum since they have a lot of projector people there.

VGA to Component adaptor InFocus Projector VGA to Component adaptor Accessory For Projector

Stuka1939

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
I think you are right on that. Running component to vga(which the projector does have) is better. I think that vga can translate hd signal better than s-video. I'll inquire with that forum you suggested. Thanks again for the help. I am such a novice at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks