Better power cables on mid-level receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Petty, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

will upgrading the power cord on a mid-level unit (something like the onkyo 600 or the hk 320) give any type of noticeable difference in volume or clarity? was just thinkin bout this, but dont wanna waste my time if it wont really help anything.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well I can't think of a reason why you'd get an increase in volume. The capacitors in the unit provide the reserve for those moments. Clarity? This means what?

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

There is a long thread about Audiophile Power Cords that shows that opinions are split on this. While some of the members got .. passionate about the subject, I thought there was a lot of good debait in this thread.
    Admitting I have never tried it, the engineer in me cannot understand how a after-market cord can make a difference (unless the original cord was sub-standard).

4. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Lee,

Does you mid-level receiver have an IEC connection to accept aftermarket cords ? Very few mid-level, and some higher level consumer receivers even, come equiped with an IEC connection.

If it does, I would not spend more than $75 (used), at most, on an aftermarket PC for a mid-fi unit.

Some benefit, yeah probably. Maybe not. Miniscule at best, maybe not even audible. Volume and Clarity? Perhaps you mean dynamics, transient response, bass tightness, punch, and better extension in the HF.. better decay, or something along those lines. Volume would be nada IMO.

CDP, Pre, external DAC..... yeah, spend it there for noticable and audible improvements.

Save your money on this receiver PC upgrade.

But if you want to try...... go for it. Return policy only, or get a dealer loaner.

Good Luck,

BOK

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well I'd posted this before, it bears rereading and consideration...

6. Brian OK

Chu,

Lee does not own a Bryston.

Are you talking to yourself, are are you addressing Lee's actual question.

Autopilot with a slant helps neither the poster or .... anybody, IMO.

Lee, best to refer back to HTT ..........responses

BOK

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

yes, there's a good cadre of believers over there and for that matter over at the asylum where John Risch can 'assist' him. i've a more difficult time getting through to actual engineers over at onkyo or hk. bryston was kind enough to forward my request past the usual pr person who reads off a script. perhaps you've got some hard data you'd care to share Bri or an empirical analsyis as how an 'upgraded cord' will improve volume (i read that as the amp will now somehow become more powerful) or clarity (people will now be speaking more clearly during movies?).

now this is a response from signal cable...enjoy the well thought out compelling arguments for such a cable

8. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

well my point in asking was basically because i wanted to know if a "good" cord would be better for the receiver than the lampwire that comes with them in the box. the reason i mentioned volume and clarity, was that if the in box cable was small, maybe a larger, better cord would allow more current to pass through, supplying the amps with more power, therefore giving the system the ability to go louder, or not strain the amps, giving less distortion. i dont have a great knowledge of receivers and such, my main hobby is in computers, where upgrading from a 250w to 300w powersupply can make a night and day difference sometimes. just wanted to know if this may be the case with HT gear.
    thanx for the responses

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

those are reasonable questions Lee. the use of a thicker power cord will not lower the distortion, nor make it go louder, nor reduce any 'strain' on the amps, nor allow more current to pass. your amp has capacitors that act as a reservoir for providing the juice you need when a transient such as an explosion, a particularly loud note from an instrument, etc. comes along. let's say for arguments sake that your amp is capable of providing 100 watts/channel, rms, both channels driven, 8 ohm output,

10. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

if you do a search for "power cord" on this web site, you will find many previous posts...especially one with someting like 40+ pages of replies.

The arguments get a little testy with uncalled for sarcasm and condescending comments. However, the information, once you sift through the redderick, maybe useful to you.

11. Brian OK

Chu,

What was the point of your post regarding signal ? You totally lost me there. Where you trying to stress a point, or was this Frank guy on ludes ? Can't quite figure out your response. It was nonsensical.... from start to finish.
    Was it a quote from signal....a la this Frank fellow ?

Jon Risch was never mentioned prior to your bringing up his name. Are you projecting here? Assuming I am in his inner circle, perhaps ? (Hardly) Or that HTT is part of the conspiracy ?

I would like to see you link, or at least list, your complete equipment list(including all cabling) here at HTF so that all the members can get a better understanding of your understanding of cables and components, and how you have addressed synergy. I'm sure we would all like to see what you listen to, and what monitor you view DVD's on.... etc. Please, if you don't mind, let us know.

I hope that is not a problem for you to list your gear. If it is, we understand. No further empirical data required.

Looking forward to your gear listing.

BOK

12. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    A good cord with shielding may help with interference that can be picked up or with better connectors make a better electrical connection. As far as current flow goes with regard to a power amp, 14 ga. is required as far as I understand to pass 15 amps of current. Most receivers without high current amps probably don't even need that thick of a gauge. Before I would try that I would do things like change the receptacle to something better than the $0.33 builders grade one that you likely have. A good grade Leviton is $2.97 at Home Depot and electrical supply houses have stuff like Pass & Seymour hospital grade ones for $6-7. Some Home Depot's will also carry Eagle plugs which are made reasonably well with nylon housing and are $7-8 (if you really want to go nuts you can buy a Hubbell for about $12-13). I would certainly start on the reasonable side as far as cost is concerned. I am not against upgrading power cords at all, virtually everything in my main system has upgraded power cords. I did not bother with the power cord in the receiver in the bedroom system, although I have upgraded the outlets and done other tweaks. I just think that certain things there is a limit as to what can be done and it may be more cost effective to do other things. The room is the most overlooked factor - perhaps room treatments, either natural decoration, home made or bought? Reducing those standing waves in the room will do wonders for the quality of the system sound.

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Frank was the person who replied from SignalCable, one of the many 'companies' that I've posed questions to. Harmonic never replied to technical questions but they did reply when it came to where to buy them. I've also posed questions to companies, not related to audio, concerning such matters as turbocharger performance and applicability and have received detailed though out replies that don't rely on hope. Was he on some sort substance or was it hard to figure out? Nonsensical? Yes, I rather thought he was nonsensical. We both seem to agree that his response "That's what I heard..." provided no information whatsoever. It didn't satisfy me, nor should such a response ever satisfy any person. I mentioned two other websites, and there are plenty out there, in case the poster wanted to seek out additional responses. Whether one's out for knowledge or simply to be around people who espouse a belief system or seek a place where anything is possible and nothing should ever be dismissed, there's a place out there. HTT, audioasylum, audioreview, avs, there's a slew of them. Risch was mentioned because of his close association with the asylum. So what? You're in his circle, outside of his circle, drawing the circle...who cares? Don't take it so personal Bri, sheesh! Risch can be the topic for another thread or if you wish you can PM me and we can discuss matters between us. I'll be happy to illustrate other areas where he's taken science and stretched it.
    While Phil makes some points regarding more robust receptacles, not even they will make a postive impact upon the receiver's power or distortion. I also don't know of any mid-fi receiver requiring 15 or even 10 amp contiuous draw. Yes one can make a more secure connection using heavier gauge metals but that doesn't translate into lower distortion. While a shielded power cord would serve as barrier to RFI, it would only do so if RFI were an issue AND if RFI didn't also come in through the rest of the wiring AND if your system can't cope with moderate amounts. I've no issue with people wanting a heavier cord, more secure receptacles because it makes them feel better. But don't expect these items to start working magic upon your system. Phil's other points in addressing room issues is enormously valid and also enormously overlooked.
    My equipment is totally irrelevant. I've a rather decent understanding of cables and have brought it out before. I rather like to rely upon critical thinking and if I've made factual errors and can be shown where they are, I'll admit to them, learn from them, and move on. Perhaps you've some empirical data that you've come across that will illustrate how power, clarity, and distortion can be improved upon with an aftermarket cord?