Better place than Dell to buy pre-built computers?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Marty Christion, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a good place online where I can pick the parts I want in a computer, and they put it together and ship it to me. Are there stores like this? I don't want a Dell or Compaq pre-built one, and I'll install all the software myself. I just don't have the time to put the pieces together like I used to.

Any recommendations?

2. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

heh what is the system gonna be used for first off?

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Here's one. I have a friend who has purchased several computers through this site and been very pleased. I'm sure there are others as well.

http://www.compucheap.com/

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

The only custom house i've ever used that is worth a damn is monarch.

But at dell's prices, unless you have VERY specific hardware needs, you will save money with dell.

-V

5. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

http://www.buyabs.com/

ABS is a well known and award winning company worth your business. You'll get brand name parts, not proprietary ones. Dell can make em a little cheaper for a full package, but the performance of a Dell to similar equiped custom built machines is always worse.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Like which?

7. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Motherboards, PSU's, Case, Cooling setup.

8. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I have to agree wtih this. If you are looking for a basic system or low end server and aren't too concerned about upgradability, Dell is a good choice. If you keep an eye on fatwallet.com you can find some pretty good deals for dells.

mwave.com, which is a pretty reputable online computer store has prebuilt and barebones systems. They have good prices for components, so I imagine their PCs are competitively priced. I've bought a lot from them over the years and have been very satisfied.

9. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I just bought one thru www.americancomputech.com ....can select what you want....decent prices. I didn't need everything so I just bought what I needede.

10. Chris Britton

Chris Britton Auditioning

I purchased a computer from Cyberpower for my wife and have had no issues with it or them. Was able to choose each an every component individually. For what I wanted, a tricked out AMD 3000+ with 1 GB ram and SerialATA, their price came in slightly lower than Monarch. They are at:

h t t p://w w w .cyberpowersystem.com/

I would have gone with Monarch (since they are local to me) if they had accepted orders over the web or by phone for local pickup. However they seemed tough to deal with and I didn't want the hassle of fighting traffic to get across the Metro Atlanta area twice to order and pick it up. If you are having it shipped it may not be an issue for you.

Just be sure not to go with Michael's Computers. If you want to know why just take a look at:

h t t p:/ / w w w .tomshardware.com/column/20040317/index.html

Sorry I cannot hyperlink the above. Despite being a memeber for almost five years, I don't post much and haven't achieved the requisite 15 posts to be able to do that [​IMG]

11. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Or better yet, HTF Forum partner GOTAPEX.com

-V

12. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

I'll second the recommendation for ABS. They'll let you do nearly any customizing you'd like, and I've found their customer service to be outstanding. I found that it was nice to get the case, OS and original hard drive from them and add in my own extra optical drives/hard disks as needed.

I had a problem that their phone tech diagnosed as a bad mobo, and they sent me both a mobo and a replacement CPU chip (2.8 GHZ) as they figured if the mobo went bad, there was a good possibility that the CPU could be damaged as well. After I got the parts in a couple days (they're in CA, I'm in VA), I put them in and all was well. That same night, I got a call from a local repair tech that said ABS contacted them to replace my parts as 1yr onsite came with my PC purchase. I originally declined as I'd already completed the swap out, but he mentioned that it should show that the authorized tech did the repair. Plus, he needed the service call. Anyway, he came over and quickly verified everything, including adding the thermal compound for my CPU as it was my first CPU install.

I was very happy with ABS, and will always check them out for my desktop needs. They've just begun with notebooks, and although they may not have deeply discounted value systems, I would check them out as a place to start. Good luck.