What's new

Better Picture Quality - HDMI or Component (1 Viewer)

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
Which cables should provide the better picture quality on my Sony KDF-E42A10, HDMI or Component?

Thanks,
Louisp

Sony 42" HDTV KDF-E42A10
Directv H20 High Definition Receiver
Harmon Kardon AVR 635
Denon DVD 2200
Dual Sony Hi-Fi VHS VCR SLV-N750's
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - A50, A37c, A1200, A20, A10
Monster Home Theatre Reference HTS 3600 MKII PowerCenter
Harmon Kardon TC-30 Activity Based Remote Control
Monster Cabling

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Louis

When I got my Toshiba 65 H84 CRT-RPTV 2 years ago, I tried out an HDMI cable. HDMI cables were more expensive then than they are now. I decided to use component and if I could see any difference with the component cables I would switch back to the HDMI. Still using the component cables.

HDMI cables can be had pretty cheaply now, (the name of the place that sells cables very reasonably escapes me right now, however, someone else can probably come up with the name).

I think that if I was planning on migrating to HD DVD I would get an inexpensive HDMI cable.

DougR

Second Unit
If you were to do a Search on other Forums, you would probably see more problems with users using the HDMI connections than Component.
Me...I'll just stick with Component !

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Try both. For me, HDMI gave a small improvement in video quality over component. It heavily depends on the source and the display and how HDMI is implemented in each.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with HDMI. Just how different manufacturers implement it. Some do it correctly. Some don't.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I've never been able to detect a difference between the HDMI and component connections on my JVC LCoS from either of my DVD players or my HD-DVR. I now run component video along with the digital audio from all sources through my a/v receiver. I get the switching convenience without any discernable loss in video quality.

Regards,

Joe

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Also remember that "Component Video" is an umbrella term that is used usually to define color-opponent space in which luma and chroma are defined, rather than RGB. Note that Analog Component video (YPbPr) is what most people mean when they say "component video" but componenet video also exists digitally, and can be transmitted by HDMI (YCbCr), in addition to RGB. DVI is spec'd for RGB only, however some devices also can send component via DVI, although it is not standard.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Just make sure BOTH inputs are calibrated properly when do an A/B comparison.

Unsurprisingly, on my Sony CRT RPTV, component is a bit better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks