What's new

Better picture quality: CRT or DLP? (1 Viewer)

Ainsley Bowden

Auditioning
I've been researching TVs lately and I'm really liking the Samsung Tantus 50" DLP TV. I've heard only good things about them.
However, a gentlemen "in the know" told me that CRT still has a better picture quality. Most of the other people I have spoken to have said DLP is better.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Ainsley Bowden

Auditioning
Question though. Doesn't CRT still produce "darker" images.

In addition, the viewing angle is horrible and the TVs are gigantic.

Why would I choose CRT over DLP besides lower cost?

CRT gives a better picture, between deeper blacks and deeper/more vibrant colors. I have the 507 next to the pioneer elite 530 (recently price dropped to 3500, all theirs dropped $1000), and the elite does look better all around for straight on viewing. Yet, if off angle in height a bit and a decent amount in left/right, the quality benefits go away. The DLPs do well against all but the top rear projections (the elites, Mitsu diamonds), and as a result sell very well because they are lighter, not as deep, wider angle of view, etc . . . yet if i were to go based on just picture, I'd take the Elite every day.

RayJK

Stunt Coordinator
In addition, the viewing angle is horrible and the TVs are gigantic.
Of course you forgot about a CRT front projection system which is still the king of display systems. The viewing angle is just fine, no rainbow effects and the picture is just huge. Those can't be bad things :)

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Let's look at this realistically.

A digital TV (LCD, plasma or DLP) will have MUCH better corner to corner focus. In fact, it should be perfect from corner to corner. A CRT RPTV will have softer focus at the edges and corners. CRT will do black better but many find the black level from DLP televisions perfectly acceptable. If it were my money I'd probably buy the DLP based TV (this from a CRT FPTV owner) because it will require less maintenance and there is no chance of burn-in. Regards.

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
Bill, I don't thnik we're comparing crt based RPTV's to DLP, it's CRT's to DLP. Hands down it's CRTs. Maybe someday DLP,plasma,whatever may come close, but I doubt they will ever beat CRTs. Just take a look at the major TV studios. They might have plasmas on the set but in the control rooms it's always CRT, and usually Sony. I had the Sony PVM25 otherwise known as Profeel. I have yet to see a better piture anywhere. Pricey as hell($3000) but worth every penny for it's quality. Too bad it died after 15 years. Try getting that kind of service out of a projector. I do have an RPTV today but I still miss my Profeel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks