Better Packaging for Simpson DVD's Needed...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DeathStar1, Sep 13, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

That should be NEEDED!

As soon as I opened my season 3 set, TWO of the discs flipped out. The Packaging on these discs barley holding them down, andeasilly breakable, where as the packaging on the first season was toooo tough to remove the discs, in so that I thought I would break them in half.

Surley there can be a better solution?

2. Steve Lockwood

Steve Lockwood Stunt Coordinator

I didn't have any problems with my set.

3. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

If this is the only set you've had problems with, consider yourself lucky. I buy a TON of DVDs and the percentage of loose discs is just insane. Overall, Fox sets like 24, Buffy, Angel, NYPD Blue, etc... are the worst offenders. I've never had a problem with the Futurama/King of the Hill/Family Guy type packaging.

If I go a week without a loose disc, it's nearly a miracle.

4. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I honestly wish Fox would just switch over to the thinpaks (packaging used for "Futurama", etc.) for all of their TV product. I get the sense that they are reluctant to switch packaging styles in series that have already been started with the foldout packaging. And indeed some would probably complain about the change in appearance. However, I say bring it on. Heck, I'd probably even pay a reasonable fee to get revised thinpak packaging for my existing Fox foldout sets.

In addition, one of the big problems with defective discs in box sets is that it's rare that I can watch all 6-7 disks within the time limits for returns set up by most mail-order vendors. I have discovered a number of problems several months after purchasing a set. Therefore, I think Fox (and the rest of the studios) should set up some kind of easy exchange program so we can get replacements for the occasional disk that doesn't play. I'd like to be able to go to a web site, choose the set & disk (i.e. disk 3 of Buffy Season 3), and have it generate a coded RMA label (doesn't have to be prepaid) that we would then use to send the bad disk in. They'd check the disk against the RMA and then send out a replacement. It should be something simple & automatic like that. IMO, this would be a GREAT customer service initiative with no risk to the studio.

5. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> I honestly wish Fox would just switch over to the thinpaks (packaging used for "Futurama", etc.) for all of their TV product.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

7. Jim*F

Jim*F Stunt Coordinator

While I love the thin cases, I'd guess that Fox will continue The Simpsons in the fold-out packaging (since they started that way). I'll be waiting for my collector's fold-out edition of last season, Season 14, in 2014!!

8. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

The thin packs are definitely better, but because the series has had 3 seasons issued in the current manner, don't expect it to change for the future - the packaging is generally meant to be uniform for appearance.