Better off with Rear ported or Front ported ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bolivar G, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

I have a very small Room for my HT. Which ever speakers I decide to go with, I Will only have about 10" max clearance to back of the wall. And 3-4" to the side walls. Room is longer than wider.
    The Paradigm Studio 60's are front ported and is one the speakers im try to deicde on. The other speakers i'm liking are Rockerts RS750 which are rear ported.
    Which do think I would be better off with??
    Any info much appreciated, thank you [​IMG]

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

If you only have 10" behind them, maybe front-ported is a better idea....

3. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Yea its about 10" 's
    Total is around 25" 's Minus hower deep speakers are = left over. Rockets are 15 " deep , so that leaves 10" clearance. Paradigms are less Deep that rockets I belive.

4. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

6 to 8 inches is all that's required to maintain the airflow needed for proper port tuning. No worries there, although the distance to the side walls could use an increase if possible to help avoid image smearing first reflections. If you can't move them away from the side walls, some acoustic wall treatment will help as will a large degree of toe-in.

5. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Exactly what is acoustic wall treament??I think I will need to look into this. I cant make anymore room, its very small room to begin with.

6. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

At the reflection points on the side walls between you and the tweeter/midrange drivers you could place a couple of the Auralex squares linked below. The reflection points will be the spots where when seated, you could bounce a tennis ball off the side wall and hit the tweeter and midrange driver. Don't worry about the woofers, they won't play into this equation. If you are seated very far from the speakers (more than 8-9 feet or so and outside of having an equilateral triangle formed by you and the speakers) you could use some of these on the ceiling at the reflection points as well. That is of course assuming you have the typical 8 foot flat ceiling. All in all, this will give you much improved imaging and overall sound.
    Auralex Studiofoam Wedgies: http://www.warhogprod.com/index.html...tml&lang=en-us
    BTW You might want to call them and see if they'll sell a smaller quantity. The eggcrate foam they sell for beds will also work in a pinch, but it would be much uglier to look at than this stuff.

7. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Anyone else have any more input or info for me??
    Hoping to get my mains and center within 2 weeks.

8. William_Morr

William_Morr Extra

I agree with Walt, 6" to 8" is plenty of room for rear ports so the Rockets are not disqualified.

9. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I disagree, I think 6" is not enough to avoid boomy bass. 9" minimum. Probably depends on the speakers though.

10. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

You're right Chris, 6" may not be enough to avoid boomy bass with some speakers but that will be the same whether they're rear ported or front ported. Bass tends to be omnidirectional so if speakers are too close to a wall there can be excessive boundry reinforcement of the lowest frequencies. If that proves to be the case one should pull the speakers out from the rear wall until they sound "right". Boliver has a double whammy here (dual boundry reinforcement or corner loading) as the speakers are so close to the side walls, so in this case even 6-8" may not be enough distance from the rear wall with either of these speakers to avoid boomy bass. A successful compromise can be worked out in most rooms, but it does often require much patience and experimentation.

11. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

12. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Taking nothing for granted I should mention that I don't advocate actually whipping a tennis ball around the room. [​IMG] It's just an imagination tool for eyeballing the reflection points. Sean's mirror trick would be very accurate if you have an assistant.

13. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

14. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Bolivar, try this link: http://www.warhogprod.com/en-us/dept_144.html
    It should show 24 studio foam squares for $69 plus shipping. That should be more than plenty to do your room.
    Using a seperate sub and crossing over your mains at 80Hz or higher will help reduce boom from your mains.

15. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

LOL...ok 69 bucks is more reasonable [​IMG]
    I guess I was clicking on the expensive stuff.
    Dont know if I should start a seperate thread or hope ppl continue to look here. But assuming im able to use both with some treatment. Now help me deicide between studio's and rockets! [​IMG] I have heard studio 40's and 60's at the local dealer around here. They sounded good to my untrained ears. I have not heard rockets but im caught up on all the buzz around here on how good they are [​IMG]
    Looking to buy the mains and matching center now, worry about the surrounds laters. Use my exsisting book shelves in the rear.

16. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Have you seen this monster Rocket thread? There are some Rocket/Paradigm studio comparisons in there. I own the Rockets so you can probably guess which way I lean, but if you can stand all the reading you might get a better idea of whether or not they're right for you. Also, there may be someone in your area who can provide an audition if you sign up at www.audioenvy.com

17. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Dam, that thread is long as hell! [​IMG]
    I went on that audioenvy and it said the closest place was san jose and I'm in LA!!!

18. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

19. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit