What's new

Better off to wait for technology to mature? (1 Viewer)

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Folks,

I've been studying, checking, reseaching, and re-checking HT Forums for about a month now. It's an enjoyable and addicting new hobby. You catch the bug, and you are consumed! I have upgraded everything in my modest home theater... except for my TV.

It appears to me that digital / HDTV has just not arrived yet. Am I wrong?

Here's what I've found:

*RPT's are huge, heavy and they need expensive calibration and maintenance to look their best.

*CRT's are heavy and too small to fully display the impact of home theater.

*DLP's are expensive and display analog signals (standard satellite, cable) poorly.

*LCOS is a new, expensive, and unproven technology.

These are just my observations from what I've seen in stores and read about in forums. It seems to me that the dreaded "buyer's remorse" is almost assured if one delves into the TV market right now. Especially with the pace at which technology is improving.

I'm hoping that someone will tell me I'm crazy and wrong, and that way perhaps I can justify clicking on that "Buy Now" button. :D

Michael Silla

Second Unit
I'm hoping that someone will tell me I'm crazy and wrong,
You are.

No display technology is perfect. The only safe assumption can be that this will always be so. Just like with computer technology, something new and fancy is always around the corner.

As far as HDTV is concerned, you certainly have a point. Even though the FALL 2003 will see the largest increase in HD programming by far, it is still "miniscule" compared to what is available on SD. Nielsen still does not track HD viewers, which should tell you something.

I have had my RPTV for a little over a year now. For it's first 9 months I was satisfied to watch just DVD's on my set. After seeing HD on it there is simply no turning back ;). There is a darn good reason you see others clamouring for HD-DVD.

Michael.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Especially with the pace at which technology is improving.
The problem is NOT the competiting technology. It's the lack of HD source material. It is taking acts of Congress to get the broadcast industry to move. You vote with your purchase.

Look, in 1996 I bought a 50" standard-video RPTV for $2500. Right now, there are a slew of HDTV's for around that price, many with larger display sizes. You can go with a RPTV style for no-more investment than a traditional big-screen television. Yes, you have to suffer through the 'growing pains' of the TV/Broadcast industry (these are not modern, forward thinking organizations). But things are changing.

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input fellas. Bob, you obviously know your stuff. No doubt there. The fact that the signal providers have their proverbial heads in the sand is reason enough for me to wait. I do so reluctantly, however.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
fact that the signal providers have their proverbial heads in the sand is reason enough for me to wait.
Remember: asking the television stations to change formats is like asking a department store to change-out all the racks in the store. They WONT get any more profit and may actually make LESS money after the upgrade. A negative return-on-investment is considered a very bad thing to most business men.

Try this: go to www.antennaweb.org and try picking an antenna. This will tell you how much over-the-air HDTV you could get with an antenna, and what size antenna you need. (You may discover channels you did not know exist).

The next step: call your CATV company to see if they offer a HDTV service. The providers in my town dont charge any extra money over their digital service for the HD decoder box.

Finally, check into both Direct and Dish Network for a sat solution.

Only by doing this research will you know what the cost is to get HD signals.

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Bob, Thank you for the information and web link. I have heard about you on other HT forum and I respect your opinion. I primarily watch news channels and nature / science programs on TV. I have a standard DirecTV setup with Direcway high speed (what a joke) internet. I'll check out the site you recommended.
Thanks again, Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks