What's new

Better Off Dead Not a SE!? (1 Viewer)

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Please tell me I'm wrong
I think I read that BOD was coming to DVD with NO features other than the trailer.:thumbsdown:
SAY IT ISN'T SO PLEASE:frowning:

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I'll be happy if it just comes out. I want the movie on DVD. Sure, the extras would be great but I'll settle for the movie by itself.

DVD...I want my BOD DVD....

Cary T

Screenwriter
Not even a commentary? I almost refuse to buy any DVD's without commentaries. Maybe BOD will be an exception.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
That's usually my motto too unless the film is special or a commentary will never be done (unbreakable). I dunno bout this one though.

I do love BOD but...

I'll make a decision somehow

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I know that everybody wants their favorite movie to come out on DVD as an SE, but it's just not possible. There are thousands of titles yet to be released on DVD and there is just no way the studios can justify the expense involved in doing an SE for a lot of these films.

Considering that BOD has been out of print for years, even on VHS, I'd say it's pretty great we're getting it on DVD at all. It will likely have a low price, so I really don't see what there is to complain about.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
It will likely have a low price, so I really don't see what there is to complain about.
No it won't. Retail is $24.95--a typical, overpriced Paramount bare-bones release.
I am one of the biggest BoD fans you will ever meet. I am thrilled that BoD is finally coming out on DVD, but I am also very disappointed by the lack of extra features. Maybe the DVD will sell really well (despite Paramount's best efforts to prevent that by setting retail $10.00 too high) and they will release an SE in 2005. :rolleyes

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
As much as I'd love to see this as a SE, I don't think it will happen.

Look what we had to go through to get Say Anything.

I say that if you are a true Better Off Dead fan..get this.

It took years...over 10,to get a VHS copy at a sell-thru price.

I'm not going to hold my breath on a SE.

Calvin

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I love Better Off Dead... and I could care less if it's a special edition. I'll just be happy to get rid of my $6 VHS tape and get a nice DVD with a new anamorphic widescreen transfer.
If you're complaining that Better Off Dead... has no real special features, then you're not a true fan of the movie. Some of us (myself included) have been waiting for this movie to hit DVD for a while now, and if it wasn't for that Paramount poll, it might not even be seeing the light of day on DVD in July.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I think any movie you truly care about is worth $20 (realistic street price...less the first week) for a bare bones OAR release.

I guess in the days of laserdisc you guys would all be VHS pan-and-scan collectors. Because there sure weren't laserdisc collectors complaining about b-picture back catalog releases being released in a non-SE OAR at an average price.

I can't believe how spoiled we are getting.

ps I am buying it. I enjoy this film and will watch it multiple times.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'll be there for this title within a week of it's release...good film. I can't believe ANYONE would say "no commentary track = no sale", but oh, well. :)

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
I would soooo love ANY extra features on this disc. But, I have to agree. I'll be there release day, regardless. THIS is the one I'VE been waiting for.

What we should REALLY be praying for is a top-notch transfer. We made this movie the most requested title in Martin Blythe's poll. Let's hope they tailored the film's presentation to our standards.

Fingers crossed,

Chris

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
It is clear that I am at odds with a lot of the people here. I am ecstatic that this is coming out AT ALL. I personally dislike extras and rarely if ever view them. I love the Superbit dvds (although they should have just released them with the best possible picture/sound in the first place, but I will gladly give up extras so that will be accomplished). I could not possibly care less that this will not be a SE as long as the picture and sound are good. Can't wait to see this one - my VHS tape is pretty much worn out.

"He's skiing on one ski - and somethings following him"

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Eh, I'll probably just hang on to my Betamax copy. I guess I'm not a "true fan". It's a somewhat funny movie with a few great lines ("I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS... I'm no dummy"), but without any special features to sweeten the deal, not worth the price. The only bare-bones discs I buy are "must-haves", and BOD just doesn't qualify.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I look at movies in 3 ways.

#1- Some movies are so good, you want to own them at all costs.

#2 - Some movies are pretty good and a nice DVD of extra features will sway you to buy it.

#3- Some movies are awful and no amount of special features will make the DVD worth owning.

Better Off Dead is a #1 movie to me! Absolutely a must-buy.

I have the pan & scan laserdisc, so owning this on a widescreen DVD is a dream come true.

I'd love special features, but for a movie like this (with tons of replay value) special features aren't necessary to entice me to buy it.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I can't believe ANYONE would say "no commentary track = no sale"
It's truly amazing, and it's an attitude that seems to be more and more prevalent on this forum lately. I thought people bought movies because they like the film itself. Extras are just that... extra.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
The only reasons for me to BUY a movie (as opposed to renting) are:

1) It's something I will watch at least 3 times

2) It's got a lot of extra content (that I might not have time to watch during a rental, or that might be of interest to friends/family)

I don't feel this strange urge to OWN every half-decent movie on earth like so many other DVD fanatics seem to. And besides, I like to reward companies who go the extra mile to produce an SE. Buying barebones discs tells companies "I love those barebones discs! Keep 'em coming!".

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Buying barebones discs tells companies "I love those barebones discs! Keep 'em coming!"
IMO, buying barbones discs tells studios that we want their back catalog material released on DVD. Better Off Dead is a very funny movie, and I plan to buy it, but if studios only put out Special Editions, there are way too many movies that will never make it to DVD.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I'm sorry that I'm at odds with most people on this. I own very few bare-bones discs. When I first started getting dvds I didn't have the intention of replacing ALL my vhs tapes as soon as I could. I started getting dvds because they off so much that further enhances the enjoyment of the film, in most cases.

back to the subject. I can say that I LOVE this movie. Although by some standards I may not be a true fan. There are few movie that I've seem more than BOD. Everytime I watch it, I laugh til I cry. I'll hold on to my vhs copy for right now i guess.

Also:

Look what we had to go through to get Say Anything
what was meant by this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks