Better monitors for the price than PSB Alpha A/V $150/pr?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael St. Clair, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Michael St. Clair

I need some new, budget monitors for the living room. Right now you can get PSB Alpha A/V for about $150 a pair (plus shipping). Retail is $250. I know they can be tweaked with caulk and weatherstripping for even better sound.

Is there a better deal in the $150-$200 (street) price range?

And yes, I know speakers are subjective. I just want to know what else I should be checking out.

2. Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis Stunt Coordinator

3. Ashok

Ashok Agent

Paradigm Atoms and Titans can be had for sub-$200 as well. Definitely worth checking out.

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Polk Audio RT25i can be had for $200.00/pair. This is one of Stereophile's Budget Components of the Year, for what it's worth.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I slight step up would be PSB Image 1B or 2B's. Might be a bit pricier than you're looking for though.

6. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Axiom has some very strong stuff in those price ranges.
    Titanium tweeters, aluminum woofers and simple crossovers with minimal loss of detail. An accurate type of sound. Good transparency for the price too.
    Check out the M1TiSE or M2TiSE.
    http://www.axiomaudio.com/

7. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Michael,
    these are a great value speaker.I have 2 pairs and It never ceases to amaze me how good they sound for so little money ( my main set up is Martin Logan CLS IIz's [​IMG] ) I think that the Alpha A/V's are one of the great bargins in audio!
    Miles