Better Fronts Make Difference?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by jacky_L, Mar 13, 2006.

1. jacky_L

jacky_L Auditioning

here is my setup

yamaha 7.1 700 watt receiver
    yamaha floor standing fronts & rears Yamaha Dual 3-1/8" 2-Way Floorstanding Speakers NS-125F (120 watt max)
    yamaha center speaker

svs 12' cylinder sub

everything is loud and clear,but i dont seem to be getting the left right front sound i want to have... .. it just dont jump out at me....

i used the star wars dvd thx sound test and a spl meter to get all speakers hitting the same spl i have the 2 fronts adjusted 15% angeled inwards..it all seems to be setup right...

my question is... will a very nice pair of fronts make a difference? will a better set make it jump out...

id like to try to get a better set from bestbuy or circuitcity so if it didnt work for me i can return them hassle free? anyone have suggestions of what might be good from either of those stores???

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I would go with getting the AVIA disc first and use its setup for balancing your speakers to see if that makes a difference. You already have an SPL meter and before putting out the money for new speakers that might resolve your problem for you. If not then you have the disc to use with your new speakers.

BTW, are using the Yamaha in a 5.1 setup? The reason that I ask is that you could be diverting some of the power away from your mains if you have it set up for 7.1. Also, did you try the speaker sweep that comes with Yamaha with your SPL meter? Do you have all of your speakers set to small?

Parker

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Make sure all your speakers are set to small and that your system is properly calibrated w/ Radioshack SPL meter and Avia (or the like). If you do all that, and you still don't like the sound, welcome to upgraditis!! =)

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Speakers make the single largest difference in your system. I would say yes, better fronts will make a difference. Time to start auditioning [​IMG]

5. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I'll follow John's lead... Get the best speakers you can reasonably afford.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I did't mean to imply that calibration wasn't a factor. Calibration is essential as well, but if it is the actual performance of the speakers that you are not happy with, no amount of calibration can fix that.

7. Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like you've done all your homework for getting/calibrating the correct levels for your mains but they're still lacking. Other than the previous suggestions of making sure you're running your receiver with all the speakers with the "small" setting, I think you're about at your speakers limitations.

With a nice SVS that you have, you should be able to pick up a nice pair of bookshelf speakers and a matching center channel speaker without killing your budget that will give you great front sound stage performance. I personally prefer towers, but your budget may dicate what you would be able to upgrade to and if your low end it solid, which I'm assuming it is w/the SVS, bookshelfs allow for a good solution at a relatively inexpensive price.

While there are a couple of options from these two stores that you can check out, I would suggest and internet direct company that allows you a 30-45 day money back guarantee on your purchase. There's quite a few companies that offer this and their price for performance for speaker offerings are excellent. If you did decide on this route and found you weren't pleased with the speakers, you could return for minimal shipping costs (typically $15-$30), but chances are you'll be quite pleased in comparision to the NS-125Fs.

Can you let us know what you're looking at from a budget standpoint? This would help in providing suggestions/options for you... -TD

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Better fronts can make all the difference. Look at all the work Jennifer Love Hewitt got.

Anyway...

Those Yamahas, with their 3.15" mids-as-woofers, are likely seriously outclassed by the SVS. Even when set to "small", they probably can't deliver anywhere near the dynamics (perhaps the "jump" you're looking for?)the sub is capable of. I haven't heard them, just going by the physics of it. If you upgrade, don't just get a new L/R, do the whole front three. Better to get three matched speakers for a certain budget than to blow it on two and wind up with a great L/R and a mismatched center.

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Where have you placed your speakers with respect to the room boundaries?

10. Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue Stunt Coordinator

You got that right...:p) -TD

11. jacky_L

jacky_L Auditioning

the money isnt a issue,but i dont want to pay more for better brand name,when a lesser brand name will sound just as good if not better.... i took 2 months researching subs on here and on other websites,before determining svs was the route to go for me.....but i jumped the gun on the other 5 speakers....my center and rears seem fine...... so what type of front towers would be good for around $500 a pair or less.....

ps i cant seem to find the setting for "small" on my yamaha receiver... i have a 7.1 HTR-5860 i looked through the manual 2 times but i didnt see it anywhere...any of you have this receiver and can tell me how to set it real easy?

12. jacky_L

jacky_L Auditioning

nevermind on the small setting question...i went to yamaha's website and searched the online pdf manual,and found it within 1 minute... much easier..... ill check it out tomorrow to see if the small setting suites me any better,my speakers was set on large.....but back to the better fronts?? what towers can i get for around $500 or so a pair????

13. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

what about bookshelf speakers on stands? You could get a better speaker for the same amount of money. There are tons of options, my favorite (as well as many others around here) are Ascend Acoustics and Onix Rockets. They will both do well for the money.

14. jacky_L

jacky_L Auditioning

i like the look of a nice tower speaker,rather than a speaker on a stand.... are any of the klipsch towers decent?

15. Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri Stunt Coordinator

Yes, when running the speaker as LARGE you were sending them the full bass signal, which was too much for their small drivers. And yes, the small drivers are a mis-match for the SVS sub, so there was a performance gap there.

If you get new left/right speakers, you'll also want to make sure you have a matching center channel speaker.

I agree about bookshelf speakers. You may want to look at either getting a pair of good bookshelf speakers with that money, plus a matching center - or downgrade a bit and spend your budget on a good set of mains plus a center.

Look at the SBS-01 5.0 setup from SVS. You may be able to get a slight discount from SVS since you already have one of their subs. $600 will get you all 5 speakers for all around I believe, without a discount.

Ascend makes great, accurate speakers as well, although 2 mains and a center will be more than $500. I am looking at upgrading tp 2 Energy C-3s and a C-C1. They are very highly rated and the Soundstage review puts the C-3s into very close competition with the older Ascend 170s, when the C-3s cost $500 a pair (now they can be found for half that). $450 for 2 C-3s and the C-C1 center, or $700 for 5.0 to have matching speakers all around.

What you could do is get two speakers and a center for up front, and move your Yamaha towers to the rear for 7.1 for the time being - assuming your receiver is 7.1-capable.

16. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal

I second the Ascend Acoustics nomination. I have the 340's for LCR and 170's for surrounds. I couldn't be happier. [​IMG]

17. jacky_L

jacky_L Auditioning

well,i did a little research,and bought a set of JBL Northbridge E-80's and i could not believe the difference it made.... like night and day..... they retail at $250 ea at bestbuy,i got a pair for $320 online from electronics-expo .com .... i could not be happier.....

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Congrats on the new speakers. I've never been a big fan of Yamaha speakers, though they have some nice models.

19. Brian Sheldon

Brian Sheldon Auditioning

congrats on your purchase--sounds like you are happy. Do you notice a huge difference between the towers and the center? I have had several different speakers in my system and I never really like it until the fronts all matched properly. You may find that you system will sound even better with the northridge center. Better yet matching bookshelf surrounds. Better still, 2 pair of matchng bookshelf surrounds to complete the 7.1 system. You can probably sell the whole set of yamaha's on ebay or audiogon and a pretty decent amount for them. Good luck with your system and enjoy it.