What's new

Better DVD Player: Xbox or PS2? (1 Viewer)

Hi,
Can someone provide me with some real specs and insight on which of these machines is better for DVD Movie playback?
I'll be making my purchase based on this so any good info will be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
Antoine

Mark Yatchak

Agent
I really don't think you will notice a difference at all. Neither machine offers progressive scan playback. Keep in mind that these are first and foremost a game machine. I would highly recommend your decision be based on the type of games you enjoy playing. I assume your budget may be somewhat limited since you want a machine to play DVD & games. So, with this in mind, research which machine will offer more to you as a gamer. Hope this helps.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Neither company wants you buying it as a DVD player, that's why - if you're only buying/renting games rarely, you're not worth pursuing at the moment...
I reckon that come the end of the week, once the XBox is in the wild for real, there'll be plenty of people on the HTF with in-depth comparision reviews.. Sorry I couldn't help you right now though.
------------------
Nothing In Particular
[Edited last by BrianB on November 13, 2001 at 07:43 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
X-Box probably won't have the lip-synch issues the PS2 had with some games, but considering the DVD features on an X-Box totals to $330, the same price for a PS2 fixes the lip-synch issues.
PS2 gives it to you out of the box. XB makes you buy it.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Now that I think of it, I yet to read any kind of review about the DVD player part of it. Guess everyone was so taken by the games they forgot. :)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
The PS2 sucks as a DVD player. I own a mid-level Panasonic and entry-level Pioneer dedicated DVD players and they both look much better than the PS2. I've even been bored enough to run them into my television at the same time to compare. The PS2 has the worst DVD image quality I've ever seen. Luckily, it plays great games! :)
Therefore, IMO, Microsoft doesn't have to shoot very high to beat the PS2 in this category.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
The PlayStation 2 handles DTS, and to the best of my knowledge, the Xbox does not (might be wrong on this). . .
-mwb-
------------------
Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
May 22, 2002

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
The Xbox can output DTS for DVD movies. I'm pretty sure there is even an option for it(on or off) in the system menu once you have either the Advanced or HD AV Paks hooked up.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807
[Edited last by AndyVX on November 14, 2001 at 07:15 AM]

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the clarification, guys. For some reason I didn't think it did DTS--guess I haven't done enough XBox research yet! :)
Feeling Morgan-ish,
-mwb-
------------------
Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
May 22, 2002

StaceyS

Stunt Coordinator
Plus the new PS2 remote is a hell of a lot nicer than the X-box remote.
Last time I used the PS2 DVD player, the remote simply brought up the OSD and you had to manupliate from there. The XBOX remotes acts just like a DVD player.
The PS2 has a pretty bad YC delay and is over enhanced. It makes DVDs without edge enhancement look like it has edge enhancement. The video outputs on the XBOX look like they come from a signal generator.
Both have the chroma bug.
I would use neither as a DVD player.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't see this feature as more than a bonus for younger kids who will be putting these consoles in their rooms.
The remote for the XB is the same as the remote for an RCA player I have. I don't like the remote much, but it works. I would still rather use the controller if it will save me $30.

StaceyS

Stunt Coordinator
The cost of the DVD kit is not for the remote, it is for the DVD licensee fees. Otherwise the XBOX would retail for $30 more than it does. Since not everyone want's it for DVD playback, they have opted to charge only those who do want it. The money for every DVD kit sold does NOT go to MS.

Shawn O

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think that any DVD player could be worse than my PS2's.Well,there probably is worse but I just can't imagine it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks