Better deal H/K AVR 225 or NAD T742?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by george_k, Sep 15, 2003.

1. george_k

george_k Agent

I bought an AVR 225 for $805 CDN from Futureshop. My local NAD dealer has offered me the T742 which includes the newly revised NAD remote with learning capabilities for $900 total.

The both output roughly the same power 50 watts(NAD) vs 55 watts (H/K), the DAC's seem to be of the same spec and so do the DSP's.

NAD:
    4x digital inputs (2x coax, 2x opti)
    Net Weight 31.24 lbs
    No digital outputs
    5.1 Pre-Outs.
    Unknown Output Current.

H/K:
    6x digital inputs (3x coax, 3 opti)
    2x digital outputs (1 and 1)
    No Preouts
    Ouput Current +/- 28amps
    Net Weights 26.8 lbs

If you had a choice between these 2 amps and only these 2 which would you choose given that it would be a 70/30 split between music/movies.

More in-depth specifications ( I tried including the links directly but I got)

"In an effort to cut down on the number of members that just post a thread to post a URL to another site you are not allowed to post URLs to other sites until you're here somewhat longer."

2. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Can you return the HK to FS?

FS is a major rip off on HKs and other higher end stuff IMO.

Anyway at 70/30 MUSIC movie split I go with the NAD. It has fewer features but I listened to T 752, HK 525 and Rotel 1055 in comparison and I thought the MUSIC order went Rotel (more $) NAD and then HK.

I think the NAD is the best for the price on music you can get.

3. george_k

george_k Agent

Yes the H/K can returned for a full refund. I'm pretty sold on the NAD for a few reasons.

1) Preouts
    2) Learning/Macro remote saves me an extra $80.
    3) Weight difference between the 2, probably equates to a better power stage.
    4) Included 2-year in-store waranty at no charge. (The equivalent at futureshope would be an extra 40-50 bucks)
    5) The fact that the audioshop owner cut $130 off the price just because I asked him "what's the best deal you can do for me".

No. 5 is a big reason why I don't like shopping at big stores.

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The 225 is now on clearance at FS for 699...which is 805 with tax...or did you pay 805 before tax?

In any case, the H/K does have 6 digital inputs, but 1 of each type are on the front which is rather useless for permanent connections.

I use the 225 for a 90/10 music/movie ratio in my bedroom system with Energy Take 5.2s...spectacular...it all depends on your tastes though.

Afaik, the Denon 1804 should be in and around that price range as well so you should give it some consideration.

Let us know where you are in Canada, I could PM you some info about dealers around Toronto from my recent receiver shopping experiences.

5. george_k

george_k Agent

Yeah I paid the $699 + tax. I'm in montreal, canada =)

6. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I would jump on the NAD if I were you. You seem to be getting a great price at $900 TAX in.

I do not think the denon 1800 series (o3/04) compares music wise to either the HK or NAD. I had a 1603 and while it was OK for the price I don't think it is in the same class. A 2803 might be available for close to the saem range (gonna be a it more) and would be more comparable.

That said I knw you only want to compare the 2 so I would vote NAD for sound, the remote and becuse FS basically "sucks" LOL.

7. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Hey, I would get the NAD in a heartbeat. I compared them directly at a local dealer, along with a Denon and an Onkyo, and the NAD was far better, sonically, IMO. Not only was the music more convincing, the DVDs were cleaner sounding as the NAD was able to reproduce things like background conversations cleanly, but the H/K left them muffled and were not clearly heard.

The H/K has a very laid back sound that is almost fuzzy sounding to me. I really like the NAD for all of the reasons you list and more.

8. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I have to go against that and say I like the HK better. I don't know how good NADS quality is but I know HK is very very good. I own the HK AVR-225 and I love mine, I don't think I would get anything else but HK unless I was going with seperates because the HK sounds and feels like such a solid unit.

Also, I like the fact that HK included the digital inputs on the front of the reciever. First, it gives it a nice look to it, and second, if I ever want to just take my computer and hook it up downstairs for some big-screen viewing or perhaps take my cousins PS2 from the basement it is right there for me, no need to go into the back panel and have a hassel.

I think HK did good on these models and I wouldn't change.

As far as power is concerned the HK has more than enough power for me and HK makes some great amps in there systems I think.

9. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

With music weighted at 70% the NAD is a no brainer. Remember that NAD rates its power very conservatively.

10. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

"Remember that NAD rates its power very conservatively."

As does HK.

11. george_k

george_k Agent

I went with the NAD and returned my H/K today. I had to walk about a block and a half with the NAD and I pulled quite a sweat doing it... [​IMG]

Preliminary impressions are very good. It drives my speakers alot harder than my previous amps (Yamaha HTR-5640, H/K AVR 5). I haven't had a chance to calibrate the levels yet and demo a movie but 2-channel sound was impressive.

One bad thing I noticed so far was that although it's got a RCA connector and S-Video connector on the MONITOR OUT outputs at the back, it does not do RCA-to-SVIDEO upconversion. It does still show a picture with the SVIDEO connector there, it's just that it looks fuzzy.

The new HTR-2 remote is very nice, ergonomics are perfect, and best of all it's included free. My guess is that it's some sort of promotion. So when I sell the amp down the road I can include the cheaper stock remote and keep the HTR-2 for myself =)

Next step once the financials agree is a pair of B&W DM603's and a power amp to feed them.