What's new

Better DAC's - HK AVR8000 or Sony 222ES? (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Not sure which forum this should have gone in, but I'll start here.

I'm trying to plan out my cabling for my new system. The receiver will be a H/K AVR8000 and the SACD and CD player will be a Sony 222ES. As I understand it, to use the CD players DACs, I want to connect the two pieces with analog audio cables. To use the receiver's DAC's, I think you'd use a digital (coaxial or optical) cable. Of course, I'll also have the 5.1 connections for the SACD.

So which one of these two choice do you think would be the way to go? Yes, I'll probably A/B them someday, but I'd like to start out with 1 cable since they're expensive, and then make a definite choice later on.

Thanks!
Aaron

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Aaron,

These things are always a matter of personal taste. Some people use digital no matter what. I prefer analog and routinely run my analog outs to a set of Y's linked to both the CD analog in and the L-R of the multi-channel input for maximum flexibility.

While sound through the digital path (I also use H/K...the 510) sounds somewhat smoother it also sounds more rolled off and less extended in detail. Perhaps it's just my ears and listening habits.

There is no way to know what will be best for you without an A/B trial.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
You must A/B. Sorry.
I totally agree with this statement. My older Sony ES CD player (non-SACD) through its analog outs sounded alot duller compared to using the digital decoder within my Pioneer Elite receiver. Seeing both your receiver and player are pretty new, I would assume that you would probably hear very similar results from the decoders in each unit, but slight differences as well.

As a rule of thumb, I would say if you have an older player and newer quality receiver/pro the receiver's decoder will probably provide the bestperformance.

J

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, here is another vote for A/B'ing the analog and digital connections. Of course, when you test the analog connection, make sure you have your receiver's analog bypass mode engaged if you are not using the 5.1-channel inputs (the 5.1-channel inputs should bypass the DSPs by default).

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Aaron, I have the 222ES as well as a DA5ES receiver. I have A/B'd to death and can only give a slight advantage to the DA5ES but that may be because of my sub. Have fun and let us know what you prefer.

Chip E

Screenwriter
I've used analog and digital cables from my SCD-C555ES to my Denon 5803 and for the life of me can't tell a difference. They both sound great. I went analog. Now, next week things might be different when i upgrade my 5803 to B&K seperates - Ref50 pre pro & Ref200.5 amp. We'll see! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks