Better center? Axiom VP-150 or Ascend 340C?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MichaelDDD, Oct 9, 2003.

1. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Me again,

I've managed to narrow my choice of manufacturer's down to their center channel.

I'm looking at either an Ascend or Axiom setup.

Which is better center?

The Axiom VP-150

or

The Ascend 340C

This is probably mostly subjective...but I'm almost down to flipping a coin. [​IMG]

2. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I would through in the Rocket 200 with the above two. Try them all three and send the ones back you don't like then order the rest of the matching set. Shipping a center is not that much money... You can get info on the 200 at av123.com. They all have their plus and minuses and will depend on you ear and your equipment... Thats really the only way to tell. You would probably be happy with any of them to tell you the truth.

3. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I have heard them both...but not in an A/B.

You are right...it is subjective. I have heard a 7.1 Axiom setup....and it sounded great with the demo stuff that was played.

Mike, you can't stop thinking about this stuff can you? [​IMG]

4. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike

No. :b I tried, Curtis, really I did. [​IMG] Tossed and turned for half the night as visions of Axioms and Ascends jumped over the fence in my small, but fertile mind.

I've always been obsessed with sound. Now I'm into high-quality sound. Or at least "high quality sound on a budget." [​IMG]

Curtis, you've got a PM coming your way.

Mike Li, as much as I'd love to be able to buy all three and test them out, that's really not an option right now. Budget being the foremost of several reasons why. [​IMG]

5. David*RT

David*RT Stunt Coordinator

Flipping a coin is good! [​IMG]

I have really no idea how you could choose without auditioning them. Both will sound amazing.

I guess it would come down to total system cost (affordability) and the look of the speaker.

I've always been partial to nice looking speakers. Axioms do offer more color options to fit with the decor. Budget aside (both are generally in the same ballpark cost-wise), I'd choose Axiom for their looks.

Performance-wise, it's a coin flip. Both offer neutral, crystal clear sound (I own the Ascend 170 and Axiom m22, btw).

I guess I'd recommend the speaker that looks nicest to you.....a very important factor as you'll be staring at them day in and day out. Looks are VERY important--just like a girlfriend. [​IMG]