What's new

Better Call Saul: Season Six (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Lalo knows that Mike works for Gus and back at the end of S4 (when Lalo killed the guy in the Travel Wire office), he followed Mike when Mike was trying to find Werner after he escaped in an attempt to see his wife. During Werner's brief time on the run, Lalo learned about the building project when he tricked Werner into revealing some details over the phone before Mike got there.

Thanks. I have problems at time keeping track of the events, especially those involving the SuperLab. I tend to associate it more with Breaking Bad, but it was already complete when we first see it in that series, with BCS using it as a major event. Like you said, the SuperLab and the ancillary details surrounding it really drive a lot of the narrative.

- Walter.

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
Great episode the other day, even if the plot is developing a little slower at this point. I like that Howard is getting some consistent coverage and some wonderful scenes the last couple episodes! And finally getting back to Lalo was great. His presence sends chills down my spine and makes me a little anxious whenever he’s on screen. Though totally in a good way! Lol! Two more episodes until the six-week hiatus!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Great episode the other day, even if the plot is developing a little slower at this point. I like that Howard is getting some consistent coverage and some wonderful scenes the last couple episodes! And finally getting back to Lalo was great. His presence sends chills down my spine and makes me a little anxious whenever he’s on screen. Though totally in a good way! Lol! Two more episodes until the six-week hiatus!
At this point, Howard is the only guy left to root for. His worst crime is being a stuffed shirt and he doesn't deserve whatever Jimmy and Kim have planned for him. I'm still assuming that their plan will backfire and destroy Kim's life but I love that Howard is through taking their shit.

Lalo and Tony Dalton are so charismatic. Lalo is a psycho yet you love watching him because he looks like a guy who is just having fun doing what he does. I hope Dalton is able to get some big roles after this because he's great.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Random thoughts about a show that inspires a lot of random thoughts...

Nice '80s callback with Duran Duran's The Reflex. Mixed feelings about Seehorn playing Kim's mom. Kind of neat, but it would have been more realistic to have another actress play the role. Having typed that though; perhaps we will see Seehorn play an elderly version of Kim's mom in contemporary Nebraska later in the season. (???) This would make the choice of Seehorn for the role make a bit more sense. Maybe. Some nice background on Kim which helps explain the character and makes the final scene of the episode a bit more credible.

Another breadcrumb the series lays is the veterinarian's little black book. Saul's future book of clients?

First time we've seen Howard's wife / ex-wife? I don't recall. Not sure what that relationship currently is, but it sure didn't feel convivial. The latte sequence featured a nice visual shorthand for the incompatibilities between the two characters.

When the show jump cut to the woodcutting scene, my first impression was either an incredibly abrupt commercial break or a screw-up in the broadcast. Unfortunately for one individual, not the case.

Still trying to piece together what the big play is on 'D-Day'. We see what appear to be surreptitious photos of the Judge and Saul together. One of the big questions is how will they recover. Still trying to anticipate how the series will approach the summer break in the broadcast. One to go.

While I don't think there has ever been a bad episode, I enjoyed the fact that the plot had some momentum this week.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Couple more observations...

April 1985 was the date stamp on the license plate. Trying to figure out what kind of car Kim's mom was driving. The rear quarter panel window reminded me of a Pontiac Aztek, but the timing is wrong since that vehicle was on the market in the early 2000s.

Vacuum Repair. A hint at Kim's eventual exit?

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Another breadcrumb the series lays is the veterinarian's little black book. Saul's future book of clients?
Saul must be the one to buy it because the same book is seen in the opening of the season when the feds were seizing Saul's possessions. Plus, the Best Quality Vacuum business card seen in the book is Ed The Disappearer's (Robert Forster) cover business.

First time we've seen Howard's wife / ex-wife? I don't recall.
Yep. She was first mentioned a couple of episodes back when Howard was talking to his therapist and this is the first time that she's been shown. Presumably, the character must have some part in an upcoming story or they wouldn't have introduced her.

And my guess is that they're essentially divorced but it hasn't happened legally yet or they don't want to reveal it to their family and friends yet so they're basically just living together as roommates.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Reading a bit more about episode six today. I completely swung and missed on who portrayed Kim's mom in 1985. I would have bet money that it was Seehorn made up as her mother. But nope; it was actress Beth Hoyt.

I am so embarrassed. Where is the dunce cap emoji when you need it? Sheesh.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Reading a bit more about episode six today. I completely swung and missed on who portrayed Kim's mom in 1985. I would have bet money that it was Seehorn made up as her mother. But nope; it was actress Beth Hoyt.

I am so embarrassed. Where is the dunce cap emoji when you need it? Sheesh.

- Walter.
That's OK, you convinced me that I had missed that. :laugh: I wondered why they didn't use the same actress from the Season Five flashback.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
That's OK, you convinced me that I had missed that. :laugh: I wondered why they didn't use the same actress from the Season Five flashback.
He was so convincing to where I even told a couple people about it. Now who's the dunce?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
So I have been obsessing over what type of car Mrs. Wexler (Kim's mom) drove in 1985.

I found a still from last season's episode Wexler v. Goodman of the car; the scene where Kim refuses to get in the car when her mom tries to pick her up. Performed a Google Lens search on the image and it looks like the vehicle in question is an early '80s AMC Eagle. This car was in production from 1980 to 1987, so I am assuming that it was an early model since Kim's mom didn't strike me as the 'new car every year' type of person.

On another bit of BCS trivia, saw a still on the web showcasing the little black book during the Fed's seizure segment of the premiere. What was kind of fun was that in the same shot was the beanie that Saul attempted to bribe the court clerk with in Hit and Run. Love that kind of minutiae in this show.

- Walter.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not like it takes a psychic to see this but I get the feeling that tonight's episode will be another example of where Saul Goodman is right when he told someone to abort their plan. In Breaking Bad, he told Walt and Jesse to get out a bunch of times and he was always right and I'm pretty sure that he'll be right in telling Kim to not do it too.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a great episode and then that final scene took it to another level. Damn, what a way to go into the mid-season break.

While the episode was uniformly excellent, I especially enjoyed some of the camera work in this episode. Two moments that sort of stood out were the camera tracking through a 360 degree path while they worked on the fake mediator. Sure, it obviously called attention to itself, but the swirling movement did a good job of communicating the chaotic nature of the scene. The second shot was the top down view of Howard ascending the spiral staircase at HHM after things blew up. A nice visual metaphor for Howard chasing his tail.

Patrick Fabian turned in some of his best work in this episode. His reaction shot to seeing the mediator for the first time at the conference room was very memorable.

The flickering candle was a nice touch and definitely increased the tension of the final scene. It also serves as a visual metaphor for what transpires. If Jimmy and Kim hadn't done what they did then things would have played out very differently. So that is going to weigh heavily on their consciences.

Six episodes left. If Kim survives the encounter at the end of the episode, this may be her cue to disappear via the Vacuum Repair guy.

- Walter.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
BTW, the title of the episode takes on new significance in light of the final scene. Wow.

One more thing, great misdirection by Lalo.

- Walter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl333
Recent bookmarks